NATION

PASSWORD

Request: Double Issue Inbox Size

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Request: Double Issue Inbox Size

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:48 pm

I would like to request that the number of issues a single nation can hols at a time be double from 5 to 10. Back when issues came every 12 hours, this would have represented a timespan of 2.5 days for the inbox to fill, while now with one every 6 hours that time is only 1.25 days. Speaking as someone who can't always login daily, I think doubling the inbox size to account for the doubling in issue receiving speed years back is perfectly reasonable, and moves the stats/issue component of the game back to the historical norm of login needs.
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:52 pm

There's absolutely no way this wouldn't be abused at all. I'd just let the issues pile up on those nations I've deliberately built via the most extreme options of issues I could find and then, click, be ten issues deep into a ridiculous stat boost. That absolutely won't be unbalanced at all.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:55 pm

Just use the 12 hour throttle
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:Just use the 12 hour throttle

At which point I am disadvantaged relative to other issues players who can and do login in daily.
Jar Wattinree wrote:There's absolutely no way this wouldn't be abused at all. I'd just let the issues pile up on those nations I've deliberately built via the most extreme options of issues I could find and then, click, be ten issues deep into a ridiculous stat boost. That absolutely won't be unbalanced at all.

Which is the same thing as doing so with 2 sets of 5 under the current inbox size. Your proposed 'unbalanced' method would be no change to the current ability to do the same, sans one single jump rather than two smaller jumps in stats. I am not proposing any change in issue frequency, only a return to the 2.5 day period for a full inbox.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bormiar » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:03 pm

I really like this, though I don't understand Jar's comment. Wouldn't doing this give you the same stat changes as if you answered the issues right when they came?

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:16 pm

I would overall be in support, but I disagree with this not having negative consequences, I see this change causing an increase in puppets, and possibly messing with the TCALS changes.

I don't see any obvious ways that this might change any current safety systems in place in the game, although I feel that this may give a bigger buff to TCALS pull-events than we think it might. The TCALS nerf was something incredibly important that helped sustain the long-term health and competitiveness of cards collecting and I feel is important to sustain that, and that adding issues may hurt the ability of small farmers to always fit in the 2-minute drop place. In more simple area of cards, this also allows less work for farmers, as they can let puppets "fruit" longer allowing them to have more puppets, and let us be honest, nobody wants more puppet nations in the world.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Galdanulia
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Galdanulia » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:30 pm

I have to disagree with the AN. Let's say I was a card farmer, and the change was just made to increase the issue inbox size to ten. I excitedly make a bunch more puppets, because I can get twice as many issues, and hence twice as many cards, each time I check a nation. Problem: that doesn't change how long it takes to solve an issue, it only raises the number of issues I'll have. Sure, I'll get twice as many issues, but it'll take me twice as long to solve them as well.

Personally, I love this idea.
Last edited by Galdanulia on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Councillor of the LCRUA (May-August 2020; February 2021-present).

In 43,249 alternate universes, this is my main nation.

A.K.A. Eshialand.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:18 am

I have to agree with TUMS, this means farmers will switch half as often during pull events, which could be problematic.

I'd still welcome the change though.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:24 am

Galdanulia wrote:I have to disagree with the AN. Let's say I was a card farmer, and the change was just made to increase the issue inbox size to ten. I excitedly make a bunch more puppets, because I can get twice as many issues, and hence twice as many cards, each time I check a nation. Problem: that doesn't change how long it takes to solve an issue, it only raises the number of issues I'll have. Sure, I'll get twice as many issues, but it'll take me twice as long to solve them as well.

Except that instead of answering a max of 5 issues in 2 minutes, which involves quickly and randomly pressing buttons, now they'll answer 10 issues in 2 minutes.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:23 am

Galdanulia wrote:I have to disagree with the AN. Let's say I was a card farmer, and the change was just made to increase the issue inbox size to ten. I excitedly make a bunch more puppets, because I can get twice as many issues, and hence twice as many cards, each time I check a nation. Problem: that doesn't change how long it takes to solve an issue, it only raises the number of issues I'll have. Sure, I'll get twice as many issues, but it'll take me twice as long to solve them as well.

Thank you for telling us how you got your 28.17 bank of deck value, however, farmers do things differently; oftentimes, switching takes more time than answering, this is true whether you are farming manually, or with containerise and gotissuses answering, switching takes the most time and yields nothing.

However overall, this change wouldn't tilt the field it would raise it evenly (although that will still be problematic), this proposal to increase the issues inbox has my full support.
Last edited by The Unified Missourtama States on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:45 am

Lord Dominator wrote:
Jar Wattinree wrote:There's absolutely no way this wouldn't be abused at all. I'd just let the issues pile up on those nations I've deliberately built via the most extreme options of issues I could find and then, click, be ten issues deep into a ridiculous stat boost. That absolutely won't be unbalanced at all.

Which is the same thing as doing so with 2 sets of 5 under the current inbox size. Your proposed 'unbalanced' method would be no change to the current ability to do the same, sans one single jump rather than two smaller jumps in stats. I am not proposing any change in issue frequency, only a return to the 2.5 day period for a full inbox.

Except you're taking two days, two separate instances of issue answering (assuming you answer all five at once), and condensing it into one day, however long you've waited to get those issues. That is unbalanced, because you're getting twice the result on one day rather than it being spread out over two days. The jumps would be more noticeable.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:44 am

Jar Wattinree wrote:Except you're taking two days, two separate instances of issue answering (assuming you answer all five at once), and condensing it into one day, however long you've waited to get those issues. That is unbalanced, because you're getting twice the result on one day rather than it being spread out over two days. The jumps would be more noticeable.

Yes, but it's still the same changes, so what if the graph looks different? There is no problem here, maybe you misunderstand how issue effects work.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:45 am

Jar Wattinree wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Which is the same thing as doing so with 2 sets of 5 under the current inbox size. Your proposed 'unbalanced' method would be no change to the current ability to do the same, sans one single jump rather than two smaller jumps in stats. I am not proposing any change in issue frequency, only a return to the 2.5 day period for a full inbox.

Except you're taking two days, two separate instances of issue answering (assuming you answer all five at once), and condensing it into one day, however long you've waited to get those issues. That is unbalanced, because you're getting twice the result on one day rather than it being spread out over two days. The jumps would be more noticeable.

I still don't see the problem, since only the perception of how big individual changes are is changing. The actual stat changes remain the same as they would. I personally wouldn't have a problem with someone passing me in stats in such a manner, simply because a brief glance can tell me what they're doing (and obviously, they have the same chances on getting an individual issue as I do).

I have no comment on the card farming impacts, not being one myself.

Galdanulia
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Galdanulia » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:54 pm

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:

Thank you for telling us how you got your 28.17 bank of deck value, however, farmers do things differently; oftentimes, switching takes more time than answering, this is true whether you are farming manually, or with containerise and gotissuses answering, switching takes the most time and yields nothing.

However overall, this change wouldn't tilt the field it would raise it evenly (although that will still be problematic), this proposal to increase the issues inbox has my full support.

For the record, not a card farmer.
Councillor of the LCRUA (May-August 2020; February 2021-present).

In 43,249 alternate universes, this is my main nation.

A.K.A. Eshialand.

Corindia
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:39 pm

how is this different than doing five issues twice? This just reduces dailies. Granted, that itself might be bad, but not sure how stats changes would be accelerated.

Of the People, For the People

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:55 am

I'm for this. For me personally, I haven't always recently be able to manage doing all my issues within the day (or 1.5 days before you begin to miss out on issues) and hit the dreaded 5 issue mark with the last issue received more than 6 hours ago.

Re cards, I personally think the only real solution is going to be accounts which would allow card pack rate limits per user rather than per nation. Allowing 10 rather than 5 issues (or 8 if going from 1 digit to 2 might mess up formatting somewhere) won't significantly change the current card meta so shouldn't be a major factor in this.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Makdon
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:18 pm

This sounds good to me, and I honestly don’t understand what Jar is talking about. How will something all players will have available be unbalanced? I don’t know what problems this will cause with cards, but I suspect they could be fixed with proper calibrations.
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical