NATION

PASSWORD

Self-Terminating Spoiler

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Vadia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Self-Terminating Spoiler

Postby Vadia » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:54 am

I have a thread

In the thread, there is a self-terminating spoiler. That spoiler error was in the spoiler above before, and the one above that, and the one above that. I've been ripping out [align=][/align] codes to make it go away, but it just keeps trucking along.

The [/spoiler] is far lower on the page then the code acts like it is, and I really don't want to have to rip out every single align on the page, as they make it look better. I also don't want to have to rip out images, or urls as they provide citations for the images.

Any idea what is wrong? Is it hopeless?
The fastest way to make absolutely sure that a point is bad, is to pretend to argue for it to people that are against it.

""Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening""

This is also my NPC account.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:14 am

I guarantee that you have a mis-matched tag in there somewhere. The forum software doesn't randomly terminate spoilers. It's ALWAYS a tagging error - either you've got an extra, or you've misnested it. Keep looking.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:22 am

I assume that you want the unspoilered ammo to be spoilered, so there is that.

You will want to look at where you forgot one of your [/align].

I counted 12 [align], and 11 [/align], so you need to close it somewhere.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:30 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:I guarantee that you have a mis-matched tag in there somewhere. The forum software doesn't randomly terminate spoilers. It's ALWAYS a tagging error - either you've got an extra, or you've misnested it. Keep looking.

I looked at the small paragraph of code and found nothing but finished tags, so I was forced to rip out a string of [align] codes, so now the storefront looks worse.

It seems if you do
[url][/url]

Text

It takes the image and spoilers only it, leaving out all of the text below and deleting the [/spoiler] at the bottom. On top of that, it deletes the [/align] code as well.

Code: Select all
[spoiler=7.62x39mm,AK-47 Ammo][align=center][url=http://www.ilikewallpaper.net/ipad-wallpapers/download/16089/Pile-Of-Bullets-ipad-wallpaper-ilikewallpaper_com.jpg]Pile of 7.62x39mm Ammo[/url][/align]

A box of 20 rounds of 7.92x38.70 is five Universal dollars.

[b]Casing:[/b] Steel
[b]Primer:[/b] Berdan
[b]Bullet:[/b] Copper Coated Lead
[b]Bullet diameter:[/b] 7.92 mm (0.312 in)
[b]Case length[/b]: 38.70 mm (1.524 in)[/spoiler]

This is the code that failed. Every [] is completed and when it loads, some of it gets moved or deleted.

Valentine Z wrote:I assume that you want the unspoilered ammo to be spoilered, so there is that.

You will want to look at where you forgot one of your [/align].

I counted 12 [align], and 11 [/align], so you need to close it somewhere.

I used the search feature and found 10 of each, with it counting the button for the align code at the top.
The fastest way to make absolutely sure that a point is bad, is to pretend to argue for it to people that are against it.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:34 am

[[/url]/align]

I seem to found the problem. One of your aligns are merged with url, i.e. From the code above, you put the /url in an /align.

[[/url]/align] instead of [/url][/align] in the very last bit of the snipped code.

EDIT: You have no missing [/align], my mistake. Just that error above.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:35 am

You also seem to have an error between 7.62x39mm (in the spoiler) and 7.92x38.70mm (in the tech. specs) for the last box of rounds.

EDIT: I'm fixing it on Telegram/Dispatch.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:40 am

Valentine Z wrote:
[spoiler=MindWalker Model 4 STEN][align=center][url=https://www.deviantart.com/tevo77777/art/MindWalker-MP-3008-Volks-MP-NS-662033352]([url=https://orig00.deviantart.net/7a9b/f/2017/338/d/3/huh_by_tevo77777-dbvrkll.png]Image[/url])[[/url]/align]

I seem to found the problem. One of your aligns are merged with url, i.e. From the code above, you put the /url in an /align.

[[/url]/align] instead of [/url][/align] in the very last bit of the snipped code.

Really odd cause for the problem. Thank you so much, there is no way I would've easily found that.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:42 am

Vadia wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:
[spoiler=MindWalker Model 4 STEN][align=center][url=https://www.deviantart.com/tevo77777/art/MindWalker-MP-3008-Volks-MP-NS-662033352]([url=https://orig00.deviantart.net/7a9b/f/2017/338/d/3/huh_by_tevo77777-dbvrkll.png]Image[/url])[[/url]/align]

Really odd cause for the problem. Thank you so much, there is no way I would've easily found that.

No problem! :D Oh and that ammo thing I was editing in as well.

It took me a few minutes as well. I saw 12 sets of [ align] and [/align], but Ctrl+F was spitting out "11 [/align]", so there's that.

EDIT: Finalised code here: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispa ... 2826/raw=1
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical