NATION

PASSWORD

Names and Nations

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Roman Confederacy
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Names and Nations

Postby The Roman Confederacy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:05 pm

Throughout my short but eventful few months on nation states, I have noticed that many real nations both existing, and lost to the history of the world, as well as fictitious nations have been either disgraced by bad apples, or pointlessly reserved by individuals who have long since abandoned nation states for half a decade or more.

And as a result of this, I and thousands of other nations have been forced into an era of increased creativity when inventing new nations revolving around specific themes or ideologies , or real nation inspirations, and for those adamant about what they want have had to get around those predicament by adding pretitles and classifications to their nation names that may be entirely unnecessary or contradictory even to their nation itself. A little creativity never hurt anyone and that isn't the subject of this post, but there's only so many names to be thought up and put into circulation, and as a result, eventually people will run out of good names to employ.

Which is why I'm suggesting that all disgraced nation names be released for general use, and all reserved nation names that have been inactive for 6 years or longer be released as well. This is just a suggestion and in my personal opinion would make things a lot better, for new or veteran active players of NS who would keep good names to active and good use.
Last edited by The Roman Confederacy on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial States America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Imperial States America » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:36 pm

No for one nations are reserved for a reason. Site admins are not gonna change that anytime soon.
Second nation names that are disgraced are persona non grata and will never be used again. Plus if you can't think of any good names that is not the fault of the site it I should your and yours alone for not thinking creatively. There is like tens of thousands of nations on NS not to mention hundreds of nations in school regions so I doubt people are having a hard time plus there are many name generation tools and sites that can help you with making a nation name.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Many "disgraced" nations were deleted because their names were offensive, so no, we don't want people reusing those names.

The Yankee Empire
Civilian

Founded: Jun 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yankee Empire » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:13 pm

It's not that hard to find a name.

If they did release a bunch of RL names from soiled nations, the best ones would just get snapped up again and we'd be right back where we started. Sometimes you won't get exactly the name you want. I still haven't been able to get the name I wanted when I joined the site in 2010. It's been released, but someone else swooped in and grabbed it before I could get there. Such is life.

OTOH, I just realized that "the Yankee Empire" was available. I like it, but I would not have thought of it if this thread hadn't got me thinking, so thank you for making this thread.

Return to Technical