NATION

PASSWORD

WA votes are too long.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Stellonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

WA votes are too long.

Postby Stellonia » Tue May 12, 2020 1:19 pm

At the moment, the General Assembly is voting on a resolution that is losing by 85% to 15%, and it will continue to vote on this resolution. Meanwhile, there are two other proposals awaiting a vote. I think that voting for this resolution should have ended some time ago.

In my opinion, there should be some sort of "mercy rule" which states that if a resolution at vote is winning or losing by a large enough margin after a certain period of time, the vote should end prematurely. What do you guys think about this?

Harmonic Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Harmonic Empire » Tue May 12, 2020 5:38 pm

Stellonia wrote:At the moment, the General Assembly is voting on a resolution that is losing by 85% to 15%, and it will continue to vote on this resolution. Meanwhile, there are two other proposals awaiting a vote. I think that voting for this resolution should have ended some time ago.

In my opinion, there should be some sort of "mercy rule" which states that if a resolution at vote is winning or losing by a large enough margin after a certain period of time, the vote should end prematurely. What do you guys think about this?

There is nothing wrong with 5 days WA voting duration, why do we need another rule?
| ♛ | HARMONIKSA RIKKEN | UNTEMAR | ♛ |
Story of Codex Ylvus will be rewritten and new story will be based on the War in Heaven.
Ase's Book - Eros's Book
Please be sure to check Terra Britania's works! | Someone awakaned me from my long stasis. | Up for a challenge? Just contact me.

Stellonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stellonia » Tue May 12, 2020 7:30 pm

Harmonic Empire wrote:
Stellonia wrote:At the moment, the General Assembly is voting on a resolution that is losing by 85% to 15%, and it will continue to vote on this resolution. Meanwhile, there are two other proposals awaiting a vote. I think that voting for this resolution should have ended some time ago.

There is nothing wrong with 5 days WA voting duration, why do we need another rule?

Some votes are too long. When a vote is going 85-15, there is no need to keep it going any longer.

Saturna1ia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Saturna1ia » Tue May 12, 2020 7:36 pm

Stellonia wrote:
Harmonic Empire wrote:There is nothing wrong with 5 days WA voting duration, why do we need another rule?

Some votes are too long. When a vote is going 85-15, there is no need to keep it going any longer.

There have been instances where votes have completely flipped from For to Against, and vice versa, because the duration of Resolutions at vote allows further inspection and dissection of the Resolutions in question. Simply be patient.
Last edited by Saturna1ia on Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A spacefaring Americana exploring Saturn's satellites, an ancient Roman festival, and a herd of wild capybaras.

Voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 and 2020 Primaries | Biden & Baldwin 2020 | Enjoying the representation of Senator Doug Jones while it lasts
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
- Roy Batty (Blade Runner 1982)

Stellonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Stellonia » Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Saturna1ia wrote:
Stellonia wrote:Some votes are too long. When a vote is going 85-15, there is no need to keep it going any longer.

There have been instances where votes have completely flipped from For to Against, and vice versa, because the duration of Resolutions at vote allows further inspection and dissection of the Resolutions in question. Simply be patient.

Do you know of any such examples?

Saturna1ia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Saturna1ia » Tue May 12, 2020 7:44 pm

Stellonia wrote:
Saturna1ia wrote:There have been instances where votes have completely flipped from For to Against, and vice versa, because the duration of Resolutions at vote allows further inspection and dissection of the Resolutions in question. Simply be patient.

I do not recall the name of the resolution proposal and it did not pass so it's impossible to find, but I can recall at least one occasion in my time here where a resolution author believed his/her own resolution at vote was a quote "travesty" and encouraged all WA members to change their For votes to Against.
Edit: I still can't find the resolution name, but it was about regulating maritime pollutants and was by a user named Radical Republic.
Last edited by Saturna1ia on Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A spacefaring Americana exploring Saturn's satellites, an ancient Roman festival, and a herd of wild capybaras.

Voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 and 2020 Primaries | Biden & Baldwin 2020 | Enjoying the representation of Senator Doug Jones while it lasts
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
- Roy Batty (Blade Runner 1982)

Harmonic Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Harmonic Empire » Tue May 12, 2020 7:57 pm

Stellonia wrote:
Saturna1ia wrote:There have been instances where votes have completely flipped from For to Against, and vice versa, because the duration of Resolutions at vote allows further inspection and dissection of the Resolutions in question. Simply be patient.

I remember one of Morover's GA resolution, majority voted For until he sent TG about wording mistakes and asked us to vote Against.
Last edited by Harmonic Empire on Tue May 12, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| ♛ | HARMONIKSA RIKKEN | UNTEMAR | ♛ |
Story of Codex Ylvus will be rewritten and new story will be based on the War in Heaven.
Ase's Book - Eros's Book
Please be sure to check Terra Britania's works! | Someone awakaned me from my long stasis. | Up for a challenge? Just contact me.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue May 12, 2020 10:08 pm

The GA has survived without any type of mercy rule for the entirety of its existence. It gives authors a fair chance to reverse their fortunes. In addition, there's no great rush to get other proposals to vote.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical