NATION

PASSWORD

Problem with @@LEADERPLURAL@@ issue macro

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Giovanniland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 10, 2019
Corporate Bordello

Problem with @@LEADERPLURAL@@ issue macro

Postby Giovanniland » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:40 am

Apologies if this kind of thread goes in the Got Issues forum, but for me it seems more of a technical problem than something in the issue itself.

I answered option 4 of Issue #617 "Who's This Little Rascal?", whose effect line uses the @@LEADERPLURAL@@ macro, and the resulting national happening stated "Following new legislation in Giovanniland, cute fluffy little King Giovanni we are increasingly popular exotic pets."

It seems the game interpreted the "I" in my leader name King Giovanni I as the 1st person pronoun and changed it to the plural "we", when it's actually a numeral to differentiate a ruler from others with the same name. On one hand, I thought about not reporting this since it's technically working as intended and changing the singular "I" to the plural "we" correctly. On the other hand, I believe the vast majority of people use "I" in their national leader's name as a way to distinguish two or more leaders with the same name and very few would actually use it with as the 1st person pronoun. After all, it's a personal name and not a pronoun, so this plural rule doesn't make sense to be coded into the @@LEADERPLURAL@@ macro, unlike other macros like animal or currency who deal with common nouns.
Last edited by Giovanniland on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Kingdom of Giovanniland

51st Delegate of the West Pacific
Former TWP Speaker of the Hall (x3), Guardian and Minister of Foreign Affairs

WA Author (SC#364, SC#372, SC#373, SC#377)
Card Collector (once the highest deck value ever at 26 million, maintains the Collection Collection Thread)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:12 pm

The game uses the same pluralization code for all macros, so adding special treatment for @@LEADERPLURAL@@, while probably possible, would at least be inconvenient.

However, I can't really think of a sensible reason to have a pronoun for any custom field. Even without pluralization, it'd cause problems due to how pronouns change depending on their position in the sentence ("I" versus "me", etc.), which no other English word does.

The closest would be if you set something like "graven image of me" as your currency, but then the correct plural of that would be "graven images of me", not "graven image of us".

Giovanniland
Diplomat

Corporate Bordello

Postby Giovanniland » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:23 pm

Trotterdam wrote:The game uses the same pluralization code for all macros, so adding special treatment for @@LEADERPLURAL@@, while probably possible, would at least be inconvenient.

However, I can't really think of a sensible reason to have a pronoun for any custom field. Even without pluralization, it'd cause problems due to how pronouns change depending on their position in the sentence ("I" versus "me", etc.), which no other English word does.

The closest would be if you set something like "graven image of me" as your currency, but then the correct plural of that would be "graven images of me", not "graven image of us".

Yeah, due to the special characteristics of pronouns I do understand that it might be inconvenient to add lots of exceptions for a probably minor problem (added to the fact I've never seen the @@LEADERPLURAL@@ macro in an issue before so that must mean it's quite a rare sight). I'll leave the decision on whether it's worth it to the admins, though.

Interesting that I just tested setting "graven image of me" as currency, and it does result in the correct plural "graven images of me". However, a common noun that I believe can be either spelt as one word or two words (and can be confused with a possessive pronoun in the latter case) - land mine - returns "land ours" as the plural which is clearly incorrect.
Last edited by Giovanniland on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Card Collector (once the highest deck value ever at 26 million, maintains the Collection Collection Thread)

Kashimura
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kashimura » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:51 pm

It’s not the most elegant solution nor does it particularly address the overarching problem, but you could always change the name field to “King Giovanni the 1st” in the meantime, as a stopgap until a better solution comes along.
⛔️ OUR IMPERIAL FACTBOOKS ARE UNDER ⛔️
⛔️ CONSTRUCTION! ⛔️
⚠️ Currently operating WIP factbooks. ⚠️
This empire DOES NOT use NSStats, but it does guide its own NSStats to better fit the nation.

An 11.75 civilization, according to this index.

Giovanniland
Diplomat

Corporate Bordello

Postby Giovanniland » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Kashimura wrote:It’s not the most elegant solution nor does it particularly address the overarching problem, but you could always change the name field to “King Giovanni the 1st” in the meantime, as a stopgap until a better solution comes along.

Yeah, that's a fair solution while I wait to see if this is solved. Thanks for the idea!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:26 pm

Or, you know, you could just not worry about it because there's only one issue in the game that uses @@LEADERPLURAL@@ and it'll probably be months before you get it again.

Return to Technical