NATION

PASSWORD

WA Resolutions Effecting Stats

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Awesomeland012345
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

WA Resolutions Effecting Stats

Postby Awesomeland012345 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:00 pm

I know that GA resolutions effect stats, but how? Can they cause significant changes in my nation's stats or destroy the stats that I've been working toward for months?

Pax Operia
Civilian

Founded: Apr 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Pax Operia » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:03 pm

No, they do not significantly change your nation statistics.
Last edited by Pax Operia on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:52 pm

Awesomeland012345 wrote:I know that GA resolutions effect stats, but how? Can they cause significant changes in my nation's stats or destroy the stats that I've been working toward for months?

Last I heard, the three categories (Mild, Significant, Strong) are roughly equal to 1 issue; 2 issues and 3 issues worth of stat changes, respectively.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:14 pm

Pax Operia wrote:No, they do not significantly change your nation statistics.

You're not site staff, so your reponse must be considered anecdotal as you see it. You should probably avoid answering posts in Technical if you're just pulling your answer out of thin air.

"Significantly" is in the eye of the beholder. If you've managed to become extremely high or extremely low in certain stats, a GA proposal could move you towards the center more than you'd like.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:47 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:-snip-

Any confirmation of the 3-issue thing? I think it was Sanctaria that made the original comparison, but I can't find any quote for the life of me.

It would be nice to be able to quote a proper Site Staff response to this question next time it comes up.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:50 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:Any confirmation of the 3-issue thing?

Nope. It's not that cut-and-dried.

SherpDaWerp wrote:It would be nice to be able to quote a proper Site Staff response to this question

We deliberately don't answer these sorts of questions. People like to make their own discoveries. I will say that the stats code is more complex than most people suspect, and your outcome may be radically different when compared to the next player, or even your own puppets.

You can quote me on that.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:

SherpDaWerp wrote:It would be nice to be able to quote a proper Site Staff response to this question

We deliberately don't answer these sorts of questions. People like to make their own discoveries. I will say that the stats code is more complex than most people suspect, and your outcome may be radically different when compared to the next player, or even your own puppets.

You can quote me on that.

An answer is an answer, regardless of whether it's what I hoped for. Even knowing that my 3-issue comparison is likely incorrect helps; I'll not use that one to answer future queries.

Thanks!

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:11 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:

Broadly speaking, Sherp is correct in that last time we (the Editors) changed the stats for GA resolutions, it was with the following in mind:

- that Mild resolutions should change a nation's stats in more or less a similar way than 1 issue on the same or similar topic would
- that Significant resolutions should change a nation's stats in more or less a similar way than 2 issues on the same or similar topic would
- that Strong resolutions should change a nation's stats in more or less a similar way than 3 issues on the same or similar topic would

This is, as I said, just broadly speaking, as we're not going to divulge any more specifics. You will also find that, given it's GenSec who at the end of the day rule on any category challenges, that something the Editors would consider should be Strong may end up only being ruled as a Mild strength. GenSec don't have access to resolution stats so they have a different yardstick for determining correct strength.

So in general, yes it's 1-2-3, but ymmv.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:16 am

Awesomeland012345 wrote:I know that GA resolutions effect stats, but how? Can they cause significant changes in my nation's stats or destroy the stats that I've been working toward for months?

My Moral Decency - Mild resolution (GA#498) causes Giovanniland‘s very high civil rights stat to drop by 0.7 points, so make of that what you will.

If you’re concerned about stats, have a WA puppet.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:32 am

Sanctaria wrote:Broadly speaking, Sherp is correct in that last time we (the Editors) changed the stats for GA resolutions, it was with the following in mind:
So I'm not going insane, such a relationship was a thing.

Sanctaria wrote:So in general, yes it's 1-2-3, but ymmv.
To be fair, "ymmv" is an apt description for most of NS.

Thanks for the clarification.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical