NATION

PASSWORD

Include Wikimedia Commons image sourcing

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Include Wikimedia Commons image sourcing

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:47 am

So I see the image sourcing through URL has been updated to include only a list of approved image hosting websites - Imgur, ImgBB, Postimage.

However, Wikimedia Commons is not an approved source; this means that worldbuilding or factbook pages which use Commons as a source of images now have to be rewritten. Here's a good example - all the unit symbols are sourced from Commons, which, above all, allows resizing of png images just by adding a string at the end of the URL, which is super convenient. Now to edit this page, I need to download all these PNGs, resize each of them manually, upload to Imgur/ImgBB/whatever, and re-link.

I'd strongly suggest Wikimedia Commons is added as an approved source of images, not just because of cases like this one, but purely out of convenience to anyone else who might want to use it.

Images in Commons are moderated, scalable and come in a variety of formats, they're perfect for illustrating anything from factbooks to posts to dispatches, and on top of that there's no breach of copyright (which probably wouldn't be the case with most other image hosting websites).
Last edited by Bulgar Rouge on Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

This nation does not reflect my RL views.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:I'm only saying that, well, even commies have reached the level of selling counterfeit and drugs in their storefronts, we can't be any less.

The Holy Therns wrote:Politicians make statements. It's their substitute for achievement.

Indo States
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Indo States » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:52 am

Bulgar Rouge wrote:So I see the image sourcing through URL has been updated to include only a list of approved image hosting websites - Imgur, ImgBB, Postimage.

However, Wikimedia Commons is not an approved source; this means that worldbuilding or factbook pages which use Commons as a source of images now have to be rewritten. Here's a good example - all the unit symbols are sourced from Commons, which, above all, allows resizing of png images just by adding a string at the end of the URL, which is super convenient. Now to edit this page, I need to download all these PNGs, resize each of them manually, upload to Imgur/ImgBB/whatever, and re-link.

I'd strongly suggest Wikimedia Commons is added as an approved source of images, not just because of cases like this one, but purely out of convenience to anyone else who might want to use it.

Images in Commons are moderated, scalable and come in a variety of formats, they're perfect for illustrating anything from factbooks to posts to dispatches, and on top of that there's no breach of copyright (which probably wouldn't be the case with most other image hosting websites).

it has been already included, but there is an problem related to the new Forum Software Bug that resulted into problems embedding Wikipedia Images. You can reuse it with a license which you need to attribute it and put it on other image hosts that worked.
Fédération Fatimanienné - Fatiman Federation
Country of Freedom and Education

I DO NOT USE NATIONSTATES STATS

Kingdom of the Indus
Attaché

Founded: Apr 14, 2021
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kingdom of the Indus » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:53 am

Is there a full list of all the approved image sources for NationStates?
♔ Indusian Colonial Empire ♔
- The Constitutional Monarchy of Kingdom of the Indus
- The Colony of New Indusia
- The Colony of Rhyddhad
- The Colony of Chandra Luna

Indo States
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Indo States » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:02 am

Kingdom of the Indus wrote:Is there a full list of all the approved image sources for NationStates?

there is an list of approved image sources in this forum post in technical
Fédération Fatimanienné - Fatiman Federation
Country of Freedom and Education

I DO NOT USE NATIONSTATES STATS

Return to Technical