NATION

PASSWORD

Getting Help suggestion: Attach Telegram Inbox

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
User avatar
Kandarin
Diplomat
 
Posts: 869
Founded: Antiquity
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Getting Help suggestion: Attach Telegram Inbox

Postby Kandarin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Currently, when using the Getting Help feature, it's possible to attach the current information from a region's Regional Happenings or RMB. This allows evidence to be preserved that otherwise might be swept off the page, It also allows regions to thusly clear out offensive material without interfering with mod investigation.

Abusive telegrams are currently handled differently. The OSRS advises players that report abusive telegrams to keep them, presumably until a mod gets the report, looks at their telegram inbox, and deals with the situation. This can be problematic, as it's unclear how long they need to be kept; if my experiences are anything to go by, mods usually don't inform the player who sent in the report that something was done about it, so players don't know how long they need to keep the telegrams. This can eat up limited inbox space fast, particularly for those of us who exchange a lot of telegrams and especially when the problem is "Help, someone spammed my inbox with ten identical telegrams!"

Would it be possible and practical to expand the Getting Help attachment features to allow players to attach their current telegram inbox to the report? It would preserve the information for mod eyes while allowing them to clear out the abusive telegrams to make room for other things.
Last edited by Kandarin on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I remember who wrote:Games like Nationstates are like a big cardboard box, and there are two kinds of people in the world. The kind who look at the empty void inside the box and ask "Where the hell is it?" and the kind who jump into the box with their friends and make it into a fort, or a spaceship.

User avatar
Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat
 
Posts: 828
Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: Getting Help suggestion: Attach Telegram Inbox

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:27 pm

Kandarin wrote:Would it be possible and practical to expand the Getting Help attachment features to allow players to attach their current telegram inbox to the report? It would preserve the information for mod eyes while allowing them to clear out the abusive telegrams to make room for other things.


That sounds like a good idea. I've run into that question before myself

User avatar
TannerFrankLand
Envoy
 
Posts: 316
Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Getting Help suggestion: Attach Telegram Inbox

Postby TannerFrankLand » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:47 pm

I reported a cussy spam message the other day, all I did was say it was a telegram and like an hour later it was gone. I think the point of attaching the regional message board and regional happenings is that by the time the mod looks, the message may be gone. For almost everyone a telegram will stay in the inbox for a day or so... So there is no need to attach it since it will still be there when the mod looks.

However, I would guess Kandarin's inbox is a bit more active than mine. :D
Last edited by TannerFrankLand on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WA Security Council:
SC #3 ~ Condemn Nazi Europe [SORRY!]
SC #12 ~ Commend Todd McCloud
SC #18 ~ Commend Sedgistan
SC #27 ~ Condemn Unknown
SC #36 ~ Liberate Eastern Europe
SC #51 ~ Commend Fudgetopia
SC #67 ~ Commend Naivetry
SC #71 ~ Repeal Condemn Unknown.
WA General Assembly:
GA #81 ~ Disaster Preparedness Act
GA #105 ~ Preparing For Disasters
GA #164 ~ Consular Rights
GA #278 ~ Repeal "Right to Privacy"
Security Council Fanatic
Delegate of St Abbaddon,
Member of the Council of State of Balder,
Former delegate of The South Pacific,
Topid

User avatar
Kandarin
Diplomat
 
Posts: 869
Founded: Antiquity
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Re: Getting Help suggestion: Attach Telegram Inbox

Postby Kandarin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:01 pm

TannerFrankLand wrote:I reported a cussy spam message the other day, all I did was say it was a telegram and like an hour later it was gone. I think the point of attaching the regional message board and regional happenings is that by the time the mod looks, the message may be gone. For almost everyone a telegram will stay in the inbox for a day or so... So there is no need to attach it since it will still be there when the mod looks.

However, I would guess Kandarin's inbox is a bit more active than mine. :D


I've never had an abusive telegram deleted by a mod. I've seen the nation who sent it deleted, sure, but that doesn't always happen. Sometimes they just get a warning. Sometimes we're wrong to report them and there wasn't anything truly illegal, just edgy. In any of those cases the telegram remains.
I wish I remember who wrote:Games like Nationstates are like a big cardboard box, and there are two kinds of people in the world. The kind who look at the empty void inside the box and ask "Where the hell is it?" and the kind who jump into the box with their friends and make it into a fort, or a spaceship.


Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads