NATION

PASSWORD

Mobile Compatibility?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Kashimura
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Mobile Compatibility?

Postby Kashimura » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:51 pm

They aren’t problems that were particularly bad outside of being a mild annoyance, but I’ve been having two issues since I joined this game.
1. Flickering Flags: I don’t remember if I brought it up when I first came here a year ago, but on both gameside and forumside, flags will frequently get screwed up. This can be partially or wholly replacing another flag or it can be some kind of alignment error like pictured below. It’s pretty benign and mostly be dispelled by touching the flag without clicking on it (I think it’s the mobile equivalent of hovering over it) or just scrolling really far, but it made the recent Best Nation game for April Fools’ unplayable on my end, which is when I decided it might be worth bringing up. It also affects regional flags and, on a slight tangent, the actual “vs.” graphic from Best Nation.

2. Site Sizes: I was politely notified once that my signature was too big, but it looked fine to me and I had encountered sigs far larger. After digging around, I realized that the discrepancy was the actual width of the site itself on mobile. I had too many linebreaks whereas other users were able to shunt so much information into one line that happened to run over on mobile. Mobile’s strange sizes also make factbooks quite narrow when using boxes, as well as handle font sizes differently. I’ve made separate versions of my eternally unfinished factbooks to compensate. For reference, I have included a picture of Greater Miami Shores, who is in no violation of signature rules, but on mobile takes up fifteen lines with their signature alone. It’s also why my own signature is so horizontally compact and sparse.

As a programming student, I understand it might take some serious looking at the code and that some problems are better left untouched, but I figured someone higher up than me would want to know. No idea if anyone else is having this problem.
⛔️ OUR IMPERIAL FACTBOOKS ARE UNDER ⛔️
⛔️ CONSTRUCTION! ⛔️
⚠️ Currently operating WIP factbooks. ⚠️
This empire DOES NOT use NSStats, but it does guide its own NSStats to better fit the nation.

An 11.75 civilization, according to this index.

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 pm

I use NS quite frequently with Firefox on Android and have never seen the flag flickering issue before. It could be something to do with the way your device/browser is caching the images. Either way I will concede that the sig issue is annoying.

For the sig issue, if you navigate into the User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit display options, you can turn signatures off. I understand that's probably quite a pain to constantly toggle if you switch between mobile and desktop regularly, but it could help you in the meantime.
Last edited by Drongonia on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms
Attaché

Founded: Feb 28, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 pm

There's also a slight problem with flags too.

Sometimes, a flag glitches out by having some patch of pixels transparent. Do someone have this issue too?
Last edited by Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huh

Kashimura
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kashimura » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:46 pm

Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms wrote:There's also a slight problem with flags too.

Sometimes, a flag glitches out by having some patch of pixels transparent. Do someone have this issue too?

Part of the flag alignment problem I’ve been having includes the entire flag being off center, with blank portions after the edge of the flag. Is it something like that?
Drongonia wrote:I use NS quite frequently with Firefox on Android and have never seen the flag flickering issue before. It could be something to do with the way your device/browser is caching the images. Either way I will concede that the sig issue is annoying.

For the sig issue, if you navigate into the User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit display options, you can turn signatures off. I understand that's probably quite a pain to constantly toggle if you switch between mobile and desktop regularly, but it could help you in the meantime.

I guess it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was my device, but I’d think numerous people would’ve had these problems long before me if that were the case. The signature toggling is at least a partial fix though, so thanks.
⛔️ OUR IMPERIAL FACTBOOKS ARE UNDER ⛔️
⛔️ CONSTRUCTION! ⛔️
⚠️ Currently operating WIP factbooks. ⚠️
This empire DOES NOT use NSStats, but it does guide its own NSStats to better fit the nation.

An 11.75 civilization, according to this index.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:01 am

I have seen flag flickering, although only very rarely. This, I feel, must be a browser bug, since there's no way I can cause this kind of effect on purpose. It may be the result of a rare interplay of image type, CSS, and browser type. If we can reproduce it, we should report it to a browser vendor.

The forum is indeed horrific on mobile, and the sig size rules are mobile-ignorant.

Return to Technical