NATION

PASSWORD

[Q]Why are threads locked at 500 pgs? And related questions

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Danubian Peoples
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2018
New York Times Democracy

[Q]Why are threads locked at 500 pgs? And related questions

Postby Danubian Peoples » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:49 am

I'd like to ask the mods about this number. To me it seems a tad arbitrary, but I'm not an NS moderator/technician/admin, so what do I know. Anyway, I've seen archived threads get to 501 I believe, and I may have even seen 502 or 503. If 500 isn't the hard cap, then:

1.Why is 500 the limit?
2.What is the actual thread page limit?
3.Has the thread page limit ever changed?

Putting this up because the PDX thread recently got to its ninth iteration and that got me wondering.
NS stats are not used.
This nation does not reflect my IRL views on anything.
Sorry for any mistakes I make with regards to history while roleplaying in historical RPs. Also I am not a qualified historian or academic. None of the make-believe I do is likely to stand up to academic scrutiny.

Valdez Islands is my puppet.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:01 am

1. Threads used to get to over 1,000 pages, and that caused a severe strain on the server. So this rule was implemented to keep them small enough.

As for the other questions, you'll have to wait for someone with technical knowledge of the forums.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:14 am

2. technically no, practically 500
3. yes, to 500
4. this belongs in technical
Formerly known as Port Blood
Elke and Elba wrote:Well Mall, you want Haven? I'd want your Joint Systems Alliance badge, then.
Discoveria wrote:Port blood is a raider through and through. Honest.
Tim-Opolis wrote:The Salt Mines will be fueled for months by the tears of silly fascists.
Sedgistan wrote:Attempted threadjack on sandwiches and satanism removed.
[4:27 PM] Antigone: Port Blood = Gameplay Jesus
Former foreign Minister of gay
Current community leader in charge of foreign affairs of gay
ex corporal in The Black Hawks

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:27 am

It should be noted that the 500 page limit is somewhat arbitrary, the forums were still suffering from load issues when they first limited threads to 1000 pages, so they just cut that in half to 500 pages.

That's why it doesn't really matter if a fast moving thread gets locked at slightly past 500 pages or (in some cases) slightly under 500. The actual difference between a thread getting locked at, say, 498 pages vs 500 pages vs 504 pages is basically negligible.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Danubian Peoples
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Danubian Peoples » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:47 am

First of all, thank you Blood Wine for getting this thread moved to where it should be. At least, I think you did. Secondly, thanks to all of you for your answers. 1000 page threads, those were probably a mess for the server if they needed to halve the thread cap. Here's to thanking the team behind NS for ensuring a decent and comfortable experience.
NS stats are not used.
This nation does not reflect my IRL views on anything.
Sorry for any mistakes I make with regards to history while roleplaying in historical RPs. Also I am not a qualified historian or academic. None of the make-believe I do is likely to stand up to academic scrutiny.

Valdez Islands is my puppet.

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:56 am

Danubian Peoples wrote:First of all, thank you Blood Wine for getting this thread moved to where it should be. At least, I think you did. Secondly, thanks to all of you for your answers. 1000 page threads, those were probably a mess for the server if they needed to halve the thread cap. Here's to thanking the team behind NS for ensuring a decent and comfortable experience.

As much as I'd like to have moderation powers, I didn't move this thread
Formerly known as Port Blood
Elke and Elba wrote:Well Mall, you want Haven? I'd want your Joint Systems Alliance badge, then.
Discoveria wrote:Port blood is a raider through and through. Honest.
Tim-Opolis wrote:The Salt Mines will be fueled for months by the tears of silly fascists.
Sedgistan wrote:Attempted threadjack on sandwiches and satanism removed.
[4:27 PM] Antigone: Port Blood = Gameplay Jesus
Former foreign Minister of gay
Current community leader in charge of foreign affairs of gay
ex corporal in The Black Hawks

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:58 am

Blood Wine wrote:
Danubian Peoples wrote:First of all, thank you Blood Wine for getting this thread moved to where it should be. At least, I think you did. Secondly, thanks to all of you for your answers. 1000 page threads, those were probably a mess for the server if they needed to halve the thread cap. Here's to thanking the team behind NS for ensuring a decent and comfortable experience.

As much as I'd like to have moderation powers, I didn't move this thread

Maybe you did with telepathy, or mind-controlling a Mod. You will never know what you could do! ;)
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:02 am

Danubian Peoples wrote:I'd like to ask the mods about this number. To me it seems a tad arbitrary, but I'm not an NS moderator/technician/admin, so what do I know. Anyway, I've seen archived threads get to 501 I believe, and I may have even seen 502 or 503. If 500 isn't the hard cap, then:

1.Why is 500 the limit?
2.What is the actual thread page limit?
3.Has the thread page limit ever changed?

Putting this up because the PDX thread recently got to its ninth iteration and that got me wondering.

1. To keep strain on the forum servers to a minimum
2. Technically endless, there are tons of thread made before the limit was put in place that reached 1000-2000 pages
3. Yes, as can be seen by point 2
Last edited by New haven america on Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical