NATION

PASSWORD

N-Day to coincide with Yom Kippur

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

East Blepia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:11 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
East Blepia wrote:
It makes a great deal of difference. It's like scheduling some very important assembly (e.g. a town meeting) for Christmas Day. It's totally disrespectful to Jews.

And now I just think you are really overstating the importance of N-Day.

It's still a bad thing. They could have had some consideration, they could have scheduled it for last weekend or next weekend, they could have had some respect.
20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, 10 years in Syria, constant brinksmanship with Iran, $230 billion[1] and counting in military and economic aid to a first-world country, and the agitation of Islamic extremism[2] causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths is not enough. America MUST do more for Israel. If you ask what we get in exchange, you are an anti-semite.

1. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf "As of March 2020, in 2018 U.S. dollars (inflation-adjusted), total U.S.
aid to Israel... is $236 billion."

2. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver "Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple...You attacked us in Palestine...the degree of American support for Israel"

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Brettenwald wrote:Participating in N-Day is completely voluntary, so you could just not join a faction (and therefore stay out of it) until you're done with your religious obligations.

Pretty much this.

As for non-Jewish NS players, I don't really see any issues.

To the Jewish players, Happy Yom Kippur(?).
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Side 3 wrote:
East Blepia wrote:It makes a great deal of difference. It's like scheduling some very important assembly (e.g. a town meeting) for Christmas Day. It's totally disrespectful to Jews.

Oh come on, now you're stretching it. If N-Day being on Yom Kippur is that disrespectful to you, don't play it. This isn't a mandatory function you have to attend to, you can completely skip it if you want.

It's still a once-in-a-year observance and they could have had consideration for Jews.
20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, 10 years in Syria, constant brinksmanship with Iran, $230 billion[1] and counting in military and economic aid to a first-world country, and the agitation of Islamic extremism[2] causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths is not enough. America MUST do more for Israel. If you ask what we get in exchange, you are an anti-semite.

1. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf "As of March 2020, in 2018 U.S. dollars (inflation-adjusted), total U.S.

2. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver "Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple...You attacked us in Palestine...the degree of American support for Israel"

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Guy wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Sorry but there are religious holidays/festivals etc throughout the year. It is just not reasonable to expect NS to try to avoid all of them. There will inevitably be clashes with events here and there, so folk just need to deal with it.

Hey mate. I get that your real-life experience is probably rather limited. [...] There is literally no harm to you here, so the only thing that can be concluded is that you want the event to clash with Yom Kippur.

Lolwut. Wow, what a really weird response.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Tranzoria
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tranzoria » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:14 pm

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
Brettenwald wrote:Participating in N-Day is completely voluntary, so you could just not join a faction (and therefore stay out of it) until you're done with your religious obligations.

Pretty much this.

As for non-Jewish NS players, I don't really see any issues.

To the Jewish players, Happy Yom Kippur(?).

תודה!
Thanks!
A Naive Nation in the Bay Area of California who has fought too many wars to count. NSG's Resident Yes-man.
Raider, Writer and Rickroll Fanatic.
Recent News: Tranzoria joins Israel-Palestine discussion-promises no flaming

Pro: Choice, Democracy, Acknowledgment, PR Statehood
Anti:Terrorism, Racism, Karenism, People who pour the Milk first

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:14 pm

How am I so ignorant that when I clicked this I thought it was about the October War?
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:14 pm

East Blepia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:And now I just think you are really overstating the importance of N-Day.

It's still a bad thing. They could have had some consideration, they could have scheduled it for last weekend or next weekend, they could have had some respect.

Actually, N-Day normally happens around this time. It's been that way for the past 5 years. Rescheduling would then theoretically be breaking tradition as well (not saying that it is more important than Yom Kippur, however).
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:15 pm

Side 3 wrote:
East Blepia wrote:It makes a great deal of difference. It's like scheduling some very important assembly (e.g. a town meeting) for Christmas Day. It's totally disrespectful to Jews.

Oh come on, now you're stretching it. If N-Day being on Yom Kippur is that disrespectful to you, don't play it. This isn't a mandatory function you have to attend to, you can completely skip it if you want.

Of course Jewish players can simply skip it, and most will this year!

What's been asked for is that in future years, due to the potential for a clash there, the admin team has regard to the timing of Yom Kippur and try to avoid a clash with N-Day.

Is there any downside to trying to avoid a clash that will mean a lot of players can't be online for N-Day? No, of course not. So it's probably time to stop arguing over this.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:15 pm

East Blepia wrote:

If you want to really observe the holiday and not just use it as an excuse for a family gathering it is going to be an all-day thing.

The point I'm trying to make is that the two events are not mutually exclusive. N-Day starts the morning of the 27th, and according to Google Yom Kippur starts in the evening of the 27th, so you've got a decent chunk of time in which to nuke people.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:15 pm

East Blepia wrote:

Actually, N-Day normally happens around this time. It's been that way for the past 5 years. Rescheduling would then theoretically be breaking tradition as well (not saying that it is more important than Yom Kippur, however).

They moved it forward a good deal this year (I think around twelve hours).

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:16 pm

Brettenwald wrote:
East Blepia wrote:
If you want to really observe the holiday and not just use it as an excuse for a family gathering it is going to be an all-day thing.

The point I'm trying to make is that the two events are not mutually exclusive. N-Day starts the morning of the 27th, and according to Google Yom Kippur starts in the evening of the 27th, so you've got a decent chunk of time in which to nuke people.

N-Day begins at the same time worldwide whereas Yom Kippur depends on local sunrise and sunset times. In some timezones Yom Kippur barely coincides with N-Day or does not coincide at all and in some timezones they coincide completely.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:17 pm

East Blepia wrote:

They moved it forward a good deal this year (I think around twelve hours).

Fair point.

Brettenwald wrote:
East Blepia wrote:

I guess this is the best route for Jewish players past Israel.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:To the Jewish players, Happy Yom Kippur(?).
It's not supposed to be happy. It's an observance about atoning for your sins by self-denial (mainly fasting, but playing video games is also probably in the "not OK" column).
Last edited by Trotterdam on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:19 pm

Side 3 wrote:
Every Christmas dinner I've been to has the older folks watching a football game and the younger ones on their phones while we wait to eat. Of course I'm sure that's quite different from Yom Kippur celebrations, but people certainly can find time to play NS during holidays.

Christmas is a celebratory day, so it's not a bad thing to spend most of it doing fun things like watching games (or playing them on the computer).

Yom Kippur is about atonement. It would go against the entire spirit of that idea to play games all day instead of being at least somewhat solemn about it.

That said, these special NS events usually last quite a bit longer than 24 hours to account for all of the time zones, etc., so I'd think there'd be plenty of extra time left to get oneself bombed into oblivion.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:20 pm

Victorious Decepticons wrote:
Side 3 wrote:
Every Christmas dinner I've been to has the older folks watching a football game and the younger ones on their phones while we wait to eat. Of course I'm sure that's quite different from Yom Kippur celebrations, but people certainly can find time to play NS during holidays.

Christmas is a celebratory day, so it's not a bad thing to spend most of it doing fun things like watching games (or playing them on the computer).

Yom Kippur is about atonement. It would go against the entire spirit of that idea to play games instead of being at least somewhat solemn about it.

That said, these special NS events usually last quite a bit longer than 24 hours to account for all of the time zones, etc., so I'd think there'd be plenty of extra time left to get oneself bombed into oblivion.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:21 pm

Accidentally quoted myself when trying to edit, and now I can't delete or edit any of it...
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:21 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:To the Jewish players, Happy Yom Kippur(?).
It's not supposed to be happy. It's an observance about atoning for your sins by self-denial (mainly fasting, but playing video games is also probably in the "not OK" column).

Hence my question mark, I was doubtful of whether or not I should have used Happy. Sorry for my ignorance towards the event.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

Brettenwald
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:23 pm

East Blepia wrote:
Brettenwald wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that the two events are not mutually exclusive. N-Day starts the morning of the 27th, and according to Google Yom Kippur starts in the evening of the 27th, so you've got a decent chunk of time in which to nuke people.

N-Day begins at the same time worldwide whereas Yom Kippur depends on local sunrise and sunset times. In some timezones Yom Kippur barely coincides with N-Day or does not coincide at all and in some timezones they coincide completely.

So if the inability to participate in N-Day is only going to affect a very small portion of the NS user base in actuality compared to your seeming insistence that it affects every Jewish NS player, what's the point of getting so fired up about it?
Last edited by Brettenwald on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:24 pm

Guy wrote:What's been asked for is that in future years, due to the potential for a clash there, the admin team has regard to the timing of Yom Kippur and try to avoid a clash with N-Day.

It likely won't clash again for at least the next 10 years...

2021 Sept. 16
2022 Oct. 5
2023 Sept. 25
2024 Oct. 12
2025 Oct. 2
2026 Sept. 21
2027 Oct. 11
2028 Sept. 30
2029 Sept. 19
2030 Oct. 7
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:25 pm

East Blepia wrote:In my timezone, the final four or five hours depending on sunset are going to coincide with Yom Kippur, the holiest day in Judaism.

This is going to inconvenience a lot of people. In more easterly timezones the majority or even entirety of N-Day could coincide with Yom Kippur, making it not permissible for Jews to participate in N-Day.

Was this considered and the scheduling gone ahead with anyway or did no one consider it at all?

sry bro, dont think it was intentional.
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Brettenwald
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:25 pm

Guy wrote:What's been asked for is that in future years, due to the potential for a clash there, the admin team has regard to the timing of Yom Kippur and try to avoid a clash with N-Day.

2021 Sept. 16
2022 Oct. 5
2023 Sept. 25
2024 Oct. 12
2025 Oct. 2
2026 Sept. 21
2027 Oct. 11
2028 Sept. 30
2029 Sept. 19
2030 Oct. 7

This.
BRETTENWALD

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:26 pm

2021 Sept. 16
2022 Oct. 5
2023 Sept. 25
2024 Oct. 12
2025 Oct. 2
2026 Sept. 21
2027 Oct. 11
2028 Sept. 30
2029 Sept. 19
2030 Oct. 7

Well eventually this issue is going to roll around again and somebody is going to throw a fit. It is best to resolve it now.

Brettenwald
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:27 pm

East Blepia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It likely won't clash again for at least the next 10 years...

2021 Sept. 16
2022 Oct. 5
2023 Sept. 25
2024 Oct. 12
2025 Oct. 2
2026 Sept. 21
2027 Oct. 11
2028 Sept. 30
2029 Sept. 19
2030 Oct. 7

Well eventually this issue is going to roll around again and somebody is going to throw a fit. It is best to resolve it now.

With all due respect, since the next conceivable conflict is over a decade away this seems like more of a poorly-thought-out attention grab than anything else.
Last edited by Brettenwald on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRETTENWALD

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:27 pm

East Blepia wrote:N-Day begins at the same time worldwide whereas Yom Kippur depends on local sunrise and sunset times. In some timezones Yom Kippur barely coincides with N-Day or does not coincide at all and in some timezones they coincide completely.

You can't expect them to factor in every individual time zone when scheduling N-Day.

Guy wrote:Of course Jewish players can simply skip it, and most will this year!

What's been asked for is that in future years, due to the potential for a clash there, the admin team has regard to the timing of Yom Kippur and try to avoid a clash with N-Day.

Is there any downside to trying to avoid a clash that will mean a lot of players can't be online for N-Day? No, of course not. So it's probably time to stop arguing over this.

He's talking about this year's N-Day as much as future N-Days, so I can argue over this for as long as I please. I think you should stop trying to derail the thread and let the rest of discuss this.
Last edited by Side 3 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

East Blepia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Brettenwald wrote:If the inability to participate in N-Day is only going to affect a very small portion of the NS user base in actuality compared to your seeming insistence that it affects every Jewish NS player, what's the point of getting so fired up about it?

Yom Kippur will coincide with about the final half of N-Day in Eretz Yisrael.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical