NATION

PASSWORD

I'm building a NationStates app for iOS

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Elest Adra
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 20, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

I'm building a NationStates app for iOS

Postby Elest Adra » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:42 am

Howdy folks,

I'm building an iOS client app for NationStates. For the first release, I'd like to simply provide functionality to read and answer issues, and to add new features with time (if someone would like those).

Do we have a lot of players on iOS? If so, I could definitely invite some players for beta testing (iOS 13 or later). Please let me know if you are interested.

Update from December 28th:
Thanks for the interest folks! The first version took a bit longer than anticipated - partially because I was exploring new technologies, partially because it's December. I've decided that going through a beta test phase would take a bit too long, so I went straight to release. I'm still very curious for your feedback.

Anyway, the app is called "Issues for NationStates" and can be found in the App Store, here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/issues-fo ... 1543636795.
As the name suggests, current functionality is based around reading / answering issues. I'm planning to expand beyond that, but I wanted to get started easily.
Source code is available here: https://github.com/bart-kneepkens/Issues

If you have any feedback, please let me know. If you have features you'd like to see next, please let me know too!
Last edited by Elest Adra on Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:04 am

Sounds cool. I'd be willing to beta test the app, if it gets that far.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Elest Adra wrote:Howdy folks,

I'm building an iOS client app for NationStates. For the first release, I'd like to simply provide functionality to read and answer issues, and to add new features with time (if someone would like those).

Do we have a lot of players on iOS? If so, I could definitely invite some players for beta testing (iOS 13 or later). Please let me know if you are interested.

As far as features etc. go, you can't really look past Stately - I use Android and it works great. If you're making an iOS-equivalent, duplicating it's functionality would be a good place to start.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Ooh, sounds interesting!

Free Las Pinas
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Free Las Pinas » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:07 pm

I use iOS, and while I and probably many others will be interested, it would probably be too much of a hassle. Iirc, Google Play has a one-time fee of $25, while Apple has a fee of $99/year. Not to mention, apps would have less functionality than the website itself, since they would rely on requests by the NS API.

But good luck if you do plan on pursuing this!

Elest Adra
Lobbyist

Postby Elest Adra » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:30 am

Free Las Pinas wrote:I use iOS, and while I and probably many others will be interested, it would probably be too much of a hassle. Iirc, Google Play has a one-time fee of $25, while Apple has a fee of $99/year. Not to mention, apps would have less functionality than the website itself, since they would rely on requests by the NS API.

But good luck if you do plan on pursuing this!

From what I've read on this forum, most developers seem to be discouraged by the Apple Developer Program fee. It's OK, I already have such an account, so I'll distribute the app through there.
To be completely aligned with the website feature-wise is a gigantic task.. But I'll start simple and improve from there; personally I care about providing a user experience that is more suited to iOS.

Elest Adra
Lobbyist

Postby Elest Adra » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:32 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:

As far as features etc. go, you can't really look past Stately - I use Android and it works great. If you're making an iOS-equivalent, duplicating it's functionality would be a good place to start.

Thank you, I've been definitely eyeing that one; perhaps I can steal imitate some layouts from them, since folks seem to enjoy that app a lot.

Viciebskaja
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 27, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Viciebskaja » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:37 am

As someone who plays NationStates on iOS probably over 80% of the time I'm super excited for this! If you need beta testing for the app I'd be willing to contribute to that.
Call me Vic when OOC, it rolls off the tongue better.
I always use NS stats!

Brown Spot
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 30, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brown Spot » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:57 pm

I just want to say, I'd be interested in a good IOS app! :)

Elest Adra
Lobbyist

Postby Elest Adra » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Comfed wrote:Ooh, sounds interesting!

Phydios wrote:Sounds cool. I'd be willing to beta test the app, if it gets that far.

Viciebskaja wrote:As someone who plays NationStates on iOS probably over 80% of the time I'm super excited for this! If you need beta testing for the app I'd be willing to contribute to that.

Brown Spot wrote:I just want to say, I'd be interested in a good IOS app! :)

Thanks for the interest folks! The first version took a bit longer than anticipated - partially because I was exploring new technologies, partially because it's December. I've decided that going through a beta test phase would take a bit too long, so I went straight to release. I'm still very curious for your feedback.

Anyway, the app is called "Issues for NationStates" and can be found in the App Store, here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/issues-for-nationstates/id1543636795.
As the name suggests, current functionality is based around reading / answering issues. I'm planning to expand beyond that, but I wanted to get started easily.
Source code is available here: https://github.com/bart-kneepkens/Issues

If you have any feedback, please let me know. If you have features you'd like to see next, please let me know too!
Last edited by Elest Adra on Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Middle Barael
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Middle Barael » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:16 pm

I usually play NS on an iPad, and so I’d be willing to beta-test your app (so long as it’s free)
Pro: Environmentalism, fighting climate change, social democracy, co-ops, police reform, LGBTQ rights, abortions, separation of church and state, democracy, assault weapon ban, proportional representation, multi-party states, Two-State Solution, Israel AND Palestine, pacifism, immigration, Anti-Racism, NHS-type Healthcare, culture, science, multiculturalism, UN, EU

Anti: Environmental destruction, fossil fuels, Trump, Laissez-faire economy, communism, far-right, homophobia, “Pro-Life”, dictatorships, one/two-party systems, guns, Netanyahu, Israeli settlements, Hamas, Jihadism, war, racism, anti-immigration, nationalism, fascism, chauvinism,

8Values
Social: Very Progressive
Economic: Social
Civil: Liberal
Foreign: Internationalist

The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:17 pm

I’ll download as soon as I update my phone

Founder of Victorian Era RP 2,
Loves God, guns and Trump
Stand with France

Silvedania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Silvedania » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:22 pm

The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico wrote:I’ll download as soon as I update my phone

same
Silvedania, the majestic nation.
NS Stats are mostly accurate except for a few things, like this nation is capitalist and the death penalty isn't in effect

News:All trade with Crabaiaia and Pikala has stopped as diplomats meet in Trenaka.  Silvedanians are confused by Quentin Tarantulatino's new film, Seasonal Snackbox(This is a Bojack Horseman reference.) Weird song goes viral for making no sense.

Co-founder of LITA | Member of ICDN | Former Member of SETA | Member of IFTC | He/Him/His | Airport: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=493569#p37851012
Being president looks like the worst job in the world. -John Mulaney

Free Las Pinas
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Free Las Pinas » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks for this, I’ve downloaded it, and it looks pretty great. Something I like a lot would be the “past issues” portion, but I haven’t tested url For the record, I use dark mode.

https://i.imgur.com/QGCR9ei.png
https://i.imgur.com/XJZQNg3.png

My only question is if the thing that changed in my motto will have to remain that way, or maybe it’s a problem on my end? It doesn’t bother me, but it’s still nice to see it. This is what’s supposed to appear instead of the random characters: °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Last edited by Free Las Pinas on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Looks great - I downloaded it. Though (obviously) you'll need to add more than just issues.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Elest Adra
Lobbyist

Postby Elest Adra » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:37 am

Free Las Pinas wrote:Thanks for this, I’ve downloaded it, and it looks pretty great. Something I like a lot would be the “past issues” portion, but I haven’t tested url For the record, I use dark mode.

https://i.imgur.com/QGCR9ei.png
https://i.imgur.com/XJZQNg3.png

My only question is if the thing that changed in my motto will have to remain that way, or maybe it’s a problem on my end? It doesn’t bother me, but it’s still nice to see it. This is what’s supposed to appear instead of the random characters: °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

Awesome, thanks for checking it out! I'll try to make sure your motto displays properly in the next update.
Last edited by Elest Adra on Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elest Adra
Lobbyist

Postby Elest Adra » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:38 am

Honeydewistania wrote:Looks great - I downloaded it. Though (obviously) you'll need to add more than just issues.

Cool! What do you think would be the logical next feature?

Homyland
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 25, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Homyland » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:41 am

I play in iOS 10.3.3.
If the beta is available for that version, I will happily test.
If the final app is available, I think I will download it.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:42 am

Elest Adra wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Looks great - I downloaded it. Though (obviously) you'll need to add more than just issues.

Stately is able to access the WA and vote on stuff - that'd be a good step. (Of course adding RMB features to the app would be even better, but I'd imagine that'd take much longer)
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Comfed
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:52 am

How about a “coup region” button?

Bormiar
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bormiar » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Elest Adra wrote:

Maybe try the following:

• WA voting
  • telegrams

I'm sure a lot of players would really like an RMB feature, but that could be a pain.

Long term, speaking as someone who regularly used NationStates on IOS, the biggest problem you could potentially solve is the forums. There's no mobile forum site, and the desktop version is a massive pain in the ass to use on mobile. Again I'd call that a very long-term goal (after the useful gameside features which are probably much easier to code).

I tried out the app today, and it looks incredibly promising. I noticed that the section for your nation page doesn't have a lot of important parts like badges (something issue answerers love to keep track of) and the description, which, while less important than badges, could be useful to some. The badges might be a priority.

Also, I have to say I would use this solely for the past issues feature. Thank you!

Microsa
Civilian

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Microsa » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:06 pm

I'm interested!

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:13 pm

I use iOS and might be willing to help test. Not sure if I would use it long term or not (I might still want to get card packs :P ), but I am curious.

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:17 pm

Comfed wrote:How about a “coup region” button?

"Wait, it's all raiders?"

"Always has been"

coups region instantly
I'm a master at arguing right after I hit "submit"

Veni, Vidi, Vici. I came, I saw, I conquered.

Comfed
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:21 am

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:
Comfed wrote:How about a “coup region” button?

"Wait, it's all raiders?"

"Always has been"

coups region instantly

Hey, defenders coup regions too!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical