NATION

PASSWORD

Moderation Technical Development Thread

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Moderation Technical Development Thread

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:33 am

Following the topics by collegues, and per this News post first: https://www.nationstates.net/page=news/ ... index.html :

I'm now running technical development for Moderation. It's important to note that this refers to technical developments that touch on the Moderation sphere - this is NOT a Moderation Policy thread. Most of what I'll be managing are the tools the moderators use backstage, so I'm not expecting a lot of player ideas, and most of those are going to fall into the realm of "technically not possible". We can't, for instance, give moderator tools (such as the ability for OPs to lock threads) to players. The phpBB software doesn't support it.
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Before we go any further, I want to make clear that the Bad Faith standard is being imposed in this thread. You are expected to post in good faith. If your post is in bad faith, it will be removed. In particular, the following is not welcome - questioning why I'm running it (I am, deal with it), dismissing this all as a waste of time, sniping between players, taking me listing any idea below as "under consideration" as a sign that I (or the rest of the staff) are hell-bent on destroying the GA, etc. Don't pick a fight here, you'll lose.

The purpose of this thread is to gather views on:

1) What the current issues are with Moderation tools
2) Brief suggestions on what tech changes can be made to address them - I would prefer links to existing threads. If an idea doesn't have a thread, make one and link it here.

Keep your posts brief - they should follow the following simple format: tell me what the issue is, tell me what your solution is, link me to the thread where I can find a detailed discussion.

This thread is not meant for back and forth discussion debating the merits of any given idea - each idea should have its own thread in technical, this thread is meant to provide me with a central repository of ideas that I can work off of. I will be surprised if we see many, or even any, practical suggestions in this thread.

Current list of ideas under consideration (in no particular order):
Last edited by Sedgistan on Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Updated in line with change to Bad Faith rule enforcement.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:05 am

GHR history. If I get a reply I want to be able to see what I sent.

Edit: Prior discussion that didn't go anywhere: viewtopic.php?p=27338860#p27338860

Modedit - the linked thread has been bumped for more input
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:25 pm

pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:09 pm

pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:07 pm

get notified whenever you get reported (post not from thread quoted), warned, or banned.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:44 am

Cross-posting here as recommended by Reppy:
Esternial wrote:A small feature, but it might be nice to add the ability to highlight posts in a thread - giving this "ability" to Moderators and OPs - to allow users navigating the thread to more readily see important posts and announcements.

I worked out a small visual POC below using a screenshot from the current forum:

For OP-marked posts, it would obviously have to be a different color to avoid "Mod impersonation", but it would also mean Mods no longer need to use the WARN tags. Just tick a box in their reply to color their post with red righteous fury.

----------------------------
I also had an additional suggestion which for some reason I posted in a completely wrong thread. It's quite long, so to summarize it down to the essentials:

1/ A "report" button next to the "quote" and "edit" buttons that spawns a "mode=reply" window in Moderation, with some information templated into the post. Users would then get the opportunity to edit the report and hit "submit" (so it's a 2-click report, not an auto-report)

2/ Introduce additional fields alongside the "Subject" field. Sole instance I can now think of is "Offender", which would behave very similar to the Telegram's autocomplete "To" field.

Option 2 ties into a wider suggestion for Moderation, which is to move more towards a proper ticketing system.
Last edited by Esternial on Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 03, 2017
Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:33 am

I dont know how easy this would be to implement, but would it be possible to add a system that automatically includes the request and response history of a particular task ID in a spoiler at the bottom of any VoM TGs that get sent regarding that task ID? Essentially copying the task history with request and response that the mods can view and provide if you ask. For example if I sent the following GHR:
"Hey can I get X number of stamps moved"

Then the reply with the feature might look something like:

re: Wymondham's Help Request (#XXXXX)
To respond to this message, please click here.
--------------------------------
Yes.
#XXXXXX 1 hour ago
Hey, can I get X number of stamps moved"

The idea behind this is that it stops people asking for a rules clarification from having to send a GHR asking for proof that they asked for XYZ, and the mods from having to deal with such requests" and may be a useful quality of life feature.
Doer of the things and the stuffs.
That British dude who does the charity fundraiser.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:29 pm

It's not an unreasonable request but ...
Wymondham wrote:I dont know how easy this would be to implement,

... I've asked for some tasklist changes recently, and it's not that easy. Also, there are a ton of ideas currently in process. While I'm not ruling it out in future, I'm not going to take it forward right now.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical