NATION

PASSWORD

Where does the spam come from?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Putalon
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Where does the spam come from?

Postby Putalon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:47 am

Okay, so I'm a new player, but some players were spamming our region (The East Pacific) and I was really wondering where do they come from?
I read https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/3588/how-do-spambots-work from this site about spambots, but I was wondering, if the spambots aren't human how do they find some region to spam or even sign up?
Does anyone know? Or it the spam was caused by human beings? (I didn't see the spam though).
I was just curious about it.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:53 am

I'm not a mod or admin, but I know that most spam here is posted by people. Some people get paid to spam ads for offsite services, others just want people to join their new regions on NS, and others just do it for fun.

Putalon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Putalon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:54 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:I'm not a mod or admin, but I know that most spam here is posted by people. Some people get paid to spam ads for offsite services, others just want people to join their new regions on NS, and others just do it for fun.

If I promoted The East Pacific that would be a spam?

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Putalon wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:I'm not a mod or admin, but I know that most spam here is posted by people. Some people get paid to spam ads for offsite services, others just want people to join their new regions on NS, and others just do it for fun.

If I promoted The East Pacific that would be a spam?

I'm not a mod, but the rules on spam can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=260044#017
The part I quoted deals with regional advertisements.
Regional Advertising Spam: The only places where you are allowed to put region advertisements are: The Gameplay Forum (they will be deleted if posted elsewhere) and the regional message boards of the game-created regions (The Pacific, The North Pacific, The East Pacific, The South Pacific, The West Pacific, Lazarus, Osiris, Balder, The Rejected Realms and the Official Warzones). Note that it is not legal to advertise in copycat regions such as "West Pacific". One ad per 24-hour period or per 10 posted messages, whichever is longer.

RMB Ads are allowed in player-created regions if and only if the region has a "Recruiter Friendly" tag.

Recruitment telegrams must be labelled appropriately.

It depends on where you post such a regional ad, and how much time elapsed in that region before you post another one.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Putalon wrote:If I promoted The East Pacific that would be a spam?

Nobody likes RMB recruit spam. It's legal to post it as described above, but you have a 0.0001% chance of getting any recruits, a 100% chance that the ROs will suppress your messages, and about a 50% chance that you'll misread the rules and end up with a mod warning. So don't do it.

Putalon wrote:Or it the spam was caused by human beings?

It's a disgruntled former player who somehow thinks spamming makes life difficult for everyone else. He's apparently to stupid to realize that players quickly learn to ignore him and it takes us about two clicks to be rid of his spam and his nation.

By posting this topic, you give him the attention he seeks. Just ignore the fool.

Putalon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Putalon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:33 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Putalon wrote:If I promoted The East Pacific that would be a spam?

I'm not a mod, but the rules on spam can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=260044#017
The part I quoted deals with regional advertisements.
Regional Advertising Spam: The only places where you are allowed to put region advertisements are: The Gameplay Forum (they will be deleted if posted elsewhere) and the regional message boards of the game-created regions (The Pacific, The North Pacific, The East Pacific, The South Pacific, The West Pacific, Lazarus, Osiris, Balder, The Rejected Realms and the Official Warzones). Note that it is not legal to advertise in copycat regions such as "West Pacific". One ad per 24-hour period or per 10 posted messages, whichever is longer.

RMB Ads are allowed in player-created regions if and only if the region has a "Recruiter Friendly" tag.

Recruitment telegrams must be labelled appropriately.

It depends on where you post such a regional ad, and how much time elapsed in that region before you post another one.

Thank you for replying. Very nice and detailed reply.

Return to Technical