NATION

PASSWORD

Flag resize issue

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Oceanic Vakiadia
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Flag resize issue

Postby Oceanic Vakiadia » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi. My nation was recently deleted for inactivity, so I have had to reupload my flag. This is the image I am using. The upload page says:

Your flag will usually be resized to fit within 321x213 pixels. Both height and width must fit, so if, for example, your flag is perfectly square, it will be resized to 213x213. This process also converts animated GIFs into static images.

Exceptions: You can have a bigger flag than usual if its filesize is small enough: If it's under 50kB and the image fits within either 428x284 pixels or 107x426 pixels, it won't be resized.

The flag is under 50kb and within 428x284 pixels, yet it is getting compressed. Is there anything I can do about this?
Playing NationStates since December 29, 2007.

Savaaria
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Savaaria » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:23 pm

Looking at it, it doesn't seem like it is getting compressed.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Huh. It actually seems to be getting uncompressed. The flag on the game server has a larger file size than the one you uploaded, even though both are under 50 kB.

I'm guessing that the server mistakenly assumes all GIF files are animated and therefore applies the stricter rules for animated flags to them, even though this particular image is an unanimated GIF. I would suggest converting it to PNG (another non-lossy format) and trying again. PNG is capable of both 8-bit indexed color (like GIF) and 24-bit truecolor, and should produce similar or smaller filesizes to GIF if using the former.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Trotterdam is right about the file formats.

Here is an 8-bit .png version in case you don't have a conversion option.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Oceanic Vakiadia
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Oceanic Vakiadia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:Trotterdam is right about the file formats.

Here is an 8-bit .png version in case you don't have a conversion option.

Thank you kindly, worked like a charm.
Playing NationStates since December 29, 2007.

Return to Technical