NATION

PASSWORD

Api Question

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Alsace and Lorraine United
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Api Question

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:46 pm

If you were to use an api, are you allowed to use the telegram api to exchange endorsements

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Endorsements are not telegrams, so no.

It's not a matter of not being allowed. It's just a matter of that not being how the API works. It's like asking if you're allowed to use a hammer to cut a rope. Even if we let you try, it wouldn't work.

If you don't understand this, then maybe you shouldn't be meddling with the API.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Endorsements are not telegrams, so no.

It's not a matter of not being allowed. It's just a matter of that not being how the API works. It's like asking if you're allowed to use a hammer to cut a rope. Even if we let you try, it wouldn't work.

If you don't understand this, then maybe you shouldn't be meddling with the API.

i kinda meant a system in which you ask for endorsements through the API

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Bump?

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Alsace and Lorraine United wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Endorsements are not telegrams, so no.

i kinda meant a system in which you ask for endorsements through the API

You don't seem to understand what the API is.

The API allows you to make requests for information from the site or interact with it, as the site allows, in a metered and controlled manner.

NS as a site decides what information they wish to make available/activities to allow.

Those are described here: https://www.nationstates.net/pages/api.html

Mostly you'll see shards, which allow you to request information. You'll also see private shards and commands, which allow you to access private information (such as you current issues, your notices, etc) and make certain actions that only effect your nation via the API (such as answer an issue). There's also the telegram API, which allows you to interface with the telegram system and unlike other facets of the API, make actions that effect the world beyond your nation (in this case, send a telegram). To use this function, there's an extra individual approval step by admins. There's also a little bit that basically allows other websites to confirm that a player owns the nation they say they do.

Notably absent from here is anything to do with effecting the game world outside your nation, i.e. moving regions, approving proposals, or endorsing other players. This is intentional, for a number of reasons I won't dive into in depth at the moment, but the point is thus:

It's not a matter of if you're allowed to or not, you physically cannot do such a thing unless the admins add the ability for you to interface with that part of the game via the API. You could ask that they add that, just like you can ask that they add a shard for <thingy>, but in the case you seek, the answer will be a quick and certain "no." Without the site creating an API interface for the endorsement system, you can't interact with it via the API. Period.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Could the OP possibly be asking about sending telegrams through the API that request endorsements? I know that is possible.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Alsace and Lorraine United » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:56 am

Phydios wrote:Could the OP possibly be asking about sending telegrams through the API that request endorsements? I know that is possible.

Exactly what I was asking

All Wild Things
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby All Wild Things » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Last edited by All Wild Things on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Browse The NewsStand
Watch the Wild Life

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:24 am

The main question here is what telegram filter type you're supposed to specify when composing your telegram. Does asking for endorsements count under "WA Campaign", or is that just for talking about actual resolutions? If you're the current delegate asking for more endorsements to strengthen your position, then it would likely be considered "Region (official)". Otherwise "External" is a catch-all, but it's not advisable to use that for something that falls under a more specific category.

The fact is that, even if legal, mass telegrams for such a selfish reason ("I want more endorsements!") are annoying. Especially when sent to people who quite deliberately chose not to endorse you for some reason, and then repeated every few weeks so long as they're still not endorsing you.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical