NATION

PASSWORD

Suggestion: Issues Author Badge for Co-Authors

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Suggestion: Issues Author Badge for Co-Authors

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:33 am

Hey there, technical! I have posted here today to request that issues co-authors also receive the issues badge. In the past, people have suggested WA co-authors get special co-author badges and whatnot. I am aware that such fixes have been described as rather difficult, but I believe that this badge granting in particular will not require as much effort. (Disclaimer: I could be completely incorrect about this. Mods and admins, please correct me if what I say is nonsense/impossible to implement)

From here, it appears that Issues Moderators have the ability to add badges to nations. (Again, I do not know this for sure) So I believe that in lieu of a technical solution (to save admins time), the moderators could simply apply the badge to any co-author whenever an issue gets published, in addition to all current co-authors without the badge. As issues co-authors aren't as common as those in the WA, this would not be a very frequent occurrence, so moderators would not have to waste too much time doing this all the time. I do not even believe that creating a special 'Issues Co-author' badge is necessary - since Issues Co-authors are credited less like co-authors but more like joint-authors (Authored by Nation X and Nation Y, as opposed to Authored by Nation X, co-authored by Nation Y).

I believe this protocol will be a good idea as many issues co-authors often put as much work into the issue as the author, so it's only fair that they get the credit to. For example, Jutsa has often said that they believe that their issues co-author Australian rePublic should had gotten the badge for the issue instead. This change may also encourage more people to help co-author issues.

I hope to see this, or a similar change, implemented! Thanks for reading!

Appendix A: List of current issues co-authors

Tishanda Issue#628
Zwangzug Issue#700
Australian rePublic Issue#895
Baggieland Issue#1041
Pogaria Issue#1059
Tinhampton Issue#1115
Caracasus Issue#1119
Jutsa Issue#1137
Canyamel Issue 1268
Australian rePublic (again) Issue 1426
she/her
Managing Director of Lazarus and The MT Army Warrior
stuff i wrote
Need me? Click here!
Biggest acheivement: Spelling
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Assistant to the Ambassador: Rekeil Wrigglesworth II
Official Coffee-fetcher and Masseuse: Jonathan Santos de Oliveira
Wonderess wrote:frankly someone I don’t want to see gain influence in NS and by extension TNP

User avatar
Sedgistan
Senior Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 29664
Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:53 am

I'll run it by the issues team. If they're happy with it, I'm sure Luna and myself would get the badges done.

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:57 am

Sedgistan wrote:I'll run it by the issues team. If they're happy with it, I'm sure Luna and myself would get the badges done.

Thanks for the quick response!
she/her
Managing Director of Lazarus and The MT Army Warrior
stuff i wrote
Need me? Click here!
Biggest acheivement: Spelling
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Assistant to the Ambassador: Rekeil Wrigglesworth II
Official Coffee-fetcher and Masseuse: Jonathan Santos de Oliveira
Wonderess wrote:frankly someone I don’t want to see gain influence in NS and by extension TNP

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 12646
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:17 am

I honestly thought that was already automated, so I'm in favor.

User avatar
HumanSanity
Envoy
 
Posts: 306
Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby HumanSanity » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:06 am

If we're doing this for issues, why not for WA resolutions?
HumanSanity
Legislator of the South Pacific
Security Council Correspondent for Refugia
Former Delegate of 10000 Islands and Chief Executive of Renegade Islands Alliance

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:15 pm

HumanSanity wrote:If we're doing this for issues, why not for WA resolutions?

I would support something like this, but there appears to be some technical limitations:

viewtopic.php?p=36535766#p36535766
Last edited by Honeydewistania on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
she/her
Managing Director of Lazarus and The MT Army Warrior
stuff i wrote
Need me? Click here!
Biggest acheivement: Spelling
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Assistant to the Ambassador: Rekeil Wrigglesworth II
Official Coffee-fetcher and Masseuse: Jonathan Santos de Oliveira
Wonderess wrote:frankly someone I don’t want to see gain influence in NS and by extension TNP

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 29504
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:19 pm

HumanSanity wrote:If we're doing this for issues, why not for WA resolutions?


If players continue the same patterns of authoring as now, doing this for issues would be a smaller workload than doing it for the WA. The WA has a culture of more frequent co-authoring and larger numbers of co-authors, so that would create a larger workload for mods.

Right now, the issues team is talking about doing it for issues, but we can't make that decision for the WA.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
NationStates issues editors may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 12646
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:43 am

After an internal discussion with the Editing team, we've decided to go ahead with this change. I've verified and manually added the issue authorship to the listed nations in the OP.

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:14 am

Luna Amore wrote:After an internal discussion with the Editing team, we've decided to go ahead with this change. I've verified and manually added the issue authorship to the listed nations in the OP.

Thanks!
she/her
Managing Director of Lazarus and The MT Army Warrior
stuff i wrote
Need me? Click here!
Biggest acheivement: Spelling
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Assistant to the Ambassador: Rekeil Wrigglesworth II
Official Coffee-fetcher and Masseuse: Jonathan Santos de Oliveira
Wonderess wrote:frankly someone I don’t want to see gain influence in NS and by extension TNP

User avatar
SherpDaWerp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1072
Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:22 pm

Just wondering whether a change like this is also being considered, given the authorships up to #1268 predate S2 snapshot, and the authorships up to #1119 (as best I can tell, #1137 was just after, but y'all can get the exact dates anyway) predate S1 snapshot.

I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no, given how that change has to go up the tree to Admin intervention, but it should at least be noted that now, Tishanda, Tinhampton, and Canyamel all have no issues badges on their cards - despite now having badges for co-authored issues published prior to card snapshots.
My Got Issues? contributions | An Abridged History of GI (+additions)
Any premise tips, option structure, re-written bits, advice, or ideas for issues that I provide are fair game to be used by anyone.

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 12646
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:42 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:Just wondering whether a change like this is also being considered, given the authorships up to #1268 predate S2 snapshot, and the authorships up to #1119 (as best I can tell, #1137 was just after, but y'all can get the exact dates anyway) predate S1 snapshot.

I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no, given how that change has to go up the tree to Admin intervention, but it should at least be noted that now, Tishanda, Tinhampton, and Canyamel all have no issues badges on their cards - despite now having badges for co-authored issues published prior to card snapshots.

I'd imagine Ballo has more nuanced ways to update cards than the GMs, so I won't speak for whether or not he would do it. If a GM updates a portion of a card, it updates it all. So adding the Issues Author badge would also update any other badges on the nation's card with their current version. For that reason, I'd rather not fiddle with the cards.

User avatar
SherpDaWerp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1072
Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:34 pm

Luna Amore wrote:I'd imagine Ballo has more nuanced ways to update cards than the GMs, so I won't speak for whether or not he would do it. If a GM updates a portion of a card, it updates it all. So adding the Issues Author badge would also update any other badges on the nation's card with their current version. For that reason, I'd rather not fiddle with the cards.

I wasn't thinking of GMs doing it, tbh, I was thinking that you'd ask Admin - probably Ballo or just whoever's free - to update it.
I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no, given how that change has to go up the tree to Admin intervention

Failing that, though, is it not possible for you to update every field at once, but set the fields to what the nation had at snapshot (like, for Canyamel, write out updates to every field like: pretitle=state, economy=1,017T, pop=4.57B, flag=canyamel__109645.png, class=Inoffensive_Centrist_Democracy, badges={WA, Founder, 1%_census_1, 1%_census_47, 1%_census_41}, region=Wanderlust), and also include the new badge? Or can you only press a button that sets the card's state to whatever the nation currently has?
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Got Issues? contributions | An Abridged History of GI (+additions)
Any premise tips, option structure, re-written bits, advice, or ideas for issues that I provide are fair game to be used by anyone.

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 12646
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:07 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:I'd imagine Ballo has more nuanced ways to update cards than the GMs, so I won't speak for whether or not he would do it. If a GM updates a portion of a card, it updates it all. So adding the Issues Author badge would also update any other badges on the nation's card with their current version. For that reason, I'd rather not fiddle with the cards.

I wasn't thinking of GMs doing it, tbh, I was thinking that you'd ask Admin - probably Ballo or just whoever's free - to update it.
I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no, given how that change has to go up the tree to Admin intervention

Failing that, though, is it not possible for you to update every field at once, but set the fields to what the nation had at snapshot (like, for Canyamel, write out updates to every field like: pretitle=state, economy=1,017T, pop=4.57B, flag=canyamel__109645.png, class=Inoffensive_Centrist_Democracy, badges={WA, Founder, 1%_census_1, 1%_census_47, 1%_census_41}, region=Wanderlust), and also include the new badge? Or can you only press a button that sets the card's state to whatever the nation currently has?

Updates to whatever the nation currently has.

User avatar
Electrum
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 3287
Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby Electrum » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:03 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:Appendix A: List of current issues co-authors

Tishanda Issue#628
Zwangzug Issue#700
Australian rePublic Issue#895
Baggieland Issue#1041
Pogaria Issue#1059
Tinhampton Issue#1115
Caracasus Issue#1119
Jutsa Issue#1137
Canyamel Issue 1268
Australian rePublic (again) Issue 1426


You forgot Electrum #1428 8)
Just a regular G.I. Joe - list of issue ideas

NationStates Tennis Tour President - rankings and season seven schedule

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 12646
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:32 pm

Electrum wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Appendix A: List of current issues co-authors

Tishanda Issue#628
Zwangzug Issue#700
Australian rePublic Issue#895
Baggieland Issue#1041
Pogaria Issue#1059
Tinhampton Issue#1115
Caracasus Issue#1119
Jutsa Issue#1137
Canyamel Issue 1268
Australian rePublic (again) Issue 1426


You forgot Electrum #1428 8)

Added.

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2761
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 pm

Electrum wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Appendix A: List of current issues co-authors

Tishanda Issue#628
Zwangzug Issue#700
Australian rePublic Issue#895
Baggieland Issue#1041
Pogaria Issue#1059
Tinhampton Issue#1115
Caracasus Issue#1119
Jutsa Issue#1137
Canyamel Issue 1268
Australian rePublic (again) Issue 1426


You forgot Electrum #1428 8)

oopsie daisies
she/her
Managing Director of Lazarus and The MT Army Warrior
stuff i wrote
Need me? Click here!
Biggest acheivement: Spelling
Ambassador to the WA: Benji Schubert Hepperle
Assistant to the Ambassador: Rekeil Wrigglesworth II
Official Coffee-fetcher and Masseuse: Jonathan Santos de Oliveira
Wonderess wrote:frankly someone I don’t want to see gain influence in NS and by extension TNP


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Phydios

Advertisement

Remove ads