NATION

PASSWORD

What's going on with page load times?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Witchcraft and Sorcery
Envoy

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

What's going on with page load times?

Postby Witchcraft and Sorcery » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 am

Today at minor update I and some other defenders, all in very different parts of the world, all noticed that pages were loading extremely slowly. Especially events that created a happening, like moving regions or endorsing a nation, were talking orders of magnitude longer to occur. Pages that used to load in 200-300ms were loading in 2000-3000ms or more etc. It seemed to be happening regardless of location, connection, or any other possible user-side explanation. Defending against tag raids was nearly impossible with page loads of this time.

Long story short... fix pls? :p

In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice. Commended by SC #429.
Represented in the WA by the mysterious hooded figures lurking in the dog park, speaking through voice changers.

[8:17 PM] Dakota: You're a lame moralist
[8:17 PM] Dakota: But it's okay because the rest of your personality makes up for it

Alfonzo
Envoy

Founded: Dec 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Alfonzo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:15 am

Hi I'm bumping this again because I'm salt we had the same issue again.

I usually get a consistent 200-300ms on my pageloads but now I see them take 6 seconds or more to load causing me to miss a lot of jumps. This same instablity has been going on for quite awhile ever since The Embassy's embassies were closed en masse and I would like a concrete answer
✯ ✯ ✯ In War, Victory. In Peace, Vigilance. In Death, Sacrifice: TGW ✯ ✯ ✯
Made ya look!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:20 am

Alfonzo wrote:Hi I'm bumping this again because I'm salt we had the same issue again.

I usually get a consistent 200-300ms on my pageloads but now I see them take 6 seconds or more to load causing me to miss a lot of jumps. This same instablity has been going on for quite awhile ever since The Embassy's embassies were closed en masse and I would like a concrete answer

Sorry, best I can do is balsa wood.

I’ll ping the admins to see what’s going on.

Witchcraft and Sorcery
Envoy

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Witchcraft and Sorcery » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 am

Thanks Luna.

For context: I notice this most consistently when chasing raiders using https://www.nationstates.net/template-o ... ge=reports with tools like Breeze and the like. Normal page loads, card farming scripts, etc seem to be fine. Moving, endorsing nations, and adding nations to the dossier take orders of magnitude longer than normal. I don't have the best page loads owing to wifi and being in Europe, but normally I can refresh the reports, see the raiders moving, and follow them either in the same second or within 1-2 seconds.

In the last few days, my page loads have jumped to the point where I am often not able to dossier a nation in time, let alone refresh the reports and follow raiders. Refreshing any page takes 1000ms at a minimum, and then following often takes at least 5 seconds, by which point the region has already updated.

In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice. Commended by SC #429.
Represented in the WA by the mysterious hooded figures lurking in the dog park, speaking through voice changers.

[8:17 PM] Dakota: You're a lame moralist
[8:17 PM] Dakota: But it's okay because the rest of your personality makes up for it

Frenchy II
Envoy

Founded: May 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenchy II » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:13 pm

From the raider perspective of things-

Region pages seem seriously broken in particular. Though I’ve noticed the entire site to be slow during updates (both minor and major), and my switching speeds are becoming slower due to page loads, I can certainly say that region pages in particular seem to be the issue. I find this using both template=none and full region pages. At last major I noticed that my usual 175-300ms page loads were suddenly coming in as 1.6 seconds or larger consistently. This new, strange change in update is not only page loads however. This comes with update times as well. Chicken Overlords, the first significant break in update, usually updates at around 12-11-12-12 EST, but last major it began updating at 12:18 EST if I recall correctly. I’d be a fool to say that inconsistent page loads and strange issues with region pages are new to NationStates, at this point they’re something to accept as part of R/D. However, this over-a-second-long increase in page load times with no predictability or pattern on a regular update-to-update basis has never happened before. This issue has become the most notable and problematic for R/Ders since my raid on The Embassy about a week ago. Thanks, and I will be eagerly awaiting admin response to this issue.
Supreme Commander of Lily
Co-Author of SC Resolution #353

"That kid (Frenchy II) organized a flawless invasion." -Mikeswill
"Frenchy is the pinnacle of etiquette." -Agalaesia 10/29/2020
"Frenchy is a nice modern person." -Xoriet 10/29/2020
"If Frenchy owned a GCR they would turn it into a warzone." -Jinkies 10/17/2020
"I love sweeze... and Frenchy." -Tim 6/24/2020

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:16 pm

Not much to add besides what has been said, but it's making the site close to inaccessible during some points of update.

I will note the lag is especially bad on region pages, if that's helpful at all for Admin.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:07 pm

Sorry about that. A caching service that massively speeds up loading & saving times had crashed. I have now restarted it.

It's crashed twice in the past week, so there is probably some underlying cause I have yet to detect.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical