NATION

PASSWORD

Embedded Image doesn't work due to Accent Letters

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Indo States
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Embedded Image doesn't work due to Accent Letters

Postby Indo States » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:12 pm

Hi.

I have a problem with this image, Since it doesn't embed due to Accent letters like à. I don't know how to fix this.

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c9/Ligne_de_Paris-Montparnasse_à_Brest_-_Le_Perray-en-Yvelines_%2878%29_-_BB_8500_et_VO_2N.jpg/800px-Ligne_de_Paris-Montparnasse_à_Brest_-_Le_Perray-en-Yvelines_%2878%29_-_BB_8500_et_VO_2N.jpg[/img]

Thanks.
Fédération Fatimanienné - Fatiman Federation
Country of Freedom and Education

I DO NOT USE NATIONSTATES STATS

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:17 am

This works if you "url encode" the accented characters. I did it using this website but other encoders will exist. I just copied the accented character à into the encoder, clicked "encode", and was given this value: %C3%A0, which I then replaced in the URL of the of the image.

Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Indo States
Minister

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Indo States » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:47 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:This works if you "url encode" the accented characters. I did it using this website but other encoders will exist. I just copied the accented character à into the encoder, clicked "encode", and was given this value: %C3%A0, which I then replaced in the URL of the of the image.

Thanks, it was useful. I hope this issue was solved. But, However, it is still not working when I tested this image in my dispatch. Do you still Recommend other Decoders (or Tools) that may possibly Work?
Last edited by Indo States on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:13 am

Indo States wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:This works if you "url encode" the accented characters. I did it using this website but other encoders will exist. I just copied the accented character à into the encoder, clicked "encode", and was given this value: %C3%A0, which I then replaced in the URL of the of the image.

Thanks, it was useful. I hope this issue was solved. But, However, it is still not working when I tested this image in my dispatch. Do you still Recommend other Decoders (or Tools) that may possibly Work?

The url-encoding is a constant thing, using a different tool would give you the same result. It just represents a different way to write special characters like à so that they don't make anything read the url wrong.

I just played around with it in a test dispatch, and it seems that dispatches (and by extension, probably most of gameside NS) want the brackets to be urlencoded as well. I made a test dispatch that you can copy the url from (press "raw" in the bottom right to see the code).

It's weird that NS has different "tolerances" for character urlencoding (one side requiring brackets encoded and the other not), but I can't say I'm particularly surprised, given how often admin speaks about its hodge-podge creation.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Indo States
Minister

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Indo States » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:16 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Indo States wrote:

The url-encoding is a constant thing, using a different tool would give you the same result. It just represents a different way to write special characters like à so that they don't make anything read the url wrong.

I just played around with it in a test dispatch, and it seems that dispatches (and by extension, probably most of gameside NS) want the brackets to be urlencoded as well. I made a test dispatch that you can copy the url from (press "raw" in the bottom right to see the code).

It's weird that NS has different "tolerances" for character urlencoding (one side requiring brackets encoded and the other not), but I can't say I'm particularly surprised, given how often admin speaks about its hodge-podge creation.

Thanks!

Return to Technical