NATION

PASSWORD

How Much Influence Is Needed To Set A Regional Password?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Eastern Tatarstan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 09, 2018
Benevolent Dictatorship

How Much Influence Is Needed To Set A Regional Password?

Postby Eastern Tatarstan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:06 am

Well, I think that the question is pretty clear. What is the exact ammount of influence needed by a regional officer to set a regional password? It always sais "more than 100%" but the exact value is a secret to me.
Аіналакөрүтолькьн диктаттьятть Жьданқршьгьнат Татарштанат
The Considerate dictatorship of Eastern Tatarstan
!Гьльм, түқдаіть я түгаданьшпаньшьн өрьмжахшьрьгьндьр!
Тәнирбєргєн

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:31 am

Eastern Tatarstan wrote:Well, I think that the question is pretty clear. What is the exact ammount of influence needed by a regional officer to set a regional password? It always sais "more than 100%" but the exact value is a secret to me.

It depends, but for you nothing, because you're the founder.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:34 am

As Aclion said, because you're the founder, it's free.

But if another Regional Officer or the WA Delegate decides they want to do it, it's 40 influence per nation for a secret password.
Borovan entered the region as he wrote:Without residents know password it's 40 multiply the nation's in region as long as you have at least around 400 influence
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Eastern Tatarstan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 09, 2018
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Eastern Tatarstan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:37 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:As Aclion said, because you're the founder, it's free.

But if another Regional Officer or the WA Delegate decides they want to do it, it's 40 influence per nation for a secret password.
Borovan entered the region as he wrote:Without residents know password it's 40 multiply the nation's in region as long as you have at least around 400 influence

So for a secret password in a region of 3 nations I would need 520 influence?
Аіналакөрүтолькьн диктаттьятть Жьданқршьгьнат Татарштанат
The Considerate dictatorship of Eastern Tatarstan
!Гьльм, түқдаіть я түгаданьшпаньшьн өрьмжахшьрьгьндьр!
Тәнирбєргєн

The Ambassadors Reception
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ambassadors Reception » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:49 am

Eastern Tatarstan wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:As Aclion said, because you're the founder, it's free.

So for a secret password in a region of 3 nations I would need 520 influence?

No. If there are 1 to 10 nations, a secret password would cost you 400. 11 nations would cost you 440, 12 cost 480 etc.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Not quite. You neet to have a minimum of 400 influence, but passwording a 1-nation region will cost 40 of that influence. It doesn't cost you the entire 400, it just requires you to have the 400 in the first place.

Wolfram and Hart
Secretary

Founded: Jul 06, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfram and Hart » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:41 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:Not quite. You neet to have a minimum of 400 influence, but passwording a 1-nation region will cost 40 of that influence. It doesn't cost you the entire 400, it just requires you to have the 400 in the first place.

Mmn. I'm not convinced. Here's an example of a not-secret password, (which is supposed to cost half a secret password)

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=wol ... ensusid=65

You can see in February 2018 that the influence of this nation drops by 200. This was when I passworded the region with a visible password.

If you click the "all" button on this history chart for the region, you can see that there were fewer than ten nations present at the time.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=regio ... m_and_hart

So the cost in that case was the full 200, and not 20 per nation present. I'd be very surprised if secret passwords functioned differently.

That's consistent with what August found (see section 4 of this dispatch)

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=968137

(Note that August thinks costs are doubled for ROs vs Delegates. I don't think I've ever seen evidence to prove or disprove that. It would be interesting to know for sure)

Edit: I'm curious as to where you got your information from. Was this something you saw first hand?
Last edited by Wolfram and Hart on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:06 am

My information isn't first-hand, it's just something I found 3 pages deep in a google search about how much influence it costs... Happy to be proven wrong by a more complete set of numbers.

It seems to me like the rule of 40 per nation still applied in that scenario, however. On that day, Feb 10, you lost 200 influence to password a region of (at the time) 5 nations. 40 times 5 is 200, so that's consistent. Although, you didn't have 400 influence at the time, so that part of the rule may not apply.

Now, consider. If that's the cost for a secret password (40 per nation), then you can divide that by 2 for a visible password (20 per nation) but multiply it by 2 again, because your nation was an RO at the time, not founder or delegate (for a final total of 40 per nation).

So it looks to me like:
  • Delegate placing Visible Password: 20 per nation
  • RO placing Visible Password: 40 per nation
  • Delegate placing Invisible Password: 40 per nation
  • RO placing Invisible Password: 80 per nation
with a possible unknown minimum level for influence beforehand. This seems to match up with your data as well as August's dispatch and Borovan's original post.

Wolfram and Hart
Secretary

Founded: Jul 06, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfram and Hart » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:49 pm

Makes sense. I take my hat off to your superior logic! I'll try to find another test case to confirm.

August
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby August » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:40 pm

When I wrote that dispatch almost four years ago, I tested the password costs myself. I am certain they were correct at the time, but it does seem now that the costs are not doubled for ROs.

My wording about the cost minimum was unclear. I said it was 400 (implying an invisible password), but more specifically there is a minimum cost of 10 nations, whatever that may be. For example, if a delegate is setting a visible password, the per-nation cost is 20 and the minimum is 200. If a delegate is setting an invisible password, the per-nation cost is 40 and the minimum is 400. If there are anywhere from one to ten nations in the region, the cost is the same.

Fixing SherpDaWerp's table...
Delegate placing a visible password: 20 per nation, min 200
RO placing a visible password: 20 per nation, min 200
Delegate placing an invisible password: 40 per nation, min 400
RO placing an invisible password: 40 per nation, min 400

I will update my dispatch accordingly. Thank you for pointing this out.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

My Projects: AugustinAndroid (Server) | Augustin Alliance (Server) | NS Leaders (Server) | Tech suggestions | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical