NATION

PASSWORD

[Suggestion] Change “Corporal Punishment” to “Torture”

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
God Fearing Devoted
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 30, 2017
Corporate Police State

[Suggestion] Change “Corporal Punishment” to “Torture”

Postby God Fearing Devoted » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:13 am

Given it refers to how the government treats prisoners, it’s a more apt description. IMO “Corporal Punishment”
Is a private thing, I’d call it “spanking”, a valid policy to include IMO.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 am

The word "torture" is more commonly associated with interrogation, rather than punishment.

Homyland
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 25, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Homyland » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:24 am

Nope. "Corporal Punishment" is understandable and more family-friendly.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:03 am

Homyland wrote:Nope. "Corporal Punishment" is understandable and more family-friendly.

Uhh where does it say this game is meant to be 'family-friendly'? I mean it's obviously not some 18+ game, but the fact that there are specifically some issues that deal with topics that won't be given to class nations means that even the NS staff are aware that not everything to do with politics needs to be sanitized for younguns.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Homyland
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 25, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Homyland » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:30 am

Gandoor wrote:
Homyland wrote:Nope. "Corporal Punishment" is understandable and more family-friendly.

Uhh where does it say this game is meant to be 'family-friendly'? I mean it's obviously not some 18+ game, but the fact that there are specifically some issues that deal with topics that won't be given to class nations means that even the NS staff are aware that not everything to do with politics needs to be sanitized for younguns.

I mean, would you prefer to look at a sign that says "Corporal Punishment is applied to prisoners on this nation" or one that says "Prisoners on this nation are tortured". Cause, uhhh... the first one is wayyyyy less disturbing. And, NS has a lotta things being rebuilt, I think I prefer a new forum and Notices system that changing the name of a policy (and for worse).

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:51 am

I'm not seeing any reason to change this. The term "Corporal Punishment" most accurately reflect how the policy is used within issues.

Return to Technical