NATION

PASSWORD

I have a question about the Red Dawn banner.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Uomelt
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

I have a question about the Red Dawn banner.

Postby Uomelt » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:41 am

First off:

1. How does it work? Does it automatically detect certain names?

2. Would one call a mudskipper a land-based animal or a freshwater animal?

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:04 pm

Uomelt wrote:How does it work? Does it automatically detect certain names?

There's a list of words that connect to land- and water-based animals, hard-coded somewhere in the game. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but alongside Red Dawn (land-based) there is also the banner Very Fishy (for marine-based animals).

Such a list will never catch edge cases without them being manually input, which might include "mudskipper". Instead, it looks for more general marine-based (dolphin, fish, shark, turtle, etc.) or land-based (cow, horse, tiger, rabbit etc.) names. These names don't have to be the entire animal, either, you can have a <thing> dolphin and because it's still got "dolphin" in it, it'll still be counted as marine based. A safe bet is that if an animal is on the list of randomly-generated options that starting nations can be assigned, it's probably classified as land or marine based.

I did look for whether there is a banner for air-based animals (birds), but I couldn't seem to find one, so the game might classify birds as land-based given that's where they nest.

Uomelt wrote:2. Would one call a mudskipper a land-based animal or a freshwater animal?
I would call it "amphibious", although the game likely wouldn't recognise it as either. If an animal isn't on either the land-based or marine-based list then the game won't give you the banner(s). This is wrong; see Trotterdam's post below.

If you want to get the banner(s) then I suggest you change your animal to "fish", then to "horse", then back to whatever you want; the game will (IIRC - it's been a while since I unlocked those two banners) instantly read your animal as being on the lists once you save your settings and give you the banners.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:56 pm

All animals that the game isn't specifically coded to recognize as water- or air-based are assumed to be land-based.

Uomelt
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Uomelt » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:09 am

Trotterdam wrote:All animals that the game isn't specifically coded to recognize as water- or air-based are assumed to be land-based.

thanks

Return to Technical