NATION

PASSWORD

Joint 1st place for stats

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Do you want joint places for stats?

Yes, give us joint places
83%
No, I like things as they are
17%

Total votes : 6

Jarian
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 15, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Joint 1st place for stats

Postby Jarian » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:22 am

I typed a really long message and lost it, sorry if this re-type is a bit rushed.

This is both gameplay and technical, hopefully I correctly prioritised the technical side.

I propose giving nations with equal stats the same place. An easy example is people with 100 Economy. I believe everyone with this maxed out stat should be joint 1st place.

Currently the stat list is often a poor representation of a nations true stats, as well as the top 3 displayed with a nations banner.

For example: if you have 100 Economy and 95 Secularism, Economy should be on top. However, this is not the case as the more popular Economy stat gets a lower place.

Finally, this is unfair to newer players who may max out their Economy stat and they will not even be in the top 5%, despite having the maximum score.

I hope that was understandable enough and there's a chance of this happening.

Added to oppose the opposition:
Jarian wrote:If Economy is too easy to boost, then that's a seperate issue. It doesn't change the fact that this is the one part of the game that does not give players equal opportunity.
Last edited by Jarian on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
☆ジャリアンへようこそ☆未来に行くぞ☆

Anglomir
Envoy

Founded: Aug 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglomir » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:28 am

Fair call.

I gather you can already predict the counter arguments.

"Oooh, I've been here since 2002, why should I share first place with some newbie who can get there in one month!"

"If you have joint first place, you have to have joint other places, otherwise it wont work, and we cant have a 100 place system for however many thousands of nations there are"

etc
OBERKONIGREICH OF ANGLOMIR |ᛏᚺᛖ ᚴᛁᚾᚷᛞᛟᛗ ᛟᚠ ᚨᛚᛗᛟᚾᚷᛁᚱ | Portal (Home) | National Anthem
Zitravgrad wrote:"In every man, there is an animal that wishes to dominate. But in Anglomir, we are already the dominating race."

The English Regions wrote:Nationalistic and overly serious, whose idea of fun is having a beer whilst making jokes about foreigners.

Convallaria wrote:Paternalistic Conservatism with elements of theological dominionism.

Painisia wrote:Neo-fascist monarchy

Tondo Federation wrote:Germano-Nordic Vikings who drink a lot of beer and work for 40 hours a day

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:29 am

Jarian wrote:I typed a really long message and lost it, sorry if this re-type is a bit rushed.

This is both gameplay and technical, hopefully I correctly prioritised the technical side.

I propose giving nations with equal stats the same place. An easy example is people with 100 Economy. I believe everyone with this maxed out stat should be joint 1st place.

Currently the stat list is often a poor representation of a nations true stats, as well as the top 3 displayed with a nations banner.

For example: if you have 100 Economy and 95 Secularism, Economy should be on top. However, this is not the case as the more popular Economy stat gets a lower place.

Finally, this is unfair to newer players who may max out their Economy stat and they will not even be in the top 5%, despite having the maximum score.

I hope that was understandable enough and there's a chance of this happening.

With the economy in particular, not everyone at 100 points is equal. Right now it's in fact much, much too easy to get 100 economy and then after a month of boosting it never be able to cut it down again. It's been known for a while that the economy stat should be overhauled.

As for Secularism. All I can say is that that's not a bad idea.
Last edited by Chan Island on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jarian
Bureaucrat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Jarian » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:43 am

If Economy is too easy to boost, then that's a seperate issue. It doesn't change the fact that this is the one part of the game that does not give players equal opportunity.
☆ジャリアンへようこそ☆未来に行くぞ☆

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:05 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=436914

You'll be glad to know that it's on a final call beta - where after it gets enacted there won't be a max of 100, and instead you can get higher. Sadly the other 4 stats which off the top of my head have the issue of many individuals sharing ranks (Civil Rights, Political Freedoms, Influence and World Assembly Endorsements) don't appear to have betas. Civil Rights and Political Freedom need the same treatment, but influence and WA endoes only have a logjam at the lowest influence/endorsements. The solution to the ties should just be expanding the stat bounds instead of allowing ties.

You also aren't at the top of the economy stat currently, you're 99.71 (https://www.nationstates.net/nation=jar ... censusid=1) which is approx 700 places or slightly more away from nations that have 100 economy (just over 11 thousand nations at present, but after the beta is implemented it'll become irrelevant).
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Jarian
Bureaucrat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Jarian » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:12 am

Flanderlion wrote:You also aren't at the top of the economy stat currently, you're 99.71

I know, I was using Economy as an example. I also share a region with people who have 100 Economy.
☆ジャリアンへようこそ☆未来に行くぞ☆

Return to Technical