NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Dispatch Search Engine - NSFinder!

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Ilkhatova
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 23, 2022
Ex-Nation

NationStates Dispatch Search Engine - NSFinder!

Postby Ilkhatova » Sat May 14, 2022 9:32 am

NSFinder
I made a small website to search dispatches and factbooks all around NationStates. Here is it:
https://nsfinder.repl.co/

Vavlar
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 11, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Vavlar » Sat May 14, 2022 9:36 am

Nice. It works well.

Araznan
Envoy

Founded: Feb 12, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Araznan » Sat May 14, 2022 9:36 am

Works Pretty good!
Araznan,

Raider Delegate of the Eternal Order ▱▰▱▰ Vice-Delegate of The Eternal Order
March 16, 2022 - October 1st, 2022 ▱▰▱▰ October 1st, 2022 - November 2022

~Budding F7er~
▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat May 14, 2022 9:44 am

This search engine does not display all dispatches that contain a particular term (it never displays more than eight or nine for any given term, in fact): the dispatch Dramatis personae contains the word "acceptability," but it does not appear when you search NSFinder for "acceptability."

How are dispatches chosen to appear in search engine results, and why do they appear in the order they do? (Ordering does not appear to be based on upvote counts, readership, or dispatch age.)
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sat May 14, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Emetistan
Civilian

Founded: Feb 23, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Emetistan » Sat May 14, 2022 10:03 am

dude why is this site not working??

PhilTech
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 29, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Postby PhilTech » Sat May 14, 2022 10:05 am

Before that happens, it works fine. Not perfect, but already convenient for me. Gives me and the entire gameside community hope that this type of search engine is officially implemented.

Ilkhatova
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilkhatova » Sat May 14, 2022 10:11 am

I forgot that it has a rate limit lmao. It is based on Google search, so Google API gave HTTP error code 429 which means "too many requests" because so much people using it at the same time.

PhilTech
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 29, 2020
Capitalist Paradise

Postby PhilTech » Sat May 14, 2022 10:17 am

Ilkhatova wrote:Because so much people using it at the same time.

So what this means is, it's in demand and you brought a lot of our attention. When I first saw this in the "Latest Forum Topics", I was like; "Holy shit! The admins are finally awake! But then I found it was you, so now my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

No, just kidding :lol2:. You're cool.

Onionist Randosia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 28, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Onionist Randosia » Sat May 14, 2022 3:35 pm

Ilkhatova wrote:I forgot that it has a rate limit lmao. It is based on Google search, so Google API gave HTTP error code 429 which means "too many requests" because so much people using it at the same time.

Yeah, I’m also getting the error code. Clearly it’s popular. Would it be possible to tell how many people can go on it at a time before the rate limit kicks in?
PhilTech wrote:
Ilkhatova wrote:Because so much people using it at the same time.

So what this means is, it's in demand and you brought a lot of our attention. When I first saw this in the "Latest Forum Topics", I was like; "Holy shit! The admins are finally awake! But then I found it was you, so now my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

No, just kidding :lol2:. You're cool.

Yeah, the admins do really need to add a dispatch searcher, but in the entirely likely event that they don’t, we have this!
The People's Onionist Republic of Onionist Randosia
Call me OR or Randosia - they/them pronouns
Posts are OOC unless stated otherwise - posts do not represent official views of Aurora or InterLeft unless stated otherwise

Commissar of Foreign Affairs, Aurora
Former Deputy PM, PM and Minister of Defense of Asterya (now Aurora)
3x WA Delegate (among other things) of The Union of Great Onionist Nations, later Asterya, now Aurora
Founder, Administrator, past Chancellor and current Director of Defense, InterLeft
JEFF High Command
Astravica - Citizen, The Region That Has No Big Banks
Astravia - RPer, Distant Worlds
Gaviastan - Diplomacy Officer, Great Lakes Alliance, and GLA representative to the United Regions of Valeria
Sovetskiy Luk Navsegda!

Ilkhatova
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilkhatova » Sun May 15, 2022 12:05 am

UPDATE: The maximum number of search results is set to 100.

Haganham
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Haganham » Sun May 15, 2022 6:05 am

PhilTech wrote:

Before that happens, it works fine. Not perfect, but already convenient for me. Gives me and the entire gameside community hope that this type of search engine is officially implemented.

just use "site:nationstates.net" in google search.
Imagine reading a signature, but over the course of it the quality seems to deteriorate and it gets wose an wose, where the swenetence stwucture and gwammer rewerts to a pwoint of uttew non swence, an u jus dont wanna wead it anymwore (o´ω`o) awd twa wol owdewl iws jus awfwul (´・ω・`);. bwt tw sinawtur iwswnwt obwer nyet, it gwos own an own an own an own. uwu wanyaa stwop weadwing bwut uwu cwant stop wewding, uwu stwartd thwis awnd ur gwoing two fwinibsh it nowo mwattew wat! uwu hab mwoxie kwiddowo, bwut uwu wibl gwib ub sowon. i cwan wite wike dis fwor owors, swo dwont cwalengbe mii..

… wbats dis??? uwu awe stwill weedinb mwie sinatwr?? uwu habe awot ob detewemwinyanyatiom!! 。◕‿◕。! u habve comopweedid tha signwtr, good job!

Ilkhatova
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Ilkhatova » Sun May 15, 2022 11:02 am

Haganham wrote:
PhilTech wrote:

just use "site:nationstates.net" in google search.

Not just "site:nationstates.net", it will not show only the dispatches. To show only the dispatches, you need to search "site:nationstates.net/page=dispatch/". And this is how NSFinder works, it simply googles.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical