NATION

PASSWORD

Suggestion: Add a mute button for ROs with Communications

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Suggestion: Add a mute button for ROs with Communications

Postby Drew Durrnil » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Premise:
Allow Regional Officers (ROs) of a region with communications power to mute and unmute a player on the RMB (maximum of three mutes per day per RO). These mutes will prevent a nation from posting on the RMB much like site mods can temporarily lock an RMB or issue RMB bans to offending players.

Pros:
  • Spammers can stop spamming
  • A good punishment for players who break RMB rules
  • A RO can lift the punishment whenever they want to
  • Much more efficient than suppressing every post a spammer makes

Cons:
  • Can be misused
  • Can be used for petty purposes

So, what do you guys think?
Last edited by Drew Durrnil on Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:02 pm

Drew Durrnil wrote:Pros:
Cons:
  • Are limited, making it less useful in a spam attack

These cancel each other out. I don't like this. Not a fan as it currently stands.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Hasn't Cormac suggested this?
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Kors
Envoy

Founded: Dec 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kors » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:06 pm

Drew Durrnil wrote:Premise:
Allow Regional Officers (ROs) of a region with communications power to mute and unmute a player on the RMB (maximum of three mutes per day per RO). These mutes will prevent a nation from posting on the RMB much like site mods can temporarily lock an RMB or issue RMB bans to offending players.

Pros:
  • A good punishment for players who break RMB rules
  • A RO can lift the punishment whenever they want to
  • Much more efficient than suppressing every post a spammer makes

Cons:
  • Can be misused
  • Can be used for petty purposes
  • Are limited, making it less useful in a spam attack

Could be a tool for actual moderators. The moderation in nation-states is so unorganized, this could help NS on a better path
Hello. I'm Kors. Welcome to my sig.It's a normal sig, a completely ordinary sig, an indifferent sig. You won't find anything different in this sig. MY LEADER AND MILITARY ARE IN MY OVERVIEW FACTBOOK!!!!!!!
If any post is written about you, unless it is not relating to you or of very low effort, you do NOT have the right to /stillme anybody. This is ridiculous.
news
Planned obsolescence banned in Kors : Several unknown satellites crash land into highest mountain in Iceland : Korsian welfare programs cut spending by 50% : Terrorist attacks on the Korsian governmental building result in the enaction of the emergency measures act : Carbon monoxide threat in southern Kors due to wildfires : Giant potato rolls off and chases farmer off mountain into the city, crushing and mortally injuring 3

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:04 pm

Kors wrote:Could be a tool for actual moderators.

We already have the ability to mute players or even whole regions.

Kors wrote:The moderation in nation-states is so unorganized, this could help NS on a better path

I have no idea why you think that. The only issue is that we depend on player reports. If you don't report regional issues, we have a very small chance of stumbling across it.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:24 pm

So, is this an idea people think could be useful, or not? I can't suggest it to the admin if there is little to no interest in it.

I can see why ROs might want to mute disruptive posters. What would be the cons of doing this?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Allow RO to mute/unmute posters a max of 3x per day

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:36 pm

viewtopic.php?p=38763272#p38763272

Drew Durrnil made this suggestion in the Comms idea thread. I am interested in seeing what players think the pros and cons of such a feature would be. Is this something that we want to add in the RMB upgrade? Why or why not?

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:40 pm

It seems like it would be a decent way to slap players on the wrist without ruining their residency by sending them to TRR. Or a decent way to cool off an RMB when things are getting heated enough that something needs to be done, but not heated enough to warrant ejections or bans based on the rules of whatever region it's in.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:44 pm

I too support new features that will not be abused by mods at all.

This would be abused by mods - if a region owner can mute me a mod can too. Region moderation is fine the way it is.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:48 pm

Orostan wrote:I too support new features that will not be abused by mods at all.

This would be abused by mods - if a region owner can mute me a mod can too. Region moderation is fine the way it is.

Literally any moderation ability can be abused. The ejections and bans can be abused, but we still have them. I assume most regions with a stable government wouldn't see any more power abuse than they ordinarily have.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:06 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Orostan wrote:I too support new features that will not be abused by mods at all.

Literally any moderation ability can be abused. The ejections and bans can be abused, but we still have them. I assume most regions with a stable government wouldn't see any more power abuse than they ordinarily have.

The issue isn’t region people it is NS website moderators.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Kors
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kors » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Katganistan wrote:So, is this an idea people think could be useful, or not? I can't suggest it to the admin if there is little to no interest in it.

I can see why ROs might want to mute disruptive posters. What would be the cons of doing this?

Usually these posters are banned, so they pretty much just make a puppet to go into the region and "continue their legacy". TWP has severe issues with people doing that. It's so severe that often moderators have to do multiple puppetsweeps.
Last edited by Kors on Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello. I'm Kors. Welcome to my sig.It's a normal sig, a completely ordinary sig, an indifferent sig. You won't find anything different in this sig. MY LEADER AND MILITARY ARE IN MY OVERVIEW FACTBOOK!!!!!!!
If any post is written about you, unless it is not relating to you or of very low effort, you do NOT have the right to /stillme anybody. This is ridiculous.
news
Planned obsolescence banned in Kors : Several unknown satellites crash land into highest mountain in Iceland : Korsian welfare programs cut spending by 50% : Terrorist attacks on the Korsian governmental building result in the enaction of the emergency measures act : Carbon monoxide threat in southern Kors due to wildfires : Giant potato rolls off and chases farmer off mountain into the city, crushing and mortally injuring 3

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:09 pm

Orostan wrote:
Kathol Rift wrote:Literally any moderation ability can be abused. The ejections and bans can be abused, but we still have them. I assume most regions with a stable government wouldn't see any more power abuse than they ordinarily have.

The issue isn’t region people it is NS website moderators.

This isn't talking about NS mods, it's talking about giving Regional Officers mute powers. NS mods already have those kinds of powers, I believe.
Hot Girls Vote

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:12 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:This isn't talking about NS mods, it's talking about giving Regional Officers mute powers. NS mods already have those kinds of powers, I believe.

Correct. NS Mods have lots of mute and ban tools already, and have had them for years. This is about ROs.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:03 pm

Katganistan wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=38763272#p38763272

Drew Durrnil made this suggestion in the Comms idea thread. I am interested in seeing what players think the pros and cons of such a feature would be. Is this something that we want to add in the RMB upgrade? Why or why not?

Wrote up a big post on this but dumbly didn't back it up before I clicked post, which deleted it all when the duplicate topic was merged back.

I'm against, the idea has popped up a lot in the past, taking various forms. Almost exclusively has been posted by players who can't face their region members seeing viewpoints other than their own, but also don't want to eject the nation posting. Thankfully, despite this, admin/moderation has held strong until now.

There is a vast selection of prior threads on this, and I won't bother to rewrite my views on it again (as they're in old threads), but I'll just link a few below in the spoiler:

Reploid Productions wrote:And here to be a buzzkill as to why it is incredibly unlikely that this would be implemented:

1) It hurts intra-regional politicking, as whoever has the mute power can completely censor/silence the opposition. With regular post suppression, players can still view what was written, and use that information to determine whether or not the suppression was justified, and respond accordingly.

2) Such a tool would be immediately used by raiders to censor an invaded region and perform reason #1 everywhere.

3) If someone is posting rulebreaking material (flaming/trolling/spamming,) silencing them is a moderation matter. We have the Getting Help page for that.

4) Completely muting someone's ability to post to an RMB is a game moderator power. That is not something that can or should be handed out to non-moderators.

CAPTAIN BUZZKILL AWAAAAAAAAAY!

(Image)
~Evil Forum Empress Rep Prod the Ninja Mod
~She who wields the Banhammer; master of the mighty moderation no-dachi Kiritateru Teikoku

Ballotonia wrote:You can already chose from which regions nation can post on your RMB, by selecting only those to exchange an embassy with those regions' nations you trust.

For RMB posting control we have the suppression mechanism, allowing a founder or delegate to suppress undesirable posts from the RMB.

The only option to prevent nations from posting to your RMB in the first place is to ban them from your region.

Note that the price for silencing others is it being public that you do so. This is on purpose.

Ballotonia

Reploid Productions wrote:Just going to be a total Captain Buzzkill (I'm apparently good at that) and share the last "RMB ban" suggestion where Fris pretty neatly spelled out why that's pretty unlikely to happen, along with [violet] basically saying that it's a fix looking for a problem.
Above is Reppy's summary of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=358038#p26411781 - Fris/Blaat/Mouse against, Sedge posting but not expressing a view (just yelling at someone for contributing nothing), [v] saying it's feasible, but not much different from suppression/ejection.

viewtopic.php?p=32622035#p32622035 - Fris/Elu against in this one.

Obviously past views don't always represent present ones, but all current admins bar two (Pyth/Salusa who aren't super active), and all current Senior Mods bar two (Sedge who expressed no view, and Katganistan) have expressed views against this in the past. Obviously, they are all viewpoints, and Katganistan's view is the only one that counts here, but as the current idea stands, I'm against. Fine with auto-suppression, as the posts are still visible to players that are interested, but not with non-mods either deleting players posts/preventing them from being able to post at all on their own RMB.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Kors
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kors » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:06 am

This is pretty much not going to happen, because admins are literally human beings and require sleep, food and drink. adding code in HTML would require to rewrite the code for regions, and that could be temporarily disastrous due to people taking advantage of that, and unless the entire site is shut down for around a few days, this update is not going to happen. besides, there are much more useful things that could be scripted.
news

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:31 am

Kors wrote:This is pretty much not going to happen, because admins are literally human beings and require sleep, food and drink.

I don't remember adding you to the staff, so I'm pretty sure your blanket statement about what the staff can or cannot do is irrelevant. You've made several incorrect assumptions in this thread alone. Perhaps you should just read topics for a bit, and stop posting until you have a better clue about how things work here.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:48 am

There are plenty of players on NS who have contributed loads to the game, but were annoying and spammy in their earlier years and therefore might have been muted by over-zealous Regional Officers. A mute feature puts people off participating - particularly in the current age when people expect instant communication - and I feel it would be damaging to player retention to add one.

Indusse
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Indusse » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:51 am

This is a promising feature to the gameplay, we can find a lot of nations spamming in the RMBs of many regions. This could also be used by the ROs to mute "troublemakers". Would like to see this implemented.
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------

Resume
Issue Author: #1428
IAC 13 Champions

Les Claypool
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Les Claypool » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:37 pm

Indusse wrote:This is a promising feature to the gameplay, we can find a lot of nations spamming in the RMBs of many regions. This could also be used by the ROs to mute "troublemakers". Would like to see this implemented.

I think it would only be reasonable if it had a small time limit, but doesn't seem to be worth the hassle to me. Suppression and ejection already exist. Tools which prevent unwelcome posts and spam. Then there is reporting and mod intervention for anything well out of hand.
Former TWPAF
Resident of The West Pacific
"I am the Anti-Pop, the one you got to stop"

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:42 pm

Sedgistan wrote:There are plenty of players on NS who have contributed loads to the game, but were annoying and spammy in their earlier years and therefore might have been muted by over-zealous Regional Officers. A mute feature puts people off participating - particularly in the current age when people expect instant communication - and I feel it would be damaging to player retention to add one.

I am inclined to agree on this. RO's already possess the ability to suppress and can report RMB posts via the link. That should suffice.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Giovanniland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 10, 2019
Corporate Bordello

Postby Giovanniland » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:49 am

I just can't see why this is needed if we already have ejections and bans. Furthermore, in Cormac's thread about replacing ban buttons with mutes there were some additional issues raised: such as the fact banjected players can immediately join another community (TRR) and talk there, while muted players would not have access to any RMB and would need to figure it out.

Kors wrote:
Katganistan wrote:So, is this an idea people think could be useful, or not? I can't suggest it to the admin if there is little to no interest in it.

Usually these posters are banned, so they pretty much just make a puppet to go into the region and "continue their legacy". TWP has severe issues with people doing that. It's so severe that often moderators have to do multiple puppetsweeps.

As a resident of TWP I also think this information is incorrect. One person doing this each few months or so isn't a "severe issue", especially since the last time this happened we were able to act quickly, banject the puppets and eventually report them for doing it in such a big scale that was deemed by the mods puppetsweep-worthy. Plus, I fail to see how mutes would solve it. It's not like a muted person wouldn't be able to move a puppet and challenge the mute, so literally nothing changes except that the muted nations now stay in the region instead of being banjected.
The Kingdom of Giovanniland

51st Delegate of the West Pacific
Former TWP Speaker of the Hall (x3), Guardian and Minister of Foreign Affairs

WA Author (SC#364, SC#372, SC#373, SC#377)
Card Collector (once the highest deck value ever at 26 million, maintains the Collection Collection Thread)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical