NATION

PASSWORD

What currencies does NationStates accept?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Ebrilond
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

What currencies does NationStates accept?

Postby Ebrilond » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:52 am

I'm terribly sorry if this is the wrong place to post, or if this is a stupid question- but does NationStates only accept the currencies listed on their Store page (USD, Swedish Krona etc)? I really want to buy the Site Supporter (and maybe some other things later) but I fear that I might mess up things. Or does the site convert currencies automatically at the current exchange rate? Thanks for all the help.
Needs a new signature.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:45 am

Australian Dollars, British Pound Sterling, Canadian Dollars, New Zealand Dollars, Swedish Krona, Euros and American Dollars I think
Last edited by Mathuvan Union on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Ebrilond
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ebrilond » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:12 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:Australian Dollars, British Pound Sterling, Canadian Dollars, New Zealand Dollars, Swedish Kroan and American Dollars I think

Darn it. Guess I have to wait until they add other currencies.
Still, thanks for the help!
Needs a new signature.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:17 am

Ebrilond wrote:
Mathuvan Union wrote:Australian Dollars, British Pound Sterling, Canadian Dollars, New Zealand Dollars, Swedish Kroan and American Dollars I think

Darn it. Guess I have to wait until they add other currencies.
Still, thanks for the help!

Oh and euros, forgot those.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:25 am

I mean, if you're paying via debit or credit card, it should just convert it automatically when you pay.

Same way how I can order stuff from Japan that's priced in yen despite my credit card being issued and tied to my US-based credit union.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:35 am

Gandoor wrote:I mean, if you're paying via debit or credit card, it should just convert it automatically when you pay.

Same way how I can order stuff from Japan that's priced in yen despite my credit card being issued and tied to my US-based credit union.

that's the only way to pay, I don't really understand having it in multiple currencies other than saving the transfer fee

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:37 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Gandoor wrote:I mean, if you're paying via debit or credit card, it should just convert it automatically when you pay.

that's the only way to pay, I don't really understand having it in multiple currencies other than saving the transfer fee

How do you know it’s only in those currencies? It might just be for conversion purposes only.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:39 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Mathuvan Union wrote:that's the only way to pay, I don't really understand having it in multiple currencies other than saving the transfer fee

How do you know it’s only in those currencies? It might just be for conversion purposes only.

those are the only ones that you can show prices for on the store.
logically, everything is taken, even the most worthless currencies like Won, Rupees and Vietnamese Dong.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:40 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:How do you know it’s only in those currencies? It might just be for conversion purposes only.

those are the only ones that you can show prices for on the store.
logically, everything is taken, even the most worthless currencies like Won, Rupees and Vietnamese Dong.

Exactly. So, perhaps it’s for conversion purposes.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:43 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Mathuvan Union wrote:those are the only ones that you can show prices for on the store.

Exactly. So, perhaps it’s for conversion purposes.

this works just as well

Ebrilond
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ebrilond » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:38 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Exactly. So, perhaps it’s for conversion purposes.

this works just as well

Soo... Should I try it or not?
Needs a new signature.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:40 am

Ebrilond wrote:

Soo... Should I try it or not?

it's your choice, you can buy on the store with any currency on earth.
the purposes of the aforementioned currencies is those are the more common currencies among those who play NS (I presume).

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:40 am

No reason not to.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:44 pm

It wouldn’t hurt anything

Founder of Victorian Era RP 2,
Loves God, guns and Trump
Stand with France

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:47 pm

Sure!
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Estado Novo Portugues
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Estado Novo Portugues » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:59 am

Apparently, there's an additional 10 % tax if you pay with Australian dollars, because NS is based in Australia.
IC name: Holy and Pontifical State of Portugal
Posts before 2021 aren't canon.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:16 am

Estado Novo Portugues wrote:Apparently, there's an additional 10 % tax if you pay with Australian dollars, because NS is based in Australia.

it's actually in the terms of service - legal stuff is based off Victorian law and Australian federal law.
that's just a federal tax.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:09 pm

Mathuvan Union wrote:it's your choice, you can buy on the store with any currency on earth.
the purposes of the aforementioned currencies is those are the more common currencies among those who play NS (I presume).

Yes, it's usually nicer to pay in your own currency, because you know exactly how much you'll be charged. But you can use any currency and the payments people (PayPal, Stripe, or your bank) will convert it.

There used to be a few more currencies listed, but nobody used them, so I removed them. Almost everyone uses US dollars.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical