NATION

PASSWORD

Will there ever be a "Cost of Living" Stat?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Concord Provinces
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Will there ever be a "Cost of Living" Stat?

Postby Concord Provinces » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:59 am

I don't know if this is where I should post my question, but I think it may be.

Recently I've been thinking about the incomes across my nations. In some, the rich earn way more than the poor, in some, they're nearly the same. While this and the disposal income stat give a good idea how much the average person makes, I feel it doesn't give much of an idea on how much they spend on their necessities per annum.

I was wondering if there would ever be a Stat for Cost of Living, to give a general idea just how rich or poor the citizens really are. For instance, maybe the cost of living in Concord Provinces is 45,600 Imperial coins per annum, while the average citizen makes around 60,000 IC per annum. This would help to understand just how much the average citizen has to himself after the basic necessities of life are taken care of.

I don't believe there is a Cost of Living stat, but I think it'd be pretty useful in terms of understanding how a nation's economy is doing and how much it costs the average person to live in the nation. I just wanted to know if this was a good idea or if it was already being worked on. Thanks in advance.

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:31 am

There is Average Disposable Income, however the game's definition of the state makes it seem like a clone of Freedom From Taxation:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=list_ ... ensusid=85
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Concord Provinces
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Concord Provinces » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:06 pm

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:There is Average Disposable Income, however the game's definition of the state makes it seem like a clone of Freedom From Taxation:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=list_ ... ensusid=85

Yes, there is the average disposable income, yet like you said, it seems like a clone of freedom from taxation. The stat tells one how much a citizen has after taxes, but not how much is spent on the necessities of life. Surely this isn't important or extremely vital to the game, but I feel it'd be a nice addition to the game.

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:09 am

1. The description for 'Average Income' suggests that are standardised to a fixed purchasing power (GDP=PPP), so local price differences are already accounted for. This means that one SMU should always buy an equivalent sum of goods according to a fixed standard of value (although relative prices for specific goods will vary considerably, due to things like the Balassa-Samuelson effect, differences in infrastructure/fixed capital being factored into commodity prices for end consumers, etc.).
2. 'Cost of living' is only a meaningful construct relative to a fixed standard of living. Normative living standards will vary between nations with different per capita incomes. A middle class standard of living in a poor country may amount to relative poverty in a developed country. Thus a common standard of living by which to measure cost of living cannot be applied to countries with different per capita incomes.

Return to Technical