NATION

PASSWORD

Rename Function?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Volomia
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Rename Function?

Postby Volomia » Fri May 29, 2020 11:30 pm

There could be ways to avoid people from renaming their nations to something bad and there has to be a code where it is easier to rename your nation without going through trouble, I really think this should be a thing but not for free, like 20 Value or 10 Value of cards you can select to have a rename for your nation. It makes sense since these cards of art put together to create a name (of your choosing)

I am sure it will make a lot of people happy if this was implemented in a safe and good way and I hope this can be further doscussed for this idea to be considered and implemented in the future.
Last edited by Volomia on Fri May 29, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri May 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Volomia wrote:There could be ways to avoid people from renaming their nations to something bad and there has to be a code where it is easier to rename your nation without going through trouble, I really think this should be a thing but not for free, like 20 Value or 10 Value of cards you can select to have a rename for your nation. It makes sense since these cards of art put together to create a name (of your choosing)

I sm sure it will make a lot of people happy if this was implemented in a safe and good way and I hope this can be further doscussed for this idea to be considered and implemented in the future.

It’s not that the mods or admins don’t want you to change your name, it would be because it would require a huge overhaul of the system. Nation Names have to be unique and that’s the way it’s been for 17 years, and it’ll continue to be for 17 years more.

You can always create a new nation with a new name though.
Last edited by Honeydewistania on Fri May 29, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Volomia
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Volomia » Fri May 29, 2020 11:38 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
Volomia wrote:There could be ways to avoid people from renaming their nations to something bad and there has to be a code where it is easier to rename your nation without going through trouble, I really think this should be a thing but not for free, like 20 Value or 10 Value of cards you can select to have a rename for your nation. It makes sense since these cards of art put together to create a name (of your choosing)

I sm sure it will make a lot of people happy if this was implemented in a safe and good way and I hope this can be further doscussed for this idea to be considered and implemented in the future.

It’s not that the mods or admins don’t want you to change your name, it would be because it would require a huge overhaul of the system. Nation Names have to be unique and that’s the way it’s been for 17 years, and it’ll continue to be for 17 years more.

It is just an idea and the system can be upgraded if this would effrct it, for this and other creative ideas that others has in mind, some doesn't want to make a new nation plus when you grow you would start to think of a better name that fits perfectly for you and the nation.

East Blepia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Fri May 29, 2020 11:43 pm

Volomia wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:It’s not that the mods or admins don’t want you to change your name, it would be because it would require a huge overhaul of the system. Nation Names have to be unique and that’s the way it’s been for 17 years, and it’ll continue to be for 17 years more.

It is just an idea and the system can be upgraded if this would effrct it, for this and other creative ideas that others has in mind, some doesn't want to make a new nation plus when you grow you would start to think of a better name that fits perfectly for you and the nation.

It is just an idea, but if you make a forum post about it, people are going to debate its merits and criticise it.

Many notable nations have bad names (take for example 9003 and Noah's second country) and they do not seem to mind.
20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, 10 years in Syria, constant brinksmanship with Iran, $230 billion[1] and counting in military and economic aid to a first-world country, and the agitation of Islamic extremism[2] causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths is not enough. America MUST do more for Israel. If you ask what we get in exchange, you are an anti-semite.

1. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf "As of March 2020, in 2018 U.S. dollars (inflation-adjusted), total U.S.
aid to Israel... is $236 billion."

2. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver "Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple...You attacked us in Palestine...the degree of American support for Israel"

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Fri May 29, 2020 11:46 pm

Volomia wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:It’s not that the mods or admins don’t want you to change your name, it would be because it would require a huge overhaul of the system. Nation Names have to be unique and that’s the way it’s been for 17 years, and it’ll continue to be for 17 years more.

I have never understood why so many people's first reaction to negative feedback on their suggestion is "it's just an idea". Yeah, and it's a bad one, for reasons that have been clearly explained to you. You don't have the faintest shadow of a shadow of an idea of what this "upgrade" would consist of. Based on information shared by the admins, I'm pretty certain that the whole game would pretty much have to be rewritten to use a separate ID as a nation's identifier rather than the nation's name. There would be days of downtime, at best- more likely months. After all, the admins do have real-life jobs and maintain this game in their free time.
Last edited by Phydios on Sat May 30, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sat May 30, 2020 1:11 am

East Blepia wrote:Many notable nations have bad names (take for example 9003 and Noah's second country) and they do not seem to mind.

:unsure:
I have never understood why so many people's first reaction to negative feedback on their suggestion is "it's just an idea". Yeah, and it's a bad one, for reasons that have been clearly explained to you. You don't have the faintest shadow of a shadow of an idea of what this "upgrade" would consist of. Based on information shared by the admins, I'm pretty certain that the whole game would pretty much have to be rewritten to use a separate ID as a nation's identifier rather than the nation's name. There would be days of downtime, at best- more likely months. After all, the admins do have real-life jobs and maintain this game in their free time.

Agreed, if you post you should be open to some form of feedback and be willing to defend your ideas.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat May 30, 2020 1:19 am

Noahs Second Country wrote:
East Blepia wrote:Many notable nations have bad names (take for example 9003 and Noah's second country) and they do not seem to mind.

:unsure:

Roasted.

EDIT: I just saw you already had another thread for this. It was already explained to you by a mod. No name changes. That’s final. Unless your nations name is Assjackistan and you’ve been here since 2003, please don’t ask. If you want to change your name, make a new nation. This thread will probably be locked.

EDIT TWO: Please don’t try and create a nation called Assjackistan or similar either.
Last edited by Honeydewistania on Sat May 30, 2020 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Harmonic Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Harmonic Empire » Sat May 30, 2020 1:24 am

I am sure it will make a lot of people happy if this was implemented in a safe and good way and I hope this can be further doscussed for this idea to be considered and implemented in the future.

viewtopic.php?p=37195471#p37195471
| ♛ | HARMONIKSA RIKKEN | UNTEMAR | ♛ |
Story of Codex Ylvus will be rewritten and new story will be based on the War in Heaven.
Ase's Book - Eros's Book
Please be sure to check Terra Britania's works! | Someone awakaned me from my long stasis. | Up for a challenge? Just contact me.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical