NATION

PASSWORD

Not Secure

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 04, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Not Secure

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:13 am

Normally with some threads in here I would see the exclamation mark about whether it is secure or not but today it seems several threads are now just straight up not secure. Is there a reason for this? All of these threads seem to have images on the OP post if there is a link to that.
Last edited by Naval Monte on Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naval Monte- The Mediterranean crossroads of mind-controlling conspiracies, twisted dimensions, inhuman depravity, questionable science, unholy commerce, heretical faiths, absurd politics, and cutting-edge art.

Make wonderful memories here, in Naval Monte.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:17 am

Naval Monte wrote:(Image)

Normally with some threads in here I would see the exclamation mark about whether it is secure or not but today it seems several threads are now just straight up not secure. Is there a reason for this? All of these threads seem to have images on the OP post if there is a link to that.

I get that for many websites I think its something up with the software in Microsoft, Google or whoever try and refresh its what I do
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Zandilund
Attaché

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Zandilund » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:18 am

Sometimes happens even when threads don't have images. It looks like a glitch to me, just refresh.
Controlled by the same player who controls The Allied Tribe.

I'm not as active as I used to be (probably active once every 3-7 days) as I'm spending a lot more time on more important things. This has nothing to do with why I'm not as active, but I'm sad because a lot of ideas I thought of but never used in an F7 thread (e.g. the life simulator and make a multiverse) were used. Next time I think of something I should probably use it immediately instead of waiting a few months and having somebody else take it.

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:19 am

Zandilund wrote:

Sometimes happens even when threads don't have images. It looks like a glitch to me, just refresh.

the page itself right? I'll see if that works.
Naval Monte- The Mediterranean crossroads of mind-controlling conspiracies, twisted dimensions, inhuman depravity, questionable science, unholy commerce, heretical faiths, absurd politics, and cutting-edge art.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:19 am

Some forum topics have that at first page for some reason. The news page is pretty much always not secure I heard.
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

East Lebatuck-
Lobbyist

Founded: May 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby East Lebatuck- » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:20 am

Naval Monte wrote:
Zandilund wrote:

Yeah.

If it doesn't work, I'm not sure what does. Can you give us a link to a thread that was "not secure" so we can see if it actually is?
OOC Name is East Lebatuck.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:22 am

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:23 am

East Lebatuck- wrote:
Naval Monte wrote:

Yeah.

If it doesn't work, I'm not sure what does. Can you give us a link to a thread that was "not secure" so we can see if it actually is?

Here are some examples.

One
Two
Three

Refreshing didn't work unless they meant like my computer or restarting it.

Zandilund
Attaché

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Zandilund » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:24 am

La xinga wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=483735

Yep, listed as not secure. Not sure why though.
Controlled by the same player who controls The Allied Tribe.

I'm not as active as I used to be (probably active once every 3-7 days) as I'm spending a lot more time on more important things. This has nothing to do with why I'm not as active, but I'm sad because a lot of ideas I thought of but never used in an F7 thread (e.g. the life simulator and make a multiverse) were used. Next time I think of something I should probably use it immediately instead of waiting a few months and having somebody else take it.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:28 am

La xinga wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=483735

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=172574

Although old......

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:30 am

Clicking on the triangle gives me this.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:32 am

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:33 am

Naval Monte wrote:
East Lebatuck- wrote:
Yeah.

Here are some examples.

One
Two
Three

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=465306

Another one in P2TM.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:34 am

La xinga wrote:
Naval Monte wrote:
Here are some examples.

One
Two
Three

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=465306

Another one in P2TM.

Now my RP as well.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=454452
Last edited by Naval Monte on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:38 am

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=420000

This is a sticky in Arts and Fiction.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Silver Commonwealth
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 16, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Silver Commonwealth » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:40 am

I think that it is because one or more images in the page are hosted on sites which don't have a security certificate, a.k.a the https:// in the address bar. You can check that by right-clicking on the image and clicking on ''open image in a new tab'', to see if it has the key at the left side of web address. To fix that you can try to replace the ''http'' with ''https'' in the web address bar, or try to find an another image which is hosted on a site with secure connection (In case if it is your post - if it is by someone else, you can tell them to do that). That said, previously it only showed this symbol Image if it didn't have a certificate, and a red triangle appeared only if the site was marked as one which could be dangerous or something was severely wrong with the privacy. I think that it might be a part of a recent visual update or something, tho, because I haven't seen a grey triangle before.

For example, in this page there is no triangle, as all images are hosted on sites with security certificate (Imgur in this case).
Last edited by Silver Commonwealth on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
✥ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡꜱ ✥
- ꜱɴɴ
- ᴀʀᴄʜɪᴠᴇ
✉ ʀᴀɴᴅᴏᴍ ✉
- ᴀᴅᴍɪɴɪꜱᴛʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
- ꜱᴛᴏʀɪᴇꜱ
⚒ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴀᴛɪᴏɴᴀʟ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ʀᴇᴘᴜʙʟɪᴄ ᴏꜰ ꜱɪʟᴠᴇʀ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴏɴᴡᴇᴀʟᴛʜ ⚒
|☐ʜᴏᴍᴇ☐|❖ꜱᴄ ɪɴ ʜᴏɪ4❖|★ꜱᴄ'ꜱ ʀᴀᴅɪᴏ&ʟᴏᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ★|❇ᴄᴏɴꜱᴛɪᴛᴜᴛɪᴏɴ❇|✧ᴍɪʟɪᴛᴀʀʏ✧|✝ᴍᴀᴘꜱ&ɪɴꜰᴏ✝|☢ʜɪꜱᴛᴏʀʏ☢|
⚖ ᴀꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴅᴇʀᴀᴛᴇꜱ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ꜰᴇʟʟ,
ʀᴀᴅɪᴄᴀʟɪᴢᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴄ'ꜱ ᴅᴇᴍᴏᴄʀᴀᴄʏ ꜱᴜᴘᴘᴏʀᴛᴇʀꜱ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴍᴇ ᴀ ᴍᴀᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴜʀᴠɪᴠᴀʟ ☠
_[][][][][][][L'''][Σ][][~][][][]_
̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿

This nation doesn't represent my views

IRL views: not much different from 4 years ago (socdem)

Tom being a control freak + pathological distrust of private enterprises = this nation

''I thought that I was a conservative. Turns out, I was just sentimental at times''

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:41 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=191475

If a thread to report bad ads is not secure......

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:41 am

Silver Commonwealth wrote:I think that it is because one or more images in the page are hosted on sites which don't have a security certificate, a.k.a the https:// in the address bar. You can check that by right-clicking on the image and clicking on ''open image in a new tab'', to see if it has the key at the left side of web address. To fix that you can try to replace the ''http'' with ''https'' in the web address bar, or try to find an another image which is hosted on a site with secure connection. That said, previously it only showed this symbol (Image) if it didn't have a certificate, and a red triangle appeared only if the site was marked as one which could be dangerous or something was severely wrong with the privacy. I think that it might be a part of a recent visual update or something, tho, because I haven't seen a grey triangle before.

Yeah they all had that mark before today.

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:45 am

Silver Commonwealth wrote:I think that it is because one or more images in the page are hosted on sites which don't have a security certificate, a.k.a the https:// in the address bar. You can check that by right-clicking on the image and clicking on ''open image in a new tab'', to see if it has the key at the left side of web address. To fix that you can try to replace the ''http'' with ''https'' in the web address bar, or try to find an another image which is hosted on a site with secure connection. That said, previously it only showed this symbol (Image) if it didn't have a certificate, and a red triangle appeared only if the site was marked as one which could be dangerous or something was severely wrong with the privacy. I think that it might be a part of a recent visual update or something, tho, because I haven't seen a grey triangle before.

For example, in this page there is no triangle, as all images are hosted on sites with security certificate (Imgur in this case).

I've noticed that for some the issue comes from an image made by another player because the images I used on my RP were secured by the one used by another player was not.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:48 am

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=452084

The head saloon too?

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:58 am

Naval Monte wrote:Clicking on the triangle gives me this.
(Image)

It's nothing to really be particularly concerned about, iirc it's usually caused by there being non-https elements somewhere on the page.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:08 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Naval Monte wrote:Clicking on the triangle gives me this.
(Image)

It's nothing to really be particularly concerned about, iirc it's usually caused by there being non-https elements somewhere on the page.

Yeah. I found one in my Rp and two in another. It's just I'm concern because my computer is old and I don't want to risk it getting infected. I lost my previous computers due to viruses so I'm keen on not having history repeat itself.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:20 pm

Naval Monte wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It's nothing to really be particularly concerned about, iirc it's usually caused by there being non-https elements somewhere on the page.

Yeah. I found one in my Rp and two in another. It's just I'm concern because my computer is old and I don't want to risk it getting infected. I lost my previous computers due to viruses so I'm keen on not having history repeat itself.

Keep in mind though I'm meaning NS in particular. If you see that warning on shopping sites etc where you are handing over credit card info and other personal information then it is far more of a concern, and generally one shouldn't share any info on those kinds of sites if they have that warning.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:29 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Naval Monte wrote:

Keep in mind though I'm meaning NS in particular. If you see that warning on shopping sites etc where you are handing over credit card info and other personal information then it is far more of a concern, and generally one shouldn't share any info on those kinds of sites if they have that warning.

Yeah I won't trust a shopping site with that warning. For this site it might not be a big issue but I rather try to fix it than just ignore, maybe I'm being overly cautious or paranoid but I just want to try and do something to remedy the situation.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Naval Monte wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Keep in mind though I'm meaning NS in particular. If you see that warning on shopping sites etc where you are handing over credit card info and other personal information then it is far more of a concern, and generally one shouldn't share any info on those kinds of sites if they have that warning.

Yeah I won't trust a shopping site with that warning. For this site it might not be a big issue but I rather try to fix it than just ignore, maybe I'm being overly cautious or paranoid but I just want to try and do something to remedy the situation.

I'm sure an admin will be along eventually to give the "official" response to the query, but it'll likely just be something along the lines of "we can't fix it without breaking site usability in terms of people needing to use third-party assets such as images etc."

Wave on, wave on

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical