NATION

PASSWORD

[Tech Ruling Request] The line between Browsers and Scripts

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

[Tech Ruling Request] The line between Browsers and Scripts

Postby SherpDaWerp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:04 pm

First, I'd like to note that this is somewhat related, but I didn't want to hijack the thread.

I provide (here) an easy-to-install version of 9003's script, mentioned in that thread. Currently, it has not much additional functionality (beyond Issue priorities).

I would like to use a headless browser system (through Selenium) to "click" the output links upon the user doing an action on the command line (most likely pressing enter).
An output link is of the format:
https://www.nationstates.net/container=Imperial_Regiment_III/page=enact_dilemma/choice-1=1/dilemma=574/template-overall=none/nation=Imperial_Regiment_III/asnation=Imperial_Regiment_III

This would not break simultaneity, as the script would definitely wait for one link to load before "clicking" the next.

My question is, does this count as only a user input action, or do I have to obey the HTML scripting ratelimit, too? I'm wary of setting it up, because it seems like it's a recipe for a dodgy system where someone can press enter once per second for an unrelated task and thus completely break the HTML scripting ratelimit.

So I'd like a ruling or clarification.
Where is the line between a browser (requires user input at 1:1, no ratelimit, restricted actions allowed) and a script (no user input, requires ratelimiting, no restricted actions) when hitting the HTML site?

EDIT: I'm happy to provide any needed clarification.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:10 pm

I would not consider a headless browser setup like Selenium or Puppeteer to be a browser, as they're not intended for use by humans. We permit tools and add-ons on the HTML site that are basically tweaking the normal browser experience for a person; this doesn't sound like that.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:48 pm

[violet] wrote:I would not consider a headless browser setup like Selenium or Puppeteer to be a browser, as they're not intended for use by humans. We permit tools and add-ons on the HTML site that are basically tweaking the normal browser experience for a person; this doesn't sound like that.

This would essentially be a script that reduces all user interaction with the site to pressing enter in a command-line application - opening provided links using Selenium by pressing enter.

While there's still technically human interaction, I can see why that would be classified as more of a script than a browser. (even if userscripts in regular browsers can do the same thing...) You've gotta draw the line somewhere.

Thanks for the clarification.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Return to Technical