NATION

PASSWORD

Wealth Gaps, Income of the Rich, Income of the Poor mechanic

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
User avatar
Greater Hunnia
Envoy
 
Posts: 316
Founded: Sep 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Wealth Gaps, Income of the Rich, Income of the Poor mechanic

Postby Greater Hunnia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:27 pm

I've been playing this game for quite a while now but I don't remember ever seeing an issue that raised Wealth Gaps without affecting both Income of the Poor and Income of the Rich at the same time ie: the wealth gap is made larger by making the poor poorer and the rich richer. Why is that so? Wealth gap IRL can increase if the poor don't get any poorer but the rich get richer. In fact, it can increase if both get richer, just not at the same rate.
Image


There are a great number of issues in Nationstates that lower the income of the poor for no good reason, practically any issue resolution that allows private enterprise to flourish. Many of them make sense neither from a realistic standpoint nor if we apply common sense. Of course, there are also cases when the poor becoming poorer is entirely justified, for example instituting flat tax rates, or lowering the minimum wage, or abolishing it entirely, but the point is that maybe it would be about time to revise the mechanic that handles wealth gaps and incomes.

I speculate that RN, the issues affect Wealth gaps and incomes are calculated after as a secondary effect, if that's right, it should be turned around, issues should affect incomes and the wealth gap should be calculated based on them.
Last edited by Greater Hunnia on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This nation DOES use NS statistics, but the interpretation for some of them might be a bit skewed.

My political orientation:
Pro: nationalism, traditionalism, Christianity, constitutional monarchy, traditional gender roles, eugenics (to some degree, done humanely), the right to bear arms, compulsory military service, pro-life.

Against: any and all forms of marxism and communism, feminism, the promotion of homosexuality and hedonistic lifestyles, consumerism, globalism, "multiculturalism", "diversity", mass immigration, political correctness, pseudo-democracy, religious extremism.

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 441
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Because neoliberal economics doesn't work in real life and so money doesn't appear out of nowhere just because you invested in private industry whether through policy or through money. Value isn't added to the economy by changing laws, only through dynamic systems. And so, the change in there has to happen at the immediate aftermath of the policy, as NS doesn't simulate the long-term or even progressive effects of the policy. It just talks about the immediate overall effect, nothing more, nothing less.
Is Homosexual.
IC name is the Neo-British Empire. all factbooks.
10.5 according to this: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
Literature Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... a=100&p=80
Philosophical Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... =52.5&s=80
MBTI: ENTP
I'm an anarcho-syndicalist IRL. This nation is actually intended as a dystopia and/or as a mockup of liberal capitalism. From the outside, it looks almost like a dictatorship or an oligarchy, but it's actually no more corrupt than any other capitalist democracy.
"GoMies sTaRVe" debunking: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1646771/

User avatar
Greater Hunnia
Envoy
 
Posts: 316
Founded: Sep 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Greater Hunnia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:46 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Because neoliberal economics doesn't work in real life and so money doesn't appear out of nowhere just because you invested in private industry whether through policy or through money. Value isn't added to the economy by changing laws, only through dynamic systems. And so, the change in there has to happen at the immediate aftermath of the policy, as NS doesn't simulate the long-term or even progressive effects of the policy. It just talks about the immediate overall effect, nothing more, nothing less.


Money doesn't appear out of nowhere, however, wealth can be created, by producing more raw resources, and then making products with said resources. Laws can be changed to make it easier for such things to happen, and not necessarily at the expense of the underclass.
This nation DOES use NS statistics, but the interpretation for some of them might be a bit skewed.

My political orientation:
Pro: nationalism, traditionalism, Christianity, constitutional monarchy, traditional gender roles, eugenics (to some degree, done humanely), the right to bear arms, compulsory military service, pro-life.

Against: any and all forms of marxism and communism, feminism, the promotion of homosexuality and hedonistic lifestyles, consumerism, globalism, "multiculturalism", "diversity", mass immigration, political correctness, pseudo-democracy, religious extremism.

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 441
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Greater Hunnia wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Because neoliberal economics doesn't work in real life and so money doesn't appear out of nowhere just because you invested in private industry whether through policy or through money. Value isn't added to the economy by changing laws, only through dynamic systems. And so, the change in there has to happen at the immediate aftermath of the policy, as NS doesn't simulate the long-term or even progressive effects of the policy. It just talks about the immediate overall effect, nothing more, nothing less.


Money doesn't appear out of nowhere, however, wealth can be created, by producing more raw resources, and then making products with said resources. Laws can be changed to make it easier for such things to happen, and not necessarily at the expense of the underclass.

Ahhh yes, but that links to my second point: it only measures the immediate overall effect, nothing more, nothing less.
Is Homosexual.
IC name is the Neo-British Empire. all factbooks.
10.5 according to this: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
Literature Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... a=100&p=80
Philosophical Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... =52.5&s=80
MBTI: ENTP
I'm an anarcho-syndicalist IRL. This nation is actually intended as a dystopia and/or as a mockup of liberal capitalism. From the outside, it looks almost like a dictatorship or an oligarchy, but it's actually no more corrupt than any other capitalist democracy.
"GoMies sTaRVe" debunking: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1646771/

User avatar
Greater Hunnia
Envoy
 
Posts: 316
Founded: Sep 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Greater Hunnia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:55 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Greater Hunnia wrote:
Money doesn't appear out of nowhere, however, wealth can be created, by producing more raw resources, and then making products with said resources. Laws can be changed to make it easier for such things to happen, and not necessarily at the expense of the underclass.

Ahhh yes, but that links to my second point: it only measures the immediate overall effect, nothing more, nothing less.


So how exactly is a recess of poor incomes an immediate effect of say, allowing pizzas to be sold in a historical building (an actual issue)? Surely it's going to make the guy who sells pizzas richer, but why does it lower the income of the rest? Besides that, what you say about only immediate aftermath isn't true to begin with. Pretty much all issues have a plethora of secondary effects, sometimes quite far-fetching. Furthermore, IIRC industries stats are given in a currency / capita format, and the number stays the same, even if the population grows constantly, so it can be argued that economic growth resulting from the status quo is also simulated. But that's not the point. The point is that there is no reason why poor incomes should be affected by wealth gaps unless the legislation allows exploitation directly or at least within a reasonable scope of secondary effects, or messes with the taxes in a way that would negatively affect poor incomes.
Last edited by Greater Hunnia on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
This nation DOES use NS statistics, but the interpretation for some of them might be a bit skewed.

My political orientation:
Pro: nationalism, traditionalism, Christianity, constitutional monarchy, traditional gender roles, eugenics (to some degree, done humanely), the right to bear arms, compulsory military service, pro-life.

Against: any and all forms of marxism and communism, feminism, the promotion of homosexuality and hedonistic lifestyles, consumerism, globalism, "multiculturalism", "diversity", mass immigration, political correctness, pseudo-democracy, religious extremism.

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 pm

Most likely limitations in the simulation's ability to portray the real-world completely accurately, so it links them instead since that's at least a fuzzy/good-enough approximation.
Osiris Vizier of WA AffairsDee Vytherov-SkollvaldrGameplay Ambassador of ForestLieutenant in The Black HawksRecruitment and Outreach Director of Lazarus

User avatar
Leutria
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1507
Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Leutria » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:43 pm

I am pretty sure the game does not track income of the poor and income of the wealthy separately, and instead just takes average income and apply the wealth gap though some formula to get income of the rich and poor. Now, if average income rose and wealth gaps shrunk, you could could see something where the poor get wealthier and the rich stay the same (or any other variant), but that would require the change in average income and wealth gaps to balance each other out exactly, which is pretty unlikely I expect.

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 17643
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:22 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Because neoliberal economics doesn't work in real life

But this isn't real life, it's NationSsates.
100% income tax rates?!? Nations with 'basket-case' or 'imploded' economies that still manage to rank in the top 01% for best public education & best public healthcare?!?
Basically, the game's simulation of economics is just very simplistic...
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 441
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:32 am

Greater Hunnia wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Ahhh yes, but that links to my second point: it only measures the immediate overall effect, nothing more, nothing less.


So how exactly is a recess of poor incomes an immediate effect of say, allowing pizzas to be sold in a historical building (an actual issue)? Surely it's going to make the guy who sells pizzas richer, but why does it lower the income of the rest? Besides that, what you say about only immediate aftermath isn't true to begin with. Pretty much all issues have a plethora of secondary effects, sometimes quite far-fetching. Furthermore, IIRC industries stats are given in a currency / capita format, and the number stays the same, even if the population grows constantly, so it can be argued that economic growth resulting from the status quo is also simulated. But that's not the point. The point is that there is no reason why poor incomes should be affected by wealth gaps unless the legislation allows exploitation directly or at least within a reasonable scope of secondary effects, or messes with the taxes in a way that would negatively affect poor incomes.

I think the issues themselves are just broken and so is the code. I've once given protections to businesses and gave them tax cuts at the cost of state provisions for the poor, yet somehow income equality increased.
Is Homosexual.
IC name is the Neo-British Empire. all factbooks.
10.5 according to this: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
Literature Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... a=100&p=80
Philosophical Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... =52.5&s=80
MBTI: ENTP
I'm an anarcho-syndicalist IRL. This nation is actually intended as a dystopia and/or as a mockup of liberal capitalism. From the outside, it looks almost like a dictatorship or an oligarchy, but it's actually no more corrupt than any other capitalist democracy.
"GoMies sTaRVe" debunking: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1646771/

User avatar
Merconitonitopia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1505
Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Merconitonitopia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:23 pm

What exactly is the question here? If the increase in inequality has a proportionally greater impact than the increase in average income then poor income will fall. Its a simple equation.
Land and Kingdom of Merconites
Fear God and keep His Commandments


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Krvava Koupel, The New Nordic Union

Advertisement

Remove ads