NATION

PASSWORD

The forum navigation tab on Mobile is.... weird.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Random Country 453632
Envoy

Founded: Jun 09, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

The forum navigation tab on Mobile is.... weird.

Postby Random Country 453632 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:27 am

So, I was using a mobile phone, and I decided to hop on the NS forums. I noticed that the navigation tab is how it is on computers. Can someone fix this, please?
RandomCountry453632, the randomest??? country in all of the Pacific!
Local news: Man arrested and sentences to 3 months in prison after asking police to do so
Randport Museum of Potatoes buys painting of an Internet phenomenon called "Quandale Dingle" for 2.3 million Randenominations

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:32 am

Random Country 453632 wrote:Can someone fix this, please?

You realise how difficult that would be? We shouldn’t fix something that isn’t broken. Just zoom in if you can’t read the text
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:39 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Random Country 453632 wrote:Can someone fix this, please?

You realise how difficult that would be? We shouldn’t fix something that isn’t broken. Just zoom in if you can’t read the text

I mean, it is kinda broken for people on mobile devices in terms of usability.

Like compare this screenshot taken from my phone of visiting these forums (having to direct link instead of embedding the images cause my phone res is over the image limit): https://u.cubeupload.com/AikoHeiwa/Scre ... 082808.png vs this one of me visiting another board I use that actually has a mobile format: https://u.cubeupload.com/AikoHeiwa/916S ... 082808.png

Yeah notice how everything on the latter site is actually properly formatted for usage on a touch screen device, telling people to 'just zoom in' when using their phones is bad design, but I also do get it. These boards were launched in 2009 before the whole mobile revolution really took hold and smart devices were still niche products and I also get that getting a mobile version would require an upgrade to a more current version of phpBB (I think current versions use responsive design which automatically adjusts layouts of boards based on screen sizes, resolutions, devices without needing to have a specific mobile version itself), which have mods have said would require such a massive upgrade to make sure all their modifications would work that it's like way down the pipeline in terms of when it'll happen.

And keep in mind - this is on my main phone and it's at least barely usable on that considering the resolution and my screen size (5.7 inches), but on my backup phone with only a 720p res 5 inch screen? Hoo boy it's a damn struggle to even use these boards at all on there, especially when I try and click on smaller elements.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:38 am

Newer versions of phpBB do actually have a mobile version- I've used it myself. Unfortunately, this forum is running on an outdated version of phpBB because of all the modifications that site staff made to connect it to gameside. An update is on the to-do list, I think, but it will be a massive undertaking if it ever happens.

Note that while the current forum isn't very mobile-friendly, it is mobile-usable. I have a phone with a 4-inch screen (from back when phones fit easily into pockets), and I just got used to a lot of zooming and panning.
Last edited by Phydios on Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:07 am

Does flipping your phone to the side do anything?
I usually do that if the words go out of the screen.
johnathan

Free Las Pinas
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Free Las Pinas » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:05 am

When you cross out the thing on the left and use landscape orientation, it isn’t too bad. Like someone above me mentioned, this is an outdated version, so I’m guessing we’ll just have to bear with this until NS figures something out.

Return to Technical