NATION

PASSWORD

This Game Needs an Off-Line Mode

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Polis Diamonil
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

This Game Needs an Off-Line Mode

Postby Polis Diamonil » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:43 am

Rain Falling in a Digital Void is all me. Canonically, it's called Rafaiad. NationStates runs a crude system that mistreats creativity, but I've done my best to twist together something of a narrative structure differentiating the nations of Rafaiad and yet building them together.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:09 pm

I've read your dispatch through several times - yet I am still confused what in the world you're talking about. How does an issue have a fixed name for a speaker (if it even is a fixed name. The spoiler thread shows it as being random) lead to the game being run by fascists? I'm really struggling here because there seems to be no logic to your argument whatsoever.
See You Space Cowboy...

Omniabstracta
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Omniabstracta » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:11 pm

Not really sure what you’re talking about, but the full text of all the issues is publicly available in the list of issues thread in Got Issues. The name is purposefully written into the issue, yes, it appears to everyone and is a pun on Georges-Eugène Haussmann, who redesigned the streets of Paris. How that is indicative of “fascistic stalking”, or anything else for that matter, is beyond me.
"It was golden, purple, violet, gray and blue. It lighted every peak, crevasse and ridge of the nearby mountain range with a clarity and beauty that cannot be described but must be seen to be imagined. It was that beauty that the great poets dream about but describe most poorly and inadequately..."

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:12 pm

I had to look this one up too, but Eugene Houseman is a reference to Georges-Eugène Haussmann of the Napoleon III era, it's not random.

A quick sample of the issue base shows other fixed names such as Kerri Cracking (Mary Poppins), Jacob John Schmidt Jingleheimer (for a "that's my name too" issue), Fenix Rong (Phoenix Wright), Onya Baike (on your bike), and about a dozen different jokes at Elon Musk's expense. I don't think they're symptomatic of an overall ideological bias, but even if they were, I'm not sure how having an offline version would fix this.
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Dolgo
Spokesperson

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Dolgo » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:46 pm

I'm all for making the game open-source, but that's up to the owner. Nonetheless, there's never going to be an "off-line" mode even if it becomes open-source unless you're running a virtual or local server... Removing that requirement would be quite involved to say the least.
Dolgo, officially the State of Dolgo, is an ecoauthoritarian superstate that was formed in 1 DE following the dissolution of the Flare Republics (World Consensus). Its formation was a direct consequence of the Mass Repair, a utilitarian genocide of those deemed to be a threat to the new world order. The regime considers the preservation of biodiversity as one of its top three priorities, the other two being quality of life and maintenance of geopolitical stability.

Return to Technical