NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates API (nationdata/regiondata)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

HMS Unicorn
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Unicorn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:31 am

Caelapes wrote:
HMS Unicorn wrote:Would it be possible to provide a way to check whether an update is ongoing?

This could be, for example, a shard under the World API, which returns "0" if update is not running, and "1" if it is. An alternative would be to have a shard that returns a timestamp for when the latest completed update ended.

Seconding that this would be valuable. As a current workaround, you can place a nation in the last region to update and check when it receives issues through the RSS feed.

That won't be as helpful a workaround if a different region becomes the last region to update, though.

Aye, that's true, and I used to do that. However, what I am looking for is a long-term solution, so that I can schedule my processes once and not have to worry about adjusting the schedule for several months. The above is not a long-term solution for the reason you mentioned (and for the fact that automatically planting a puppet in any new last-updating region is illegal).
Last edited by HMS Unicorn on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:39 am

Caelapes wrote:
Agadar wrote:I would like to ask whether what I'm trying to do is in accordance with the rules, since it wasn't entirely clear to me when I read them:

If I were to run a script that would on a daily or weekly basis gather information from the region I'm in and present them in a message on my regional message board, would that be in accordance with the rules?

Two examples of what the script could post are: listing and welcoming newly joined nations, and featuring random region members.

I do hope this isn't frowned upon, because I'm looking forward on tinkering with this.

Scripts cannot automatically post to Regional Message Boards. You can have the script prepare everything for your post (including formatting and text for the post) but you will have to make the post yourself, as a living person. You can either have it so that you click a button and it posts for you, or you copy-paste the text and post it yourself. It cannot post automatically without your input.

Confirmed.

Agadar
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Caelapes wrote:Scripts cannot automatically post to Regional Message Boards. You can have the script prepare everything for your post (including formatting and text for the post) but you will have to make the post yourself, as a living person. You can either have it so that you click a button and it posts for you, or you copy-paste the text and post it yourself. It cannot post automatically without your input.

Confirmed.

That is what I feared. Thank you for confirming it.
Proud resident of The Western Isles, the #1 role-playing region!
Developer of Telegrammer, NS API Java Wrapper, and more!

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:35 pm

By the way, if I am to use script automation for changing something in a nation of mine, is it adequate that I'm logged in my main nation — or do I have to be each time logged in the respective nation being changed?

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Drachmaland wrote:By the way, if I am to use script automation for changing something in a nation of mine, is it adequate that I'm logged in my main nation — or do I have to be each time logged in the respective nation being changed?

To change a nation's settings one has to be logged in to that nation.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Eluvatar wrote:
Drachmaland wrote:By the way, if I am to use script automation for changing something in a nation of mine, is it adequate that I'm logged in my main nation — or do I have to be each time logged in the respective nation being changed?

To change a nation's settings one has to be logged in to that nation.

Thanks for the confirmation, Eluvatar!

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Misley wrote:"delegateauth" should really report the authorities granted to an unfilled delegate seat.

Fixed this and 'founderauthor' to display authorities regardless of whether anyone currently holds the office.

Note that Delegate authorities can change suddenly if an executive Founder moves out of the region, since in that situation the Delegate is automatically granted executive authority.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Define "logged in".

The web client your script uses to access the site can be entirely different from your normal browser, and so could have a different set of cookies. In principle, a well-made script could keep as many "logged in to this nation" cookie files as necessary side-by-side, and switch between them according to what nation it's working on now, without ever logging out from any of them.

Of course, the game does have to recognize you as logged in while you're actually doing stuff in the nation. I mean, duh.

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:14 pm

[violet] wrote:
Misley wrote:"delegateauth" should really report the authorities granted to an unfilled delegate seat.

Fixed this and 'founderauthor' to display authorities regardless of whether anyone currently holds the office.

Note that Delegate authorities can change suddenly if an executive Founder moves out of the region, since in that situation the Delegate is automatically granted executive authority.

Eyyy, thanks for this. :)

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:50 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
The web client your script uses to access the site can be entirely different from your normal browser, and so could have a different set of cookies. In principle, a well-made script could keep as many "logged in to this nation" cookie files as necessary side-by-side, and switch between them according to what nation it's working on now, without ever logging out from any of them.

This is what I was implying. Thanks, Trotterdam.

PS Thanks for the 'duh' also, whatever that is. :)

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:39 am

This might have been mentioned before, but is there a way to see the nations my nation (or another nation) has endorsed? The work around to my knowledge is getting the region list, then getting each nation residing in the regions endorsed by list, which adds up to a lot of requests. I could be missing something obvious here though.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Drachmaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmaland » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:09 am

Flanderlion wrote:This might have been mentioned before, but is there a way to see the nations my nation (or another nation) has endorsed? The work around to my knowledge is getting the region list, then getting each nation residing in the regions endorsed by list, which adds up to a lot of requests. I could be missing something obvious here though.

If you're using NS++, there's this: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=flan ... dorsements

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:35 am

Drachmaland wrote:
Flanderlion wrote:This might have been mentioned before, but is there a way to see the nations my nation (or another nation) has endorsed? The work around to my knowledge is getting the region list, then getting each nation residing in the regions endorsed by list, which adds up to a lot of requests. I could be missing something obvious here though.

If you're using NS++, there's this: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=flan ... dorsements

I've used that, and that's great for getting the vast majority of nations, but it doesn't always include all WA nations in the region (even when the nations in question have updated multiple times in the said region). I'm not 100% sure if it is an deliberate loophole left for the creators/maintainers sleepers, or an accident, nor have I figured out exactly what causes it, but NS++ isn't perfect in that regard. It's pretty good for most situations though.
Information
Wishlist

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:32 pm

The problem is most likely to be caused by NS++ missing the endorsement event in a flood of other events. I would expect, in that case, for NS++ to eventually check the nation endorsed and see the endorsement, but it could take a long time.

I'm aware of how to correct at least one major aspect of the cause of this in theory, but implementing the solution in practice has been on the back burner for a while because it would involve techniques I haven't used in java before and am uncertain how long it would take. I will try to make it, and NS++ in general, a priority for this month.

In terms of using the NS API to get the list of nations in a region, the list of WA nations, and using that to check all eligible nations to see whether a nation has endorsed them, there is also a subtle problem with this approach. Specifically, the WA Members list is 99.5% accurate (roughly speaking) -- there will generally be a handful of nations which are improperly listed or omitted. This comes up pretty often with very large regions such as The North Pacific. If you wish perfect accuracy, I would advise double checking against the list of nations with WA status in the last nations.xml dump, either directly or using the json list file that I generate daily.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 pm

Eluvatar wrote:The problem is most likely to be caused by NS++ missing the endorsement event in a flood of other events. I would expect, in that case, for NS++ to eventually check the nation endorsed and see the endorsement, but it could take a long time.

I'm aware of how to correct at least one major aspect of the cause of this in theory, but implementing the solution in practice has been on the back burner for a while because it would involve techniques I haven't used in java before and am uncertain how long it would take. I will try to make it, and NS++ in general, a priority for this month.

In terms of using the NS API to get the list of nations in a region, the list of WA nations, and using that to check all eligible nations to see whether a nation has endorsed them, there is also a subtle problem with this approach. Specifically, the WA Members list is 99.5% accurate (roughly speaking) -- there will generally be a handful of nations which are improperly listed or omitted. This comes up pretty often with very large regions such as The North Pacific. If you wish perfect accuracy, I would advise double checking against the list of nations with WA status in the last nations.xml dump, either directly or using the json list file that I generate daily.

Regarding NS++, the other 2 options of the WA tab are in need of a little more tweaking than the endorsements list, which eventually fix itself over time. The 0.5% is probably what has caused the issues in the past, but it isn't generally an issue.

I'd still prefer an nations endorsed by @nation@ type category in the NS API so less processing etc. on my end with my incredibly limited, basic script kiddie skill level.
Information
Wishlist

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:20 pm

Flanderlion wrote:I'd still prefer an nations endorsed by @nation@ type category in the NS API so less processing etc. on my end with my incredibly limited, basic script kiddie skill level.

The way NationStates is implemented, that is not very likely to happen soon.

The United Island Tribes
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 17, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

API Ratelimit response headers

Postby The United Island Tribes » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:41 am

I would like to make a request for the API.

Ratelimiting is not really a issue when you are making a script. However when writing a general api wrapper, it is very hard to cover all use cases and to protect from ratelimit breaches.

Currently my python api wrapper uses an internal request tracker to try to prevent api ratelimit bans. The problems with this are numerous. It is single threaded, so only one script can run at a time. Running multiple scripts will most likely result in a ban, and occasionally

This can be solved by having one of these 3 things in the headers

1. A response header where the period you track my ratelimiter begins (Least useful) - I doubt this is how the Rl system works
2. A response header where the period you track my ratelimiter ends (somewhat useful) - I doubt this is how the Rl system works
3. The current amount of requests in the last 30 seconds (extremely useful)

Hopefully 3 is possible. My library would be able to stay under the ratelimit at all times with it, even if mulitple scripts are running.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:29 am

The United Island Tribes wrote:I would like to make a request for the API.

Ratelimiting is not really a issue when you are making a script. However when writing a general api wrapper, it is very hard to cover all use cases and to protect from ratelimit breaches.

Currently my python api wrapper uses an internal request tracker to try to prevent api ratelimit bans. The problems with this are numerous. It is single threaded, so only one script can run at a time. Running multiple scripts will most likely result in a ban, and occasionally

1. A response header where the period you track my ratelimiter begins (Least useful) - I doubt this is how the Rl system works
2. A response header where the period you track my ratelimiter ends (somewhat useful) - I doubt this is how the Rl system works

Hopefully 3 is possible. My library would be able to stay under the ratelimit at all times with it, even if mulitple scripts are running.

My throttling program handles all of this, and indeed a version of it I threw together in rust can even self-enforce the non-API rate limit in the rules (which isn't enforced by the game directly, but is a rule one should follow). I would recommend its use.

I'm sorry I haven't had time to try to get your library using my system, I may be able to find time this month.

Edit: I'm wondering how you'd use (3) and avoid one script 'hogging' the ratelimit at the expense of other scripts.
Last edited by Eluvatar on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

The United Island Tribes
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 17, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Island Tribes » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 am

Eluvatar wrote:
The United Island Tribes wrote:I would like to make a request for the API.

My throttling program handles all of this, and indeed a version of it I threw together in rust can even self-enforce the non-API rate limit in the rules (which isn't enforced by the game directly, but is a rule one should follow). I would recommend its use.

I'm sorry I haven't had time to try to get your library using my system, I may be able to find time this month.

Edit: I'm wondering how you'd use (3) and avoid one script 'hogging' the ratelimit at the expense of other scripts.

While its true that there are solutions to this, I rather not incorporate them into the api wrapper itself. Any solution would need to be purely written in python.

My plan with #3 is to use my current built-in rate-limiter along with the header data to give the api wrapper a better impression on how and when it needs to make requests. Currently my wrapper assumes that you have yet to make any requests to the api (in the last 30 seconds). This isn't always true.

The only real issue with this is where one script makes 50 requests, and another makes 1 request. Since the second script didn't know it would be the 51st request, it will be banned. This would only really be an issue if two scripts are spamming the api as fast as the rate-limit system would let them. The rate-limit system in place already makes it impossible to send more than 48 requests per 30 seconds. So this situation would be rare and easily avoided.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:00 am

Is it possible to get a region's banlist off the API?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:11 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Is it possible to get a region's banlist off the API?

Why would you need it? Just go to that region and look at the ban list yourself.

New Leppikania
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Leppikania » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:17 pm

The Silver Sentinel wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Is it possible to get a region's banlist off the API?

Why would you need it? Just go to that region and look at the ban list yourself.

You know, "Is it possible to get this off the API?" usually means "I need this information for a script."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Fantastic. All aboard the WA money waste machine.
Blech, Money Tree Acres, Those Dang Commies, All the Blue Shells, Scout Airlines, Aloomenaty, New Leppikanian Envoy, and Every Nation Ever. Plus one that nobody will ever guess. Hints: preceded New Leppikania, does NOT currently exist, only active for a couple days, name started with OX.
Random GA rules quiz that I set up
I can campaign for a reasonable proposal at the low, low price of a polite telegram!

The United Dominion
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The United Dominion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Hopefully quick question set that hopefully won't lead to more. I'm receiving this warning when trying to retrieve data within a PHP application:

Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/api.cgi?[API-CALL]): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden

When I paste the url with the full set of items I want into a browser, I get the xml return with no problem. I just can't seem to get it within my php application. I'm reasonably certain that I could six months ago when I started the project, but since I dropped it for awhile, I don't actually know for sure.

Do I have to use curl rather than file_get_contents? Or is it perhaps that the server my application is hosted on is blocked? Did file_get_contents used to work but now it doesn't?
:: The Local Cluster :: Join Today! ::
:: "The Best Region for NSFT"™ ::
:: NSFT Community Discord Server ::

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:02 pm

The United Dominion wrote:Hopefully quick question set that hopefully won't lead to more. I'm receiving this warning when trying to retrieve data within a PHP application:

Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/api.cgi?[API-CALL]): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden

When I paste the url with the full set of items I want into a browser, I get the xml return with no problem. I just can't seem to get it within my php application. I'm reasonably certain that I could six months ago when I started the project, but since I dropped it for awhile, I don't actually know for sure.

Do I have to use curl rather than file_get_contents? Or is it perhaps that the server my application is hosted on is blocked? Did file_get_contents used to work but now it doesn't?

Confirming I have this error as well. I just sent a GHR about it a few minutes ago.
☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:24 pm

I'm assuming it has to do with this:
[violet] wrote:Please note I have just banned some scripts from the API that were violating the Terms of Use, primarily by sending no UserAgent. I have also banned one UserAgent because the script has been exhibiting problems and the author as identified in the UserAgent didn't respond to email.

Affected scripts will receive a 403 status code from the API and an explanatory message. You can re-establish access by setting a valid unique UserAgent.

If that's the case, you'll need to set a useragent: https://joshtronic.com/2013/06/04/speci ... _contents/

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical