NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates API (nationdata/regiondata)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Trotterdam
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6733
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:03 am

Eluvatar wrote:I'm inclined to do what you ask in full, but that is more work to accomplish (because it'd involve either filtering the output or changing the mechanics) and I'm trying to get something else done. Let me know if this is sufficient.
Sure, I can work with this. I wouldn't say it's the ideal format, but I can easily do any filtering I want myself.

If you plan to change it further, I advise saving that until after this year's apocalypse is over so the format doesn't suddenly change mid-event.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6733
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:38 am

I have another case of the "improperly initialized census scores" bug.

The zombie census scores are reported as blank on New Docistan. This is not true of all nations founded after the zombie apocalypse was over, as I verified by picking a random newly-made nation.

User avatar
August
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 110
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby August » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Eluvatar wrote:It is illegal for a player to evade rate limits through the use of multiple IP addresses.
Of course, but I am talking about using a single device for multiple scripts.

Can I, for example, send one API recruitment message every 90s from my computer (so, a single player with a single IP address) by running two separate scripts for two distinct, independent regions?
Trot: "I'm pretty sure the telegram ratelimit is per player, not per region"
Fris: "Nope, the ratelimit is per region"
If the ratelimit is per region and not per player, then it seems that my described scenario would be legal, because each of those two regions would be subject to their own ratelimit of 1 per 180s.
Eluvatar wrote:I believe that at least the recruitment telegram ratelimits apply to both keys and IPs now, with a change made after Afforess did what you described. I didn't review any records or anything before saying this, though, so don't trust my memory too much.
This confused me because I thought Afforess only ever recruited for one region, Capitalist Paradise. Would it be possible to get a more concrete ruling?
Augustin Alliance Central Strategic Committee
AARFGHCKLENADNJTFReference

|| AA Founder

Other Links: NS Founders | Tech suggestions | AA server | AugustinAndroid | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

User avatar
Agadar
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7749
Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:42 pm

August wrote:
Eluvatar wrote:It is illegal for a player to evade rate limits through the use of multiple IP addresses.
Of course, but I am talking about using a single device for multiple scripts.

Can I, for example, send one API recruitment message every 90s from my computer (so, a single player with a single IP address) by running two separate scripts for two distinct, independent regions?
Trot: "I'm pretty sure the telegram ratelimit is per player, not per region"
Fris: "Nope, the ratelimit is per region"
If the ratelimit is per region and not per player, then it seems that my described scenario would be legal, because each of those two regions would be subject to their own ratelimit of 1 per 180s.
Eluvatar wrote:I believe that at least the recruitment telegram ratelimits apply to both keys and IPs now, with a change made after Afforess did what you described. I didn't review any records or anything before saying this, though, so don't trust my memory too much.
This confused me because I thought Afforess only ever recruited for one region, Capitalist Paradise. Would it be possible to get a more concrete ruling?


Seems like it's relatively easy to test, no? Fire off a telegram for one region followed immediately be a telegram for another region.
Information Secretary of The Western Isles, the #1 role-playing region!
Developer of Telegrammer, NS API Java Wrapper, and more!

User avatar
Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22928
Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Anarchy

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:34 pm

August wrote:This confused me because I thought Afforess only ever recruited for one region, Capitalist Paradise.

Afforess was hosting the NS++ bot on his own server. As such, all NS++ scripts ran from a single device.

As far as I know, it's legal for you to run more than one script at a time, as long as they are for different regions. The rate limit is mostly key based, though there is a device (or IP) based limit as well. Given that any single region script can send (IIRC) 1 telegram every three minutes, but any given IP can access the API 50 times in 30 seconds, you can probably run campaigns for several regions.

Running more than one script for a single region on multiple devices is pointless, as the regional API key controls the rate limit. It won't increase recruiting speed. It's likely that every script after the first will simply fail each time.

User avatar
Flanderlion
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1376
Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Should the rule not be per person as well as per region? In the above case they run several 'seperate' servers sharing a military/N-day etc. I'm not 100% on whether each has their own FA. Allowing one person to recruit for several regions that serve the same function seems to be avoiding the recruitment limit.
As always, I'm representing myself as a citizen, rather than as part of the Government, if I am at the time.

User avatar
Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22928
Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Anarchy

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:14 pm

Flanderlion wrote:In the above case they run several 'seperate' servers sharing a military/N-day etc.

I'm not really following. If, say a raider region uses raided regions as feeders to their main region, that would violate the spirit of the rule. It's mostly on the honor system, because the code would allow each region their own API key and script.

Flanderlion wrote:Allowing one person to recruit for several regions that serve the same function seems to be avoiding the recruitment limit.

That's necessarily 100% honor system. There's no way for us to code identification into the system, as we never ask for ID in the first place. All you need to sidestep it is represent yourself as two different nations / regions / players. Feel free to suggest something, but we've never figured anything out.

Flanderlion wrote:I'm not 100% on whether each has their own FA.

I don't know what a FA is in this context.

User avatar
Eluvatar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2139
Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:45 pm

I can be clearer.

The telegram ratelimit is separately enforced by key and by IP.

Do not evade either of these limits.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

User avatar
Baconbacon123
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 22
Founded: Nov 01, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Baconbacon123 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:16 pm

I’m helping someone get set up to use telegram api. They have checked to be sure they have a working client key, but the api always returns 403 client not registered for api. What should be done?
Last edited by Baconbacon123 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Flanderlion
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1376
Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:18 am

Baconbacon123 wrote:I’m helping someone get set up to use telegram api. They have checked to be sure they have a working client key, but the api always returns 403 client not registered for api. What should be done?

They either are entering it wrong, or have one of the keys that was lost when the API key database was partially lost.
As always, I'm representing myself as a citizen, rather than as part of the Government, if I am at the time.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: August

Advertisement

Remove ads