NATION

PASSWORD

Bugs with lists and boxes

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Bugs with lists and boxes

Postby Aclion » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:29 pm

I've noticed that when you have a box to the left of a list the bullets(or numbers) don't wrap around the box the way text does, but instead gets overlayed over the box and it's content(except images for some reason)

Case in point
Code: Select all
[size=200]Government[/size]
[floatleft][box][img]https://i.imgur.com/nXWVkdx.jpg?2[/img]
The Capital building, in Basitat[/box][/floatleft]
Aclion is a constitutional republic divided into three branches;
[list][*]The executive branch: Headed by the president who is responsible for appointing cabinet members, federal justices and has the power to veto legislation. The president is chosen through an instant runoff election and also serves as the commander in chief
[*]The legislative branch: Divided into two houses; [list][*]The lower house, is where legislation originates. Its 220 seats are distributed proportionately according to party list.
[*]The upper house, responsible for reviewing legislation passed in the lower house, confirming presidential appointments and ratifying treaties. Its seats are distributed among the districts according to population and are filled by local instant runoff elections.
[/list][*]the judicial branch, responsible for reviewing legislation and hearing appeals from lower courts. Appointed by the president and confirmed presidential appointments[/list]
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:47 am

I think that's a problem with the float tags. Shifting the box to a {floatright} tag resolves the list indent problem.
Original post
Government
The Capital building, in Basitat

• The executive branch: Headed by the president who is responsible for appointing cabinet members, federal justices and has the power to veto legislation. The president is chosen through an instant runoff election and also serves as the commander in chief
  • The legislative branch: Divided into two houses;
    • The lower house, is where legislation originates. Its 220 seats are distributed proportionately according to party list.
    • The upper house, responsible for reviewing legislation passed in the lower house, confirming presidential appointments and ratifying treaties. Its seats are distributed among the districts according to population and are filled by local instant runoff elections.
  • the judicial branch, responsible for reviewing legislation and hearing appeals from lower courts. Appointed by the president and confirmed presidential appointments

Revised post
Government
The Capital building, in Basitat

• The executive branch: Headed by the president who is responsible for appointing cabinet members, federal justices and has the power to veto legislation. The president is chosen through an instant runoff election and also serves as the commander in chief
  • The legislative branch: Divided into two houses;
    • The lower house, is where legislation originates. Its 220 seats are distributed proportionately according to party list.
    • The upper house, responsible for reviewing legislation passed in the lower house, confirming presidential appointments and ratifying treaties. Its seats are distributed among the districts according to population and are filled by local instant runoff elections.
  • the judicial branch, responsible for reviewing legislation and hearing appeals from lower courts. Appointed by the president and confirmed presidential appointments

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:I think that's a problem with the float tags. Shifting the box to a {floatright} tag resolves the list indent problem.

It solves it since the list no longer needs to wrap around the box, but doesn't solve the issue of the list not recognizing a box as something that needs to be wrapped around. It doesn't solve my specific problem either, as i already have a sidebar on the right.
Last edited by Aclion on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:18 am

Aclion wrote:but doesn't solve the issue of the list not recognizing a box as something that needs to be wrapped around

It's not going to be solved then. We don't write the BBcode for the forums. We're using whatever phpBB included in their out-fo-the-box formatting, and we're using an out of date version (for reasons) that can't / won't be updated. The workaround is the best we can offer.

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:13 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Aclion wrote:but doesn't solve the issue of the list not recognizing a box as something that needs to be wrapped around

It's not going to be solved then. We don't write the BBcode for the forums. We're using whatever phpBB included in their out-fo-the-box formatting, and we're using an out of date version (for reasons) that can't / won't be updated. The workaround is the best we can offer.

This is for a factbook though...

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:48 am

Aclion wrote:This is for a factbook though...

First time you've mentioned that.

I did all my checking on the forums, and the problem was the same. I think it's a fundamental issue with the underlying BBCode for float tags. That's not something we necessarily have time or interest in debugging. Given that this is the first such complaint I've seen in the last decade or so, I'm not seeing it as something [violet] needs to spend time working on, as her To-Do list is quite lengthy. My advice is that you accept the workaround and move on.

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:05 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Aclion wrote:This is for a factbook though...

First time you've mentioned that.

It's linked in the OP[/quote]

Frisbeeteria wrote:Given that this is the first such complaint I've seen in the last decade or so, I'm not seeing it as something [violet] needs to spend time working on

I don't think that's a fair assessment. Given that is is a problem that manifests in Ponderosa's wiki format factbooks I think it's fair more likely that people run into the problem regularly, but avoid report it because of what that involves.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical