NATION

PASSWORD

Unable to put emoji's in nation's classification?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Makdon
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Unable to put emoji's in nation's classification?

Postby Makdon » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:18 pm

Emoji's can be put in classifications, examples such as Crazy Girl and Queen Yuno make this clear. I, however, have been unable to put emojis in mine. I've tried inputted them from the emoji menu on mac, copy and pasting them in from https://emojipedia.org, and inputting them on mac, all have resulted in what I have currently displayed: 👉👈

Can anyone offer insight on why this is happening, and how I can put emojis in my classification?
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

Wapistan
Envoy

Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Wapistan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:20 pm

What emoji's were you trying to use?

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:56 pm

Wapistan wrote:What emoji's were you trying to use?

I was attempting to make the pleading face emoji followed by the point right and point left emojis my classification
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:59 pm

It's definitely possible, see Queen Yuno, there are different ways to encode emoji, so perhaps try copy-paste or using commands to get the emoji.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:22 pm

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:It's definitely possible, see Queen Yuno, there are different ways to encode emoji, so perhaps try copy-paste or using commands to get the emoji.

I don't think you read my post lol, considering I referenced Queen Yuno in it and mentioned having already tried to copy and paste.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:48 pm

Previously, players have run into troubles with some emojis that aren't supported by NS. See here. The "official" response was that NS isn't consistent with 1 character encoding across the entire site, which means some emoji will be fine and some will not, and those that are fine in one custom field won't necessarily be fine in another.

You mentioned specifically these three emoji, I believe. Pleading face was added in Unicode 11.0, while the two pointers are Unicode 6.0.

As you can see in my happenings feed, the two hands definitely work, so it's just the pleading face causing problems. It seems that you're pretty safe to stick with Unicode 6.0 (for specifically pre-titles) but newer versions don't necessarily work. A list of all Unicode 6 emoji can be found here; for a somewhat similar alternative to pleading face, you could use the flushed face emoji.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Makdon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:51 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:Previously, players have run into troubles with some emojis that aren't supported by NS. See here. The "official" response was that NS isn't consistent with 1 character encoding across the entire site, which means some emoji will be fine and some will not, and those that are fine in one custom field won't necessarily be fine in another.

You mentioned specifically these three emoji, I believe. Pleading face was added in Unicode 11.0, while the two pointers are Unicode 6.0.

As you can see in my happenings feed, the two hands definitely work, so it's just the pleading face causing problems. It seems that you're pretty safe to stick with Unicode 6.0 (for specifically pre-titles) but newer versions don't necessarily work. A list of all Unicode 6 emoji can be found here; for a somewhat similar alternative to pleading face, you could use the flushed face emoji.

Interesting! Thanks so much for the in depth explanation

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical