NATION

PASSWORD

New Card Rarity

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
DavanteAdams
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

New Card Rarity

Postby DavanteAdams » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:08 am

So I have been on cards for a good bit of time now and I was thinking about how much fun it would be to have a new card rarity. Such as Godly, (might be offensive) Mythic(Sounds good to me), So Godly could be white or if we did mythic that could be red. I just think that if we had another card rarity everybody would have alot more fun. I prefer mythic because it would stand above Legendary and its junk price could be 5 or 10 or so. Does anybody else think so? Or am I just crazy?
Last edited by Sedgistan on Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: removing poll

Diplomat

Founded: Oct 25, 2012
Corporate Police State

Postby 9003 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:25 am

it could be interesting but what defines a card as mythic? Clearly the top of the top so basically the staff who for the most part don't change over season to season. I would rather it be x random legs are mythic this season or top 10 decks that player is mythic (semi shamelessly plugging this idea) as there should be some change over in the top 10 season to season. AS well as they are the biggest traders (and normally biggest names) in the cards community. But I would support an elite rank of cards above and beyond legendary but it would have to be a limited few otherwise we will just want a Ultra mythic or somthing like yugioh style.

A similar cool idea would be is if certain cards can be foil but that would require an ovehaul of the trade system that most likely won't happen (or you just add /foil=true to any pages that deal with foils cards I don't know the data base side but mabye just a data flag or something and foils only happen s3 onward.
proud member of PETZ people for the Ethical Treatment of Zombies

Active member of The cards market place discord

Boston Castle
Envoy

Founded: Aug 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Boston Castle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:56 am

9003 wrote:it could be interesting but what defines a card as mythic? Clearly the top of the top so basically the staff who for the most part don't change over season to season. I would rather it be x random legs are mythic this season or top 10 decks that player is mythic (semi shamelessly plugging this idea) as there should be some change over in the top 10 season to season. AS well as they are the biggest traders (and normally biggest names) in the cards community. But I would support an elite rank of cards above and beyond legendary but it would have to be a limited few otherwise we will just want a Ultra mythic or somthing like yugioh style.

A similar cool idea would be is if certain cards can be foil but that would require an ovehaul of the trade system that most likely won't happen (or you just add /foil=true to any pages that deal with foils cards I don't know the data base side but mabye just a data flag or something and foils only happen s3 onward.

I like this idea a lot. However, I'd limit it only to long-time staff (Ransium, etc.) and a few super influential WAers (think IA).
Then save me, or the passed day will shine…

DavanteAdams
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby DavanteAdams » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:59 am

9003 wrote:it could be interesting but what defines a card as mythic? Clearly the top of the top so basically the staff who for the most part don't change over season to season. I would rather it be x random legs are mythic this season or top 10 decks that player is mythic (semi shamelessly plugging this idea) as there should be some change over in the top 10 season to season. AS well as they are the biggest traders (and normally biggest names) in the cards community. But I would support an elite rank of cards above and beyond legendary but it would have to be a limited few otherwise we will just want a Ultra mythic or somthing like yugioh style.

Yeah actually that would be a good idea for S3, having about the top 10-20 best legendaries become mythics, but with that their junk value would go up. But instead of the best legendary cards you could just base it off the same stuff a legendary is based off of. Badges, Influence, DV, etc.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:01 am

Boston Castle wrote:

I like this idea a lot. However, I'd limit it only to long-time staff (Ransium, etc.) and a few super influential WAers (think IA).

Ironic, Ransium's retiring.
I think it should be really hard to get and only specific categories, IE you have to have 3/4 of your stats being in top 1%, and have authored resolutions, written issues or be staff.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Boston Castle
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Boston Castle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:01 am

DavanteAdams wrote:

Yeah actually that would be a good idea for S3, having about the top 10-20 best legendaries become mythics, but with that their junk value would go up. But instead of the best legendary cards you could just base it off the same stuff a legendary is based off of. Badges, Influence, DV, etc.

What would its JV even be? Something like 5.00?

Cirrus Azale
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 21, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Cirrus Azale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:03 am

The idea is pretty good, and I think a better name for it would be “Pristine”. I like 9003’s idea of making some cards that would be normal legs into Pristine cards. I also think it would be cool if there was a “Farmer” sub-rarity. The card could be of any rarity, but there’d be a special tag marking them as farmer. Who’s a farmer and who isn’t could be decided on by having 1,500 or 2,000 or more DV.
Oxygen, Pizza, Libertarian, Chocolate Milk, AFFORDABLE, not free, healthcare, equality, and on a way off note, Life.
People being mean to anyone based on who they are or what they believe, defenders getting commendations for the sole region they do a ton of defending, those idiots at the drive-thru who take way too long to place their order.
First place winner of the first Tea House of cards
Cards Communitea contest.
MP of Thaecia
Ambassador to Force
Possible Narcissist.
Thinking of writing SC resolutions
Always open to TGs!
Massive amount of contempt for the SC resolution Commend Common Territories.
Why hello there! Thanks for reading my signature!
Adventure Time is the best show ever, don’t @ me.
[he/him]
“It’s all OOC?”
“Always Hazbin. Hotel.”

Boston Castle
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Boston Castle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:04 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Boston Castle wrote:I like this idea a lot. However, I'd limit it only to long-time staff (Ransium, etc.) and a few super influential WAers (think IA).

Ironic, Ransium's retiring.
I think it should be really hard to get and only specific categories, IE you have to have 3/4 of your stats being in top 1%, and have authored resolutions, written issues or be staff.

I think it would need to be more restrictive than written issues/resolutions. I think you'd need to say like...minimum 5(? I have no idea how many issue authors have 5 issues) issues written, minimum 15 combined WA Resolutions passed, or staff (moderator of any kind) for longer than a year. I think that definitely decreases the pool to a few dozen at best.

Apostate
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Apostate » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:05 am

Making it a popularity contest seems terrible. Since most NS staff are already Legendary cards, they should NOT be allowed to be a higher new category. However, scarcity or value of existent S2 cards cant be used as criteria either, since market manipulation would happen by the big boys (and girls) in the card game. Maybe it could be something only Epic cards get bumped up to? That way, you get your long time/active players more involved but also avoid the bootlicking portion of chasing site staff cards. Just a thought!
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”

What a man really says when he says that someone else can be persuaded by force, is that he himself is incapable of more rational means of communication.

DavanteAdams
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby DavanteAdams » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:09 am

Boston Castle wrote:
Mathuvan Union wrote:Ironic, Ransium's retiring.

I think it would need to be more restrictive than written issues/resolutions. I think you'd need to say like...minimum 5(? I have no idea how many issue authors have 5 issues) issues written, minimum 15 combined WA Resolutions passed, or staff (moderator of any kind) for longer than a year. I think that definitely decreases the pool to a few dozen at best.

I would say JV of 10.00. Since you know the JV's difference gets bigger each time, eg. .01, 0.1, .25, .5, 1 and so on. This would be very limited and very hard to get. I would prefer Mythic over Pristine since mythic is more the next step up. Also what color would Pristine be? But with Mythic red just kind of fits it.
And I think that site staff and mods should have a seperate rarity then regular players to show them apart. Then we can have our regular rarities and they can have 1 rarity. Whatever that might be.
Last edited by DavanteAdams on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boston Castle
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Boston Castle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:09 am

Apostate wrote:Making it a popularity contest seems terrible. Since most NS staff are already Legendary cards, they should NOT be allowed to be a higher new category. However, scarcity or value of existent S2 cards cant be used as criteria either, since market manipulation would happen by the big boys (and girls) in the card game. Maybe it could be something only Epic cards get bumped up to? That way, you get your long time/active players more involved but also avoid the bootlicking portion of chasing site staff cards. Just a thought!

I mean...maybe? But otherwise, you're only going to frustrate people if there's no set criterion. I guess one possible solution might be to make it like a just for the first season of a new card thing. (i.e. a card is ineligible for 'Mythic' or what have you if it's already been in another season).

On the other hand, that might make only a very few cards that weren't in S1 or S2 eligible. Only one that really springs to mind off the top of my head is 10x WA author Cretox State.

Cirrus Azale
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Cirrus Azale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 am

DavanteAdams wrote:
Boston Castle wrote:I think it would need to be more restrictive than written issues/resolutions. I think you'd need to say like...minimum 5(? I have no idea how many issue authors have 5 issues) issues written, minimum 15 combined WA Resolutions passed, or staff (moderator of any kind) for longer than a year. I think that definitely decreases the pool to a few dozen at best.

I would say JV of 10.00. Since you know the JV's difference gets bigger each time, eg. .01, 0.1, .25, .5, 1 and so on. This would be very limited and very hard to get. I would prefer Mythic over Pristine since mythic is more the next step up. Also what color would Pristine be? But with Mythic red just kind of fits it.
And I think that site staff and mods should have a seperate rarity then regular players to show them apart. Then we can have our regular rarities and they can have 1 rarity. Whatever that might be.

I believe Pristine would be White.
Oxygen, Pizza, Libertarian, Chocolate Milk, AFFORDABLE, not free, healthcare, equality, and on a way off note, Life.
People being mean to anyone based on who they are or what they believe, defenders getting commendations for the sole region they do a ton of defending, those idiots at the drive-thru who take way too long to place their order.
MP of Thaecia
Ambassador to Force
Possible Narcissist.
Always open to TGs!
[he/him]
“It’s all OOC?”
“Always Hazbin. Hotel.”

Apostate
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Apostate » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:15 am

Boston Castle wrote:
Apostate wrote:Making it a popularity contest seems terrible. Since most NS staff are already Legendary cards, they should NOT be allowed to be a higher new category. However, scarcity or value of existent S2 cards cant be used as criteria either, since market manipulation would happen by the big boys (and girls) in the card game. Maybe it could be something only Epic cards get bumped up to? That way, you get your long time/active players more involved but also avoid the bootlicking portion of chasing site staff cards. Just a thought!

I mean...maybe? But otherwise, you're only going to frustrate people if there's no set criterion. I guess one possible solution might be to make it like a just for the first season of a new card thing. (i.e. a card is ineligible for 'Mythic' or what have you if it's already been in another season).

On the other hand, that might make only a very few cards that weren't in S1 or S2 eligible. Only one that really springs to mind off the top of my head is 10x WA author Cretox State.

I guess that is a potential solution. My idea was to try and find a way/method to acknowledge players that are not already legendary (and therefore, cool) in the card trading world but to incorporate some of the involved but more fringe Epics/ultra rares, especially roleplayers and such which typically are sort of left out of the conversation when it comes to acknowledgement. Some of the more prolific forum posters (not spammers and still excluding staff) could be another way to measure them up? I just know that after playing this game for almost 17 years now any new add typically becomes the domain of a few at the expense of the many and to avoid that would show some real growth in the game and keep more players interested than just the gerrymanders and site staff and super involved already.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”

What a man really says when he says that someone else can be persuaded by force, is that he himself is incapable of more rational means of communication.

Boston Castle
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Boston Castle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:17 am

Apostate wrote:
Boston Castle wrote:I mean...maybe? But otherwise, you're only going to frustrate people if there's no set criterion. I guess one possible solution might be to make it like a just for the first season of a new card thing. (i.e. a card is ineligible for 'Mythic' or what have you if it's already been in another season).

I guess that is a potential solution. My idea was to try and find a way/method to acknowledge players that are not already legendary (and therefore, cool) in the card trading world but to incorporate some of the involved but more fringe Epics/ultra rares, especially roleplayers and such which typically are sort of left out of the conversation when it comes to acknowledgement. Some of the more prolific forum posters (not spammers and still excluding staff) could be another way to measure them up? I just know that after playing this game for almost 17 years now any new add typically becomes the domain of a few at the expense of the many and to avoid that would show some real growth in the game and keep more players interested than just the gerrymanders and site staff and super involved already.

The main issue, and staff could correct me if I'm wrong here, is that unless RP isn't part of the game mechanics other than stats-i.e. not in the way that the WA is. Therefore, it'd be hard to reconcile the two.

As for forum posting-I don't think that would work either because I'm pretty sure that isn't factored into card category as well.

Apostate
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Apostate » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:26 am

Boston Castle wrote:
Apostate wrote:

The main issue, and staff could correct me if I'm wrong here, is that unless RP isn't part of the game mechanics other than stats-i.e. not in the way that the WA is. Therefore, it'd be hard to reconcile the two.

As for forum posting-I don't think that would work either because I'm pretty sure that isn't factored into card category as well.

It would be a challenge, but I am sure the staff could run a count on most forum posts, as a criterion, not an end-all, and again we are just noodling here. I think the white or red color either would work, and look pretty cool. And I am also not trying to slam players for being successful or for volunteering on a site as mods or mentors or whatever. But since staff currently gets cool cookies imho they dont really need any more, and I was thinking on trying to highlight players that are active but not meeting current criteria to be a "legend" so that the two status are more or less equal or very close to it. The emphasis on hierarchy is a bit overdone, imho, as opposed to looking awesome, and having a value rating based on actual NS game behavior, not discord card club membership and pull party nonsense. TO NOT reward those looking for exploits but rather TO reward the everyday , epic/ultra rare tier of S2 for a potential S3 "Monstrosity" tier card (just another idea, name this time :P)

Cirrus Azale
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Cirrus Azale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:30 am

*Pull EVENT
MP of Thaecia
Ambassador to Force
Possible Narcissist.
Always open to TGs!
[he/him]
“It’s all OOC?”
“Always Hazbin. Hotel.”

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:22 am

I personally do not support this idea. It feels like the beginning of a long power-creep-esque process that ends with us having ten rarities and the once-precious "Mythic" cards popping up in every other pack. But even if it didn't go there, I think we just don't need a seventh rarity. It's hard enough for the average cards beginner (maybe not farmer, but plenty of players don't start that route) to get a Legendary — how long would it take to get a "Mythic" card? How high do we want to put the ceiling here, and how much less interesting will it be for relaxed players to progress in the game with the knowledge that they'll need months of work just to get some card with a new colour? I think Legendary is fine, especially considering the extreme range of values in that rarity already — Legendaries have oft-stable values ranging from 10.00 to 600.00, so creating something with even more value just creates overlap. The addition of a new rarity would do nothing but temporarily satisfy a hunger for something more — once implemented, it'd lose its thrill in six months and we'd be right where we started.

My point is, the cards game is doing well right now with six rarities, and it should stay that way.

That being said, the idea of a randomly-selected set of cards being holographic in some way (e.g. a light rainbow-shimmer GIF placed over the picture) would have my support, since it's the kind of solution that wouldn't cause excessive hype and would be more substantial than stacking a red layer on top of a perfectly sufficient cake. If holographics were implemented, I'd just want the players behind holographic-card nations to have the option to permanently drop that feature from their card during the inscription period (if they want their nation to have a regular-looking card).
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:29 am

Just no.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

DavanteAdams
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby DavanteAdams » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:29 am

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:I personally do not support this idea. It feels like the beginning of a long power-creep-esque process that ends with us having ten rarities and the once-precious "Mythic" cards popping up in every other pack. But even if it didn't go there, I think we just don't need a seventh rarity. It's hard enough for the average cards beginner (maybe not farmer, but plenty of players don't start that route) to get a Legendary — how long would it take to get a "Mythic" card? How high do we want to put the ceiling here, and how much less interesting will it be for relaxed players to progress in the game with the knowledge that they'll need months of work just to get some card with a new colour? I think Legendary is fine, especially considering the extreme range of values in that rarity already — Legendaries have oft-stable values ranging from 10.00 to 600.00, so creating something with even more value just creates overlap. The addition of a new rarity would do nothing but temporarily satisfy a hunger for something more — once implemented, it'd lose its thrill in six months and we'd be right where we started.

My point is, the cards game is doing well right now with six rarities, and it should stay that way.

That being said, the idea of a randomly-selected set of cards being holographic in some way (e.g. a light rainbow-shimmer GIF placed over the picture) would have my support, since it's the kind of solution that wouldn't cause excessive hype and would be more substantial than stacking a red layer on top of a perfectly sufficient cake. If holographics were implemented, I'd just want the players behind holographic-card nations to have the option to permanently drop that feature from their card during the inscription period (if they want their nation to have a regular-looking card).

Agree to disagree.

Riemstagrad
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Riemstagrad » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:59 am

now that we're shooting ideas:
Historical cards: for example: ceased to exist resolution authors, only pullable on the anniversary day of those resolutions (and not pullable by TCALS)

Boston Castle
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Boston Castle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:12 pm

Riemstagrad wrote:now that we're shooting ideas:
Historical cards: for example: ceased to exist resolution authors, only pullable on the anniversary day of those resolutions (and not pullable by TCALS)

Especially for historically significant authors who've CTEd (Auralia comes to mind), that'd be a great idea.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:56 pm

Related to the card rarity idea.

An auction, [v] sells off one mythic rarity to be given to a nation in s3. The highest bidder wins, and their card will be mythic in the next season.

:unsure:

If the nation had custom flags, do we still have those on file?
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign

DavanteAdams
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby DavanteAdams » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:08 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:Related to the card rarity idea.

An auction, [v] sells off one mythic rarity to be given to a nation in s3. The highest bidder wins, and their card will be mythic in the next season.

:unsure:

If the nation had custom flags, do we still have those on file?

That could perhaps work.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:20 pm

I really like the idea of ten random legendaries making up the mythic category only. Or maybe a random legendary can be a limited edition mythic rarity version for a week, and there’d be a scramble to obtain one (though this’d be unfair on newer players, so perhaps not).
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Obuba
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Obuba » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:03 pm

Why does OP want to bog the card market? This will significantly reduce the value of Legendary cards. The whole point of these cards is that they're the top.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical