NATION

PASSWORD

Problem with URL links

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Mirjt
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Problem with URL links

Postby Mirjt » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:42 am

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this question, but...

I have recently noticed that the links in my factbooks all redirect to nationstates.net, how do I fix that?
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)
I'm on an SSRI anti-depressant now.

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Mirjt wrote:I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this question, but...

I have recently noticed that the links in my factbooks all redirect to nationstates.net, how do I fix that?

I've gone through several of your factbooks and can't find a problem. Only nationstates.net links are made clickable- offsite links remain plain text. But I don't see any URL redirection going on.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

All Countryhumans
Secretary

Founded: May 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby All Countryhumans » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:13 pm

Phydios wrote:
Mirjt wrote:I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this question, but...

I've gone through several of your factbooks and can't find a problem. Only nationstates.net links are made clickable- offsite links remain plain text. But I don't see any URL redirection going on.

I can click on offsite links and it takes me to the site of them

Mirjt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Phydios wrote:

I decided to remove the [url] code from my factbooks and make them plain text for the benefit of people who click them. Everytime I clicked on the links I would be redirected to nationstates.net

I will change the first link in the RL Politics Factbook linked in my signature to show what I mean.

All the links that link to a factbook work, it just when the link is for another site.
Last edited by Mirjt on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

Mirjt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:12 pm

If others aren't having that problem is it just me somehow?

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:27 pm

I see what you mean now. Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't help. I know that on RMBs, NationStates does not allow offsite links to be made clickable. Maybe this is related? It certainly looks like a bug. Can you just leave the links as plain text?
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Mirjt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Phydios wrote:I see what you mean now. Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't help. I know that on RMBs, NationStates does not allow offsite links to be made clickable. Maybe this is related? It certainly looks like a bug. Can you just leave the links as plain text?

Yeah, I think I will just keep any links as plain text until I learn of this bug being fixed.

Thank You.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:30 pm

There are no links in the Factbook now. Can you provide an example of the problem?

Mirjt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:41 pm

[violet] wrote:There are no links in the Factbook now. Can you provide an example of the problem?

I will make a dispatch for the purpose a having links up to demonstrate the issue. I will link to the dispatch here. My experience is that the link to the dispatch will work, but none of the links to other sites on the dispatch will, they will instead all redirect to nationstates.net.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:26 pm

The problem is that you're not using the [ url ] tag correctly -- it should follow the format described in this dispatch where you set the link target inside the square brackets. You have tags like "[url=]" with no target, so it defaults back to the site root.

Mirjt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:01 pm

[violet] wrote:The problem is that you're not using the [ url ] tag correctly -- it should follow the format described in this dispatch where you set the link target inside the square brackets. You have tags like "[url=]" with no target, so it defaults back to the site root.

Thanks, I will get around to fixing my links a little later.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical