NATION

PASSWORD

Wealth gap stats glitched and nerfed

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Liberimarcat
Attaché

Founded: Jun 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Wealth gap stats glitched and nerfed

Postby Liberimarcat » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:48 am

Recently, wealth gaps fell in such a way with the nations in my region, and maybe others outside as well, that it's obviously a glitch in the stats, this couldn't have been caused by issues.

For example:

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=lib ... censusid=4

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=vak ... censusid=4

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=jam ... censusid=4 (this fell far compared to what it was before)

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=new ... censusid=4

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=ria ... censusid=4

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=krv ... censusid=4
Overview

Minarchist nation, Libertarian IRL

I like video games, hockey, football, and politics

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:49 am

Not a glitch, it was a result of the OP WA resolution that passed recently. Unfortunately.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Liberimarcat
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimarcat » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:58 am

Honeydewistania wrote:Not a glitch, it was a result of the OP WA resolution that passed recently. Unfortunately.

Oof, that's heavily unfortunate. Leaving the WA so my stats don't plummet again.
Overview

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:06 am

Liberimarcat wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Not a glitch, it was a result of the OP WA resolution that passed recently. Unfortunately.

Oof, that's heavily unfortunate. Leaving the WA so my stats don't plummet again.

Same. I've learned my lesson now. :p
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:11 am

Oooh I didn't even realise my "Average Income of Rich" and "Wealth Gap" stats changed so drastically. Wow. Not as crazy as some of yours, but still very, very significant.

I knew WA resolutions had an impact on stats, but think this is the most severe impact I've ever seen. Thanks for pointing this out.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:14 am

Land Without Shrimp wrote:Oooh I didn't even realise my "Average Income of Rich" and "Wealth Gap" stats changed so drastically. Wow. Not as crazy as some of yours, but still very, very significant.

I knew WA resolutions had an impact on stats, but think this is the most severe impact I've ever seen. Thanks for pointing this out.

It's quite severe. I'm still in awe at this

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:18 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Land Without Shrimp wrote:Oooh I didn't even realise my "Average Income of Rich" and "Wealth Gap" stats changed so drastically. Wow. Not as crazy as some of yours, but still very, very significant.

It's quite severe. I'm still in awe at this

And it's aggravating for someone like me who wants my "main" nation to be in WA (not a puppet, which I often see suggested), but also believe pretty strongly in national sovereignty and like my stats the way they are. This doesn't bother me mostly because I don't really care about my Wealth Gaps or Average Income of Poor/Rich stats, but it sets a precedent. And if a WA resolution passed that affected a stat I really care about (of which there are several), I would be...extremely upset. Feel for all of you that got hammered by this one. :/

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:22 am

Land Without Shrimp wrote:And it's aggravating for someone like me who wants my "main" nation to be in WA (not a puppet, which I often see suggested), but also believe pretty strongly in national sovereignty and like my stats the way they are. This doesn't bother me mostly because I don't really care about my Wealth Gaps or Average Income of Poor/Rich stats, but it sets a precedent. And if a WA resolution passed that affected a stat I really care about (of which there are several), I would be...extremely upset. Feel for all of you that got hammered by this one. :/

Imagine a future WA resolution where it changes your Economy, Military or Industry stats... I would be furious.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Liberimarcat
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimarcat » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:33 am

Land Without Shrimp wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:It's quite severe. I'm still in awe at this

And it's aggravating for someone like me who wants my "main" nation to be in WA (not a puppet, which I often see suggested), but also believe pretty strongly in national sovereignty and like my stats the way they are. This doesn't bother me mostly because I don't really care about my Wealth Gaps or Average Income of Poor/Rich stats, but it sets a precedent. And if a WA resolution passed that affected a stat I really care about (of which there are several), I would be...extremely upset. Feel for all of you that got hammered by this one. :/

Yeah, I went from top 0.3% for wealth gap to top 18%. Very jarring, especially since it was a stat I was specifically working toward. A friend of mine was in the top 100 and now is farther down than me.
Overview

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:25 am

I already vote against pretty much every WA resolution as it is. This is definitely going to ensure I continue that trend.

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Land Without Shrimp wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:It's quite severe. I'm still in awe at this

All WA resolutions influence your stats, but usually never to even remotely this extent. I wonder if this was intended...
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Liberimarcat
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimarcat » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:29 pm

Old Hope wrote:
Land Without Shrimp wrote:And it's aggravating for someone like me who wants my "main" nation to be in WA (not a puppet, which I often see suggested), but also believe pretty strongly in national sovereignty and like my stats the way they are. This doesn't bother me mostly because I don't really care about my Wealth Gaps or Average Income of Poor/Rich stats, but it sets a precedent. And if a WA resolution passed that affected a stat I really care about (of which there are several), I would be...extremely upset. Feel for all of you that got hammered by this one. :/

All WA resolutions influence your stats, but usually never to even remotely this extent. I wonder if this was intended...

Honestly, most likely. Usually I don't want to fall into the CCD-esque "WA is corrupt" spiel, but I would say, considering the nature of the author nation as well, that this was most likely meant to be a broad economic attack.
Overview

Reorganisieren Reichregierung
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Reorganisieren Reichregierung » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:33 pm

IMO something should be done to prevent WA resolutions from causing extreme changes in stats. Many of us grinded through hundreds of issues and it isn't fair that one WA resolution can wipe all that work out.
Last edited by Reorganisieren Reichregierung on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GROSSGERMANISCHES REICH DEUTSCHEN NATION
Canons: Kali Yuga | TSC
Overview | Government | Military | Economy

Generic Reich LARP nation #557753245. Call me "Reich", "RR" or by nation name only if OOC.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:51 pm

Reorganisieren Reichregierung wrote:IMO something should be done to prevent WA resolutions from causing extreme changes in stats. Many of us grinded through hundreds of issues and it isn't fair that one WA resolution can wipe all that work out.

If you choose to join the WA, you accept the (sometimes unwanted) effects it has on your stats. It's a trade-off.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Reorganisieren Reichregierung
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Reorganisieren Reichregierung » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:15 pm

Phydios wrote:
Reorganisieren Reichregierung wrote:IMO something should be done to prevent WA resolutions from causing extreme changes in stats. Many of us grinded through hundreds of issues and it isn't fair that one WA resolution can wipe all that work out.

If you choose to join the WA, you accept the (sometimes unwanted) effects it has on your stats. It's a trade-off.

Yes but this is a rather extreme case. There were drops of more than 50% in magnitude.
GROSSGERMANISCHES REICH DEUTSCHEN NATION
Canons: Kali Yuga | TSC
Overview | Government | Military | Economy

Generic Reich LARP nation #557753245. Call me "Reich", "RR" or by nation name only if OOC.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:53 pm

me, but on discord wrote:It's easy for me to say, I didn't get stats tanked, but I do think this is a good thing. If you wouldn't choose an option that did <law>, why do people feel fine with having the WA do <law>? The WA and issues should have similar effects and this is just an example of that in action.

If everyone that was negatively affected by this change was presented with an issue that said "do you wanna give rights to workers", they would say "no", because that's the country they're building. Effectively, this resolution has said "yes" to such an option, which caused the stat changes.

I can concede that this was perhaps a bit drastic of an example - WA stat changes went from 0 to 100 quite fast - but I think it's a good thing overall. There will be much more consideration over support from less... ethical... members, and I expect a few more people will do the resign-at-update trick to avoid changes.

What would be cool would be a gameside mechanism to deal with non-compliance, so people could register non-compliance in return for some other negative effects, although that would be incredibly difficult to implement in a balanced manner.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Liberimarcat wrote:Honestly, most likely. Usually I don't want to fall into the CCD-esque "WA is corrupt" spiel, but I would say, considering the nature of the author nation as well, that this was most likely meant to be a broad economic attack.

Even the author was hit, hard. Looks like he accepted that.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Vaktaria
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaktaria » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:20 am

Somebody end me now.

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:37 pm

Just for fun, I looked through the rankings to find the highest ranked WA-nation for "Average Income of Rich" - it's this nation.. Now #368 in world. Previously somewhere around #15, it looks like. Fun times. :p

Liberimarcat
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimarcat » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:31 pm

Land Without Shrimp wrote:Just for fun, I looked through the rankings to find the highest ranked WA-nation for "Average Income of Rich" - it's this nation.. Now #368 in world. Previously somewhere around #15, it looks like. Fun times. :p

That is actually terrible. I've never seen such an extreme outcome.
Overview

Andrepoiy
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Income Equality sudden increase without issue answered

Postby Andrepoiy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:51 am

My income equality value went from 1.68 to 21.5 a 7 days ago (rich and poor incomes also affected). I haven't answered a single issue in 12 days, so something buggy must have happened there.
Last edited by Andrepoiy on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
CAPITALISM!!!!

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Andrepoiy wrote:My income equality value went from 1.68 to 21.5 a 7 days ago (rich and poor incomes also affected). I haven't answered a single issue in 12 days, so something buggy must have happened there.

Your nation is in the WA, so it was affected by recent WA resolution Protecting Legal Rights of Workers. Apparently this is not a bug, but working as intended.
Last edited by Land Without Shrimp on Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrepoiy
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Andrepoiy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:05 pm

I have now left the WA but my stats didn't reverse.
CAPITALISM!!!!

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:16 pm

Andrepoiy wrote:I have now left the WA but my stats didn't reverse.

I don't think it will. :( Once you get hit by a WA resolution, leaving the WA won't undo the stat changes caused when you were in the WA.

But now that you've left, you won't be affected by any further WA resolutions!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical