NATION

PASSWORD

Idea: selecting an issue once a year

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Otaku Stratus
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Idea: selecting an issue once a year

Postby Otaku Stratus » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:40 pm

Ever since I somehow accidentally repealed obligatory nudity, I've been waiting for one of the two or three potential issues to cycle back through, to no avail*. I feel like we're getting a disproportionate amount of the issues past 1000 lately, and while that's MOSTLY a good idea since logically those will be the ones people have seen the least, it's annoying when you just want to re-answer a classic to fix a mistake. I mean it's been a couple years now I think, but 5 issues a day with over 1000 is not great odds.

I suggest once a year on your nation's founding date (I guess I'd be SOL there since mine was founded in antiquity, but maybe that could be a setting alongside delegate, official religion, etc) you should get to pick one issue (that you've answered before, not sure if that's kept track of anywhere (and that's compatible with your current nation obviously, I know some choices lock you out of some)) and add it to your 5 dailies. Does that sparkle with everyone?

*In fact, one of them, I've never seen, in all my years here. I wonder if I just don't qualify to receive it. I want to say it had something to do with office buildings and getting enough sunlight? I've read about it but never gotten it.
Last edited by Otaku Stratus on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otaku Stratus
Spokesperson

New York Times Democracy

Postby Otaku Stratus » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:35 pm

Two years later, still haven't gotten any compulsory nudity issues. I think it's been over 5 years now, Is it possible there's something on my account disabling them?

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm

Against this.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Stellata
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Stellata » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:55 pm

This would just allow stat grinders to choose the best possible issue once a year and effortlessly boost whatever they are trying to maximize. If you aren’t qualified to receive certain issues, start trying to change things that may make you more likely to receive it. Not sure what the deciding factors are for you to receive a specific issue however, so you’re on your own in that regard.

I feel that getting to choose one issue per year is unnecessary. I kind of like the grindy nature of stat tuning.
Last edited by Stellata on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 pm

Stellata wrote:This would just allow stat grinders to choose the best possible issue once a year and effortlessly boost whatever they are trying to maximize.

This isn't necessarily true. I've been stat-grinding my Defense Forces for a while on two different nations and I can never seem to go over 50k without something invisible kneecapping me. And I've picked all of the obvious choices on military issues and get either a tiny percentage increase or nothing at all. Back in the day there was a few issues you could have definitely abused this to boost certain stats, but the admins have fixed the balancing issues there.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:00 am

This seems like a lot of unnecessary work for Editors, who now have to consider stat changes for nations that would be otherwise ineligible for an issue
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:25 am

This would break a lot of things, especially narrative coherence from issue to issue.
Otaku Stratus wrote:Two years later, still haven't gotten any compulsory nudity issues. I think it's been over 5 years now, Is it possible there's something on my account disabling them?

Definitely possible. Do note that I didn't look up your stats or anything so don't treat this as an affirmative answer.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Otaku Stratus
Spokesperson

New York Times Democracy

Postby Otaku Stratus » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:14 am

Noahs Second Country wrote:This would break a lot of things, especially narrative coherence from issue to issue.
Otaku Stratus wrote:Two years later, still haven't gotten any compulsory nudity issues. I think it's been over 5 years now, Is it possible there's something on my account disabling them?

Definitely possible. Do note that I didn't look up your stats or anything so don't treat this as an affirmative answer.

Is anyone aware of any conditions that prevent you getting issue #8 (or #823, which I have NEVER seen) ?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:21 am

I like this idea, if it also showed which issues were eligible?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Auravel
Civilian

Founded: Jan 06, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Auravel » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:56 pm

Otaku Stratus wrote:
Noahs Second Country wrote:This would break a lot of things, especially narrative coherence from issue to issue.

Is anyone aware of any conditions that prevent you getting issue #8 (or #823, which I have NEVER seen) ?

I don't know for sure, but I also haven't seen a compulsory nudity issue for years, and Auravel's Nudity stat has bounced around weirdly a few times between 800ish and 900ish even on unrelated issues. Possibly has something to do with a decision on issue #823 (which I also haven't seen in years.) Anyway, if there's some way to fix this, I'd love to know.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:06 pm

Otaku Stratus wrote:

You don't qualify for either of those.

It's an odd situation, your nation. Let me get back to you.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:19 pm

So there were about a dozen issue choices in the game that weren't coded correctly to account for nations that strongly encourage nudity but not mandate it. This could lead to the opposite effect of what you would imagine the issue text suggests. I have corrected those.

Keep in mind, this is a very niche nation condition that almost no issues address. There's an extremely limited amount of ways to push yourself either back to compulsory nudity or full freedom to be nude without actively encouraging it in some fashion.

If you have any ideas for issues that could tackle that dilemma, feel free to post a draft in Got Issues or the idea in the Writers' Block.

Otaku Stratus
Spokesperson

New York Times Democracy

Postby Otaku Stratus » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:16 am

Luna Amore wrote:It's an odd situation, your nation.

That feels about right, heh.

Luna Amore wrote:So there were about a dozen issue choices in the game that weren't coded correctly to account for nations that strongly encourage nudity but not mandate it. This could lead to the opposite effect of what you would imagine the issue text suggests. I have corrected those.

THANK YOU. I've been waiting YEARS for someone to address and fix this.

Keep in mind, this is a very niche nation condition that almost no issues address. There's an extremely limited amount of ways to push yourself either back to compulsory nudity or full freedom to be nude without actively encouraging it in some fashion.

I imagine I'll just have to wait for one of those issues to come up again, the ones that did it consistently in the past.

If you have any ideas for issues that could tackle that dilemma, feel free to post a draft in Got Issues or the idea in the Writers' Block.

I may just! It's always a fun topic.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical