NATION

PASSWORD

Will there be an Off-Season for NS Card Game?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Americastrailia
Secretary

Founded: Aug 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Americastrailia » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:44 am

9003 wrote:
Americastrailia wrote:I think the cards need some changes before season 2:

First, tying the cards to issues implies it is meant for the players who do issues, and thus it needs to be accessible and move slow. Currently it doesn't. It still plays like an April 1st event, and that needs to change. I think this could be half fixed either by extending auctions to 24 hours out, or ending all auctions around the same time(s) each day (such as right before update).

All auctions ending at update would allow players to do bank transfers last secound with no risk involved and 24 hour auctions would food the market to the point that our only search function is worthless.

True. There are other ways to address the accessibility issue.

I do agree with your point on card vaule under legendary is spotty at best but I think we are at a point that most cards sell for more than junk (all epics go for atleast .55) and anything lower if they have made a name for themself sell for more than junk. Also setting the junk vaule to .01 on all cards would make it next to impossible for new players to get in the market considering that one ultra rare card is worth 20 commons.

I was actually thinking of using this to help new players get into the market for Season 2. There's no reason we can't do 0.10, or even 1.00 bank per card. I do imagine the deck expansion cost would have to inflate proportionally, but that would actually help new players.

A search function other than my offline list would make cards much nicer too the dbid in the boneyard update helped massively but a full on search function would be much appreciated. And potentially rather than an off season a season 2 spoiler like release a few details or random cards rarity (probably for the mods or whoever) because they are the least likely to CTE :P. And give us a count down to the start so that we can update our flags and customise the cards a bit before they get created

That would be nice.

Waterford Crystal
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Waterford Crystal » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:28 am

9003 wrote:

First, tying the cards to issues implies it is meant for the players who do issues, and thus it needs to be accessible and move slow. Currently it doesn't. It still plays like an April 1st event, and that needs to change. I think this could be half fixed either by extending auctions to 24 hours out, or ending all auctions around the same time(s) each day (such as right before update).

A search function other than my offline list would make cards much nicer too the dbid in the boneyard update helped massively but a full on search function would be much appreciated. And potentially rather than an off season a season 2 spoiler like release a few details or random cards rarity (probably for the mods or whoever) because they are the least likely to CTE :P. And give us a count down to the start so that we can update our flags and customise the cards a bit before they get created

The bank holiday can serve as a break separating the future seasons. A "season 2 spoiler like release" could occur during an off-season that can be managed like a bank holiday. In this scenario all players banks would be frozen for a designated time. Only bartering (gifting cards) between nations would be allowed and cards could not be junked. Changes to the game for season 2 could be implemented and posted clearly in the bank holiday/off-season so everyone has a fair chance to comprehend them by the day the bank holiday is lifted and season 2 begins.

Implementation of some form of an off-season is actually necessary in the correct use of the word "season."

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:16 am

It does move slow unless you are artificially speeding things up by using puppets to farm more cards, or obsessively trading around the clock. This is the same as the issues game, where you can use puppets to get more issues or try different ways of answering them.

Second, I feel like the current implementation of rarity imposes an artificial value on cards that interferes with the organic value players may place on a card. For one, it often imposes a minimum value of exchange far above a card's market value, and therefore everyone junks it for cash instead of selling it to someone who wants it for its real value. As a result, it creates this weird, backwards economy where there are 100+ copies of Legendary cards and very few copies of Common cards, and people are collecting cards more for the label than their interest, notoriety, or other meaningful reason. I have an idea how I would modify rarity, but I'll explain it below*.

Firmly against this.

If the problem is cards being junked because their junk value was inflated above their real value, it would be the cards with HIGH rarities getting junked. Instead, it's mostly commons being junked, even though junk value is low.

Third, the way the cards system is set up places an enormous amount of focus on just trying to have the most valuable deck, and not a whole lot on creating interesting collections. Admittedly, the market value of the individual cards in a collection will always be a thing, but I feel like making that the only measurable focus has limited what the cards could be. I would personally suggest adding a page specifically to showcase, categorize, and rank player collections. This would work like dispatches - players could look at collections and upvote them, and more upvoted collections would show up near the top. And perhaps you could limit the scope of the collections page to just your region, or just your region and regions it has embassies with.

If you're focusing on deck value, that's your choice. Nobody is forcing you to focus on that.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Diplomat

Founded: Oct 25, 2012
Corporate Police State

Postby 9003 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:50 am

It would be nice to have a collection feature so the leader board isn't just dv becuse anytime there is a leaderboard players want to climb it. Collections treated like dispatches with up voting and down voting would be Uber duper cool
proud member of PETZ people for the Ethical Treatment of Zombies

Active member of The cards market place discord

Waterford Crystal
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Waterford Crystal » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:20 pm

9003 wrote:It would be nice to have a collection feature so the leader board isn't just dv becuse anytime there is a leaderboard players want to climb it. Collections treated like dispatches with up voting and down voting would be Uber duper cool

We have other threads for this segment of the NS card discussion. Do you have more to post on the proposition of an NS Card Game off-season?

Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby 9003 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:52 am

Waterford Crystal wrote:
9003 wrote:It would be nice to have a collection feature so the leader board isn't just dv becuse anytime there is a leaderboard players want to climb it. Collections treated like dispatches with up voting and down voting would be Uber duper cool

We have other threads for this segment of the NS card discussion. Do you have more to post on the proposition of an NS Card Game off-season?

I meant that in response to the post above it talking about you choose the right way to play. By giving us a leaderbord it is kinda like saying that is that right way to play

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:15 am

9003 wrote:
Waterford Crystal wrote:

I meant that in response to the post above it talking about you choose the right way to play. By giving us a leaderbord it is kinda like saying that is that right way to play

There's a leaderboard for literally every single national stat that is visible to players. Civil Rights, Economy, Political Freedom, Corruption, Average Income, etc. There are leaderboards for Religiousness and Secularism, Intelligence and Ignorance, Rudeness and Niceness, etc. Are they all saying that "Maximizing this stat is the right way to play"? Of course not. A leaderboard just tracks who's the best at something- it doesn't pressure you to climb it. You can't climb all the leaderboards on NS anyway.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby 9003 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:19 am

Phydios wrote:
9003 wrote:

There's a leaderboard for literally every single national stat that is visible to players. Civil Rights, Economy, Political Freedom, Corruption, Average Income, etc. There are leaderboards for Religiousness and Secularism, Intelligence and Ignorance, Rudeness and Niceness, etc. Are they all saying that "Maximizing this stat is the right way to play"? Of course not. A leaderboard just tracks who's the best at something- it doesn't pressure you to climb it. You can't climb all the leaderboards on NS anyway.

I agree it does however give you the choice of things to climb in cards the only leaderboards you can climb are deck vaule and card vaule if you inflate your own cards vaule.

Americastrailia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Americastrailia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:20 am

USS Monitor wrote:If the problem is cards being junked because their junk value was inflated above their real value, it would be the cards with HIGH rarities getting junked. Instead, it's mostly commons being junked, even though junk value is low.

If you are only counting Legendaries as cards with high rarities, sure. But this is exactly the problem with many Epics. They are great to hold on to precisely because they are inflated above their real value and are a space-efficient way to increase your deck value. You lose very little holding on to them in case they appreciate, and if you need quick money you can junk them 50x faster than 50 commons.

And the reason people junk commons has more to do with deck capacity than anything else. In particular, card farmers could amass bank quicker if they could just ignore commons, and neither junk them nor check their value. And this is exactly what the smart ones did when deck capacity didn't matter.

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:03 pm

Right now nations with 3 Billion in population don't have their own flipping card in this game. They got 3 banners, capital cities, descriptions, religions but no mofo card to collect. What gives with that?

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice wrote:Right now nations with 3 Billion in population don't have their own flipping card in this game. They got 3 banners, capital cities, descriptions, religions but no mofo card to collect. What gives with that?

Likely they were created after the initial card game.

Tessen
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 21, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tessen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:00 am

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice wrote:Right now nations with 3 Billion in population don't have their own flipping card in this game. They got 3 banners, capital cities, descriptions, religions but no mofo card to collect. What gives with that?

Nations that don't have cards are already up to 3 billion in population? :o

Director of the American Union and American Independent States roleplay regions.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:58 am

Tessen wrote:

They may not have been around for cards. If you were CTEd when the initial card snapshot was taken in late March 2018, you won't have a card regardless of population.

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Second, I feel like the current implementation of rarity imposes an artificial value on cards that interferes with the organic value players may place on a card. For one, it often imposes a minimum value of exchange far above a card's market value, and therefore everyone junks it for cash instead of selling it to someone who wants it for its real value. As a result, it creates this weird, backwards economy where there are 100+ copies of Legendary cards and very few copies of Common cards, and people are collecting cards more for the label than their interest, notoriety, or other meaningful reason. I have an idea how I would modify rarity, but I'll explain it below*.

Third, the way the cards system is set up places an enormous amount of focus on just trying to have the most valuable deck, and not a whole lot on creating interesting collections. Admittedly, the market value of the individual cards in a collection will always be a thing, but I feel like making that the only measurable focus has limited what the cards could be. I would personally suggest adding a page specifically to showcase, categorize, and rank player collections. This would work like dispatches - players could look at collections and upvote them, and more upvoted collections would show up near the top. And perhaps you could limit the scope of the collections page to just your region, or just your region and regions it has embassies with.

I would love to see these items addressed by when Season 2 rolls around. Here are some ideas to start out with.

* I think a better interpretation of card rarity is that there are overall fewer of those individual cards that can be found, or that they are more scarce. We aren't working with a fixed quantity here, so this would manifest itself in the probabilities. The junk value of all cards should also be normalized, so no matter the rarity of the card, the bank won from junking it is always the same. It doesn't matter a whole lot what the exchange from cards to bank is, the point is to eliminate the artificial disparity in value so that the market value can run its course. Players will certainly always be searching for legendary cards, but there is no good reason for an incentive to exist for players to junk a card that would have still sold for more than most other cards.

I honestly don't agree with most of your points but reading them did make me ponder and ask the question - "Is there a reason we can't have a badge for deck-value?" We already have the leader-board, so why not tie that into the badge system as well? I know I'd appreciate that and it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to code in. And while I know you have the "deck-value" chasers, most of the people I know have their own custom weirdo collections. I make a point to collect all the notable cards from my region, along with a few others for sentimental reason. I've seen some really creative collections already and I appreciate that!!
Last edited by Land Without Shrimp on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Americastrailia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Americastrailia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:49 pm

Land Without Shrimp wrote:I honestly don't agree with most of your points but reading them did make me ponder and ask the question - "Is there a reason we can't have a badge for deck-value?" We already have the leader-board, so why not tie that into the badge system as well? I know I'd appreciate that and it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to code in. And while I know you have the "deck-value" chasers, most of the people I know have their own custom weirdo collections. I make a point to collect all the notable cards from my region, along with a few others for sentimental reason. I've seen some really creative collections already and I appreciate that!!

Yeah, it would be nice to add a badge for that!

I would really like a page to list favorite collections because as of now it is kind of difficult to see any of them - especially for newer players.

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:15 pm

Americastrailia wrote:
Land Without Shrimp wrote:I honestly don't agree with most of your points but reading them did make me ponder and ask the question - "Is there a reason we can't have a badge for deck-value?" We already have the leader-board, so why not tie that into the badge system as well? I know I'd appreciate that and it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to code in. And while I know you have the "deck-value" chasers, most of the people I know have their own custom weirdo collections. I make a point to collect all the notable cards from my region, along with a few others for sentimental reason. I've seen some really creative collections already and I appreciate that!!

Yeah, it would be nice to add a badge for that!

I would really like a page to list favorite collections because as of now it is kind of difficult to see any of them - especially for newer players.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I just visit all my friends' pages individually and enjoy perusing through their collections, but it's not especially user-friendly.

Maybe the Dispatch up-vote idea is a good one, after all. Another thing that shouldn't be that hard to code. Maybe update the "Collection" page a bit to let the owner write a brief blurb about their collection as well? Add an up-vote system to that page, a leader-board connected with that. And...another badge. ;)

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:09 pm

Tessen wrote:

If they haven't CTEd in the interim, right. Long long wait.
I figure when they end Season 1 a newish nation could get it's own card as they grow in population. Put it somewhere in that ladder of acquired stuff in settings. Maybe 100 million population.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:18 am

Land Without Shrimp wrote:

I would love to see these items addressed by when Season 2 rolls around. Here are some ideas to start out with.

* I think a better interpretation of card rarity is that there are overall fewer of those individual cards that can be found, or that they are more scarce. We aren't working with a fixed quantity here, so this would manifest itself in the probabilities. The junk value of all cards should also be normalized, so no matter the rarity of the card, the bank won from junking it is always the same. It doesn't matter a whole lot what the exchange from cards to bank is, the point is to eliminate the artificial disparity in value so that the market value can run its course. Players will certainly always be searching for legendary cards, but there is no good reason for an incentive to exist for players to junk a card that would have still sold for more than most other cards.

I honestly don't agree with most of your points but reading them did make me ponder and ask the question - "Is there a reason we can't have a badge for deck-value?" We already have the leader-board, so why not tie that into the badge system as well? I know I'd appreciate that and it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to code in. And while I know you have the "deck-value" chasers, most of the people I know have their own custom weirdo collections. I make a point to collect all the notable cards from my region, along with a few others for sentimental reason. I've seen some really creative collections already and I appreciate that!!

I'm not particularly in favour of deck value. It's too hyped towards certain cards. Now, junk value or just a count of cards I can agree with.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Aurora Islands
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Aurora Islands » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:41 am

1. Can you fix so the player can at least CHECK the cards they get before they are forced to junk cards? Seriously. This happen to me often that I've 96 of 100. But I've only four empty spots so I can't open another card pack unless I junk a card! That's both stupid and annoying...

2. Add a notification button how many unopen card packs the player have just like what the game has for unread issues and unread telegrams! I often forgot to check the trading cards section so sometimes I can have several unpacked card packs waiting to be open...

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Aurora Islands wrote:1. Can you fix so the player can at least CHECK the cards they get before they are forced to junk cards? Seriously. This happen to me often that I've 96 of 100. But I've only four empty spots so I can't open another card pack unless I junk a card! That's both stupid and annoying...

2. Add a notification button how many unopen card packs the player have just like what the game has for unread issues and unread telegrams! I often forgot to check the trading cards section so sometimes I can have several unpacked card packs waiting to be open...

You can always buy more space using bank.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical