NATION

PASSWORD

Alt text

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Fujai
Attaché

Founded: Mar 31, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Alt text

Postby Fujai » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Hello, I was wondering if there was any way to employ alt text on NS. I'm namely interested on images on dispatches, but also in other areas where they can be displayed. Accessible design is a big priority for me, and I want to make sure that our region's dispatches are accessible to all viewers while, if possible, maintaining visual appeal.
Fujai Astor | he/they | fu:'jaɪ, foo-yEYE | Adjective: Fujansk - Demonym: Fujar - Plural: Fujar - Language: Fujansk
Folkskommunarna Fujai | TWP Roleplay Community | Fujansk Designs (currently not accepting requests)
Proud Astor, TWP Cabinet Minute-Keeper Extraordinaire, Executive Assistant of Branding, TWPAF Gunner, Cultural Trustee, Loremaster for the Roleplay Community, Editor for The Western Post, former Guardian, Minister, etc | Commended by The West Pacific, Xia of the Benevolent Order of the Three Perfections

Borovan entered the region as he
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Borovan entered the region as he » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:21 am

Fujai wrote:Hello, I was wondering if there was any way to employ alt text on NS. I'm namely interested on images on dispatches, but also in other areas where they can be displayed. Accessible design is a big priority for me, and I want to make sure that our region's dispatches are accessible to all viewers while, if possible, maintaining visual appeal.

You mean like when you hover an image it displays text and if someone is blind and has accessibility control on it displays text instead?

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:24 am

Borovan entered the region as he wrote:
Fujai wrote:Hello, I was wondering if there was any way to employ alt text on NS. I'm namely interested on images on dispatches, but also in other areas where they can be displayed. Accessible design is a big priority for me, and I want to make sure that our region's dispatches are accessible to all viewers while, if possible, maintaining visual appeal.

You mean like when you hover an image it displays text and if someone is blind and has accessibility control on it displays text instead?

If you do mean this, I don't think that it's possible.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Good point, but no, it's not currently possible. There is a significant moderation issue with allowing users to embed mostly-invisible text in images.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:09 pm

I know it's not ideal in every situation (hence the use of alt text), but you could use plain old captions for your images.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Fujai
Attaché

Founded: Mar 31, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fujai » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:42 pm

[violet] wrote:Good point, but no, it's not currently possible. There is a significant moderation issue with allowing users to embed mostly-invisible text in images.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks! If the alt text displayed as you hover over an image, would it help with being mostly invisible, or would that even be possible to implement?

Phydios wrote:I know it's not ideal in every situation (hence the use of alt text), but you could use plain old captions for your images.

Captions are usually enough for images in the body, but my specific reason for asking was about images used in headers. People tend to use images of logos or other wordmarks as headers so the dispatch looks official, but then someone using a screen reader probably won't know what the dispatch is about. The workaround I found here was to use a background block to make the area white (which has the advantage of providing contrast to the text for people on the dark theme) and put text of the dispatch title in white just above it. I also put a disclaimer about the use of hyphens to format space up in the purple area. You can see these when you highlight the text, but I don't see that being an issue.

Borovan entered the region as he wrote:You mean like when you hover an image it displays text and if someone is blind and has accessibility control on it displays text instead?

It doesn't necessarily show up when you hover, but I've seen that done before. Alt text tends to be mostly on the back end of websites for screen readers to read as a description of the image being displayed.
Fujai Astor | he/they | fu:'jaɪ, foo-yEYE | Adjective: Fujansk - Demonym: Fujar - Plural: Fujar - Language: Fujansk
Folkskommunarna Fujai | TWP Roleplay Community | Fujansk Designs (currently not accepting requests)
Proud Astor, TWP Cabinet Minute-Keeper Extraordinaire, Executive Assistant of Branding, TWPAF Gunner, Cultural Trustee, Loremaster for the Roleplay Community, Editor for The Western Post, former Guardian, Minister, etc | Commended by The West Pacific, Xia of the Benevolent Order of the Three Perfections

Return to Technical