NATION

PASSWORD

Dark Theme Pet Peeves.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Dark Theme Pet Peeves.

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:53 am

Hello to the Admins of NS! ^^

So far, I am liking the dark theme for sparing my eyes of the brightness of the light theme, that's all good! However, I have a few pet peeves when it comes to the theme, specifically from gameside,

- The banners are a little darker in terms of brightness... While I understand that this might be to be in-line with the dark theme, I would like it if the banners retain the original brightness instead of being modified.

- The texts for NS Stats (such as here: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=val ... ensusid=68) are absolutely horrid, no offense. The texts are too dark, and I find myself highlighting them every time I want to read them.

Thank you or your time, and I hope you will read through my feedback! ^^
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Toerana
Envoy

Founded: Nov 27, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Toerana » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:57 am

This is something that, imo, would be very useful and aesthetically pleasing to have, as someone who hates light themes.

Nullarni
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:53 pm

Hmmm... Personally, I haven't had any issues with the dark theme, but I am not sure if that's just because I am used to what you are seeing or perhaps your web browser is displaying things differently from mine. It may be helpful to post screenshots for comparison so we can see exactly what you are talking about.
Proud founder of the NEW WARSAW PACT. Visitors welcome.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Nullarni wrote:Hmmm... Personally, I haven't had any issues with the dark theme, but I am not sure if that's just because I am used to what you are seeing or perhaps your web browser is displaying things differently from mine. It may be helpful to post screenshots for comparison so we can see exactly what you are talking about.

Ahh, right, sorry! Here's what I am talking about!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/469 ... 0cfd_o.png
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/476 ... 4482_o.png
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Nullarni
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Oh, I see what you mean. I think I just got used to how the interface looked. I can read the text just fine, but you are right. It could use more contrast.

As for the banners, (and as it turns out the flags too,) after a quick history check, it looks like that is done intentionally. I think the brightness of the banners and flags were a bit too much when in comparison to the dark background. I have no preference one way or the other, but it was done on purpose.

Northrop-Grumman designed the theme. I am not sure if he keeps close tabs on the tech forum, here. I would wait for a day or two for him to notice this thread.
Proud founder of the NEW WARSAW PACT. Visitors welcome.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Nullarni wrote:Oh, I see what you mean. I think I just got used to how the interface looked. I can read the text just fine, but you are right. It could use more contrast.

As for the banners, (and as it turns out the flags too,) after a quick history check, it looks like that is done intentionally. I think the brightness of the banners and flags were a bit too much when in comparison to the dark background. I have no preference one way or the other, but it was done on purpose.

Northrop-Grumman designed the theme. I am not sure if he keeps close tabs on the tech forum, here. I would wait for a day or two for him to notice this thread.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info and all! ^^

Oooh, him! I am more or less fine with him, of course! And one day I put all my long name leaders into his thread and he wondered why I have such long names. :P
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

N7eternia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby N7eternia » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Hello to the Admins of NS! ^^

So far, I am liking the dark theme for sparing my eyes of the brightness of the light theme, that's all good! However, I have a few pet peeves when it comes to the theme, specifically from gameside,

- The banners are a little darker in terms of brightness... While I understand that this might be to be in-line with the dark theme, I would like it if the banners retain the original brightness instead of being modified.

- The texts for NS Stats (such as here: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=val ... ensusid=68) are absolutely horrid, no offense. The texts are too dark, and I find myself highlighting them every time I want to read them.

Thank you or your time, and I hope you will read through my feedback! ^^

I agree.

When I cycled through the themes, each of them made unnecessary changes like

1. boxes around buttons
  2. changing the default shape of boxes
  3. changing the fonts
  4. an overall darkening effect
  5. switching positions of buttons

But I joined when Rift was and is the current default theme. It's the most consistent across the board especially in terms of readability to me.

I made an incomplete small mockup which represents our small wishes for the current Dark theme

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:55 am

Howdy!

1) Yeah, Nullarni is spot on. The banners have a filter on them to slightly take away the brightness, because some of them were terribly bright and blinding compared to the rest of the page. The goal was to make it just enough so that it wouldn’t be distracting, but not enough to lose the color and detail of the banners.

2) I see what you’re saying with the statistics text. Thank you for pointing that out; it’ll get fixed within the next couple of weeks (EDIT: It shouldn't be that complicated, but I want to make sure anything else that pops up gets taken care of, too.). I’ll admit I don’t use certain functions of the site as much as others, so it’s great to get feedback on areas like that.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:04 am

Northrop-Grumman wrote:Howdy!

1) Yeah, Nullarni is spot on. The banners have a filter on them to slightly take away the brightness, because some of them were terribly bright and blinding compared to the rest of the page. The goal was to make it just enough so that it wouldn’t be distracting, but not enough to lose the color and detail of the banners.

2) I see what you’re saying with the statistics text. Thank you for pointing that out; it’ll get fixed within the next couple of weeks (EDIT: It shouldn't be that complicated, but I want to make sure anything else that pops up gets taken care of, too.). I’ll admit I don’t use certain functions of the site as much as others, so it’s great to get feedback on areas like that.

Ahh, I see.. if No. 1 is by design, I understand, don't worry. Though... I wonder if the admins can code it to make the darkening optional, though of course, this will make it time-consuming for them. Still, no problem!

For No. 2, thank you very much, and hey, no rush! Just want to say that thank you for taking the time to respond to me, and your great work at Dark Theme has been a savior for me.

Have a great day! :D
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sat May 04, 2019 4:37 am

Here's an update of where I'm at with this. Link: https://i.imgur.com/WXvjLFP.png

There's a little bit of weirdness dealing with large population numbers, where the numerals run up against the edges of the box, but I'm still working on it.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat May 04, 2019 4:44 am

Northrop-Grumman wrote:Here's an update of where I'm at with this. Link: https://i.imgur.com/WXvjLFP.png

There's a little bit of weirdness dealing with large population numbers, where the numerals run up against the edges of the box, but I'm still working on it.

Oooh, looks promising! Thanks for the efforts so far! ^^

Oh yeah, it's not just the population numbers, I imagine. Economic Output and Black Markets also have very huge numbers, and Residency has a lot of decimal places.

----

Another thing I forgot to put in the screenshot is that the dark unreadable fonts are also affecting the graphs too, and perhaps some of the black trendlines (World or Regional average). But still, I'm liking it! :D
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sat May 04, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue May 21, 2019 9:55 pm

Just a bump that I see that the changes have been made live? The new text and charts are much better now, so thank you very much for taking my feedback into consideration and improving on it! ^^
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri May 24, 2019 3:45 am

Valentine Z wrote:Just a bump that I see that the changes have been made live? The new text and charts are much better now, so thank you very much for taking my feedback into consideration and improving on it! ^^
You're welcome!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical