NATION

PASSWORD

Snip [not worth discussing anymore]

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Lenlyvit
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 13, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Snip [not worth discussing anymore]

Postby Lenlyvit » Thu May 03, 2018 1:29 pm

So, over the last few days I've been thinking about the "Recruiter Friendly" region tag. I've noticed that there isn't really a clear tag to the opposite end, and if there is I overlooked it. Would it be possible to add a new tag that shows regions that aren't recruiter friendly? I don't really know what to name it other than "Not Recruiter Friendly", so if anyone else has a better idea then that would he neat.

Also, if implemented, is there any chance it could become illegal to hit regions with the tag with recruitment telegrams? Just a thought.
Last edited by Lenlyvit on Thu May 03, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Secretary-General | Guide to the Security Council | Security Council Ruleset | SC Ideas Thread

Founder of The Hole To Hide In (THTHI Discord)
Chief of Staff and former four time Delegate of 10000 Islands

I've been commended by the Security Council. Author of 19 Security Council Resolutions.

New Haudenosaunee Confederacy
Secretary

Founded: Oct 12, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby New Haudenosaunee Confederacy » Thu May 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Does anybody care about region tags?
[insert good signature here]

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu May 03, 2018 1:43 pm

I always thought that all regions that weren't GCRs or otherwise RF-tagged were already Not Recruiter Friendly...
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu May 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Lenlyvit wrote:So, over the last few days I've been thinking about the "Recruiter Friendly" region tag. I've noticed that there isn't really a clear tag to the opposite end, and if there is I overlooked it. Would it be possible to add a new tag that shows regions that aren't recruiter friendly? I don't really know what to name it other than "Not Recruiter Friendly", so if anyone else has a better idea then that would he neat.
I was under the impression that any untagged region is considered not-recruiter-friendly by default.

Lenlyvit wrote:Also, if implemented, is there any chance it could become illegal to hit regions with the tag with recruitment telegrams? Just a thought.
Many recruitment telegrams are sent via wildcards rather than targetted to specific nations, so instituting restrictions beyond the nation's own telegram settings is impractical. Besides, the fact that nations can block recruitment telegrams themselves leaves little need for other restrictions. What right do you as region-owner have to block recruitment telegrams to member nations who have decided that they do in fact want to receive them? (Granted, some players don't realize at first the option is there, and I think recruitment telegrams should follow an off-unless-you-opt-in rather than on-unless-you-opt-out policy, or at least let players decide before their nation is actually created and starts getting spammed, but that's unlikely to be relevant past the first few minutes of a nation's life.)

I am fairly sure it is already illegal to post RMB recruitment in regions without the recruiter-friendly tag. At least, I have seen posts get moderator-deleted for doing so.

Lenlyvit
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Lenlyvit » Thu May 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Tinhampton wrote:I always thought that all regions that weren't GCRs or otherwise RF-tagged were already Not Recruiter Friendly...

That can be a common misconception, as not every recruiter friendly region tags recruiter friendly. Some regions obviously don't get the point, and go recruitment bomb others for no apparent reason at all.

Trotterdam wrote:What right do you as region-owner have to block recruitment telegrams to member nations who have decided that they do in fact want to receive them?

I am fairly sure it is already illegal to post RMB recruitment in regions without the recruiter-friendly tag. At least, I have seen posts get moderator-deleted for doing so.

I never said it would block them, I said make it illegal. The telegrams would still get through, you should read the whole thing. As to the RMB, yes that's illegal to do so.
World Assembly Secretary-General | Guide to the Security Council | Security Council Ruleset | SC Ideas Thread

I've been commended by the Security Council. Author of 19 Security Council Resolutions.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu May 03, 2018 2:08 pm

Lenlyvit wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:What right do you as region-owner have to block recruitment telegrams to member nations who have decided that they do in fact want to receive them?
I never said it would block them, I said make it illegal.
What right do you as region-owner have to ban recruitment telegrams to member nations who have decided that they do in fact want to receive them?

Lenlyvit
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Lenlyvit » Thu May 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Lenlyvit wrote:I never said it would block them, I said make it illegal.
What right do you as region-owner have to ban recruitment telegrams to member nations who have decided that they do in fact want to receive them?

Oh please, tell me where I said that? Making it illegal and banning it are two different things. I just said in the same spot you quoted that the telegrams would still get through, and that's a hypothetical thing at best, because the mods wouldn't do it. It was a suggestion.
Last edited by Lenlyvit on Thu May 03, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Devi Vytherin
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Devi Vytherin » Thu May 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Lenlyvit wrote:Making it illegal and banning it are two different things.

Uh. They really aren't?
~Devi Skollvaldr
Subversive Userite Raider

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu May 03, 2018 2:40 pm

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ban#Verb
4. (transitive) To prohibit; to interdict; to proscribe; to forbid or block from participation.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/prohibit#Verb
1. (transitive) To forbid, disallow, or proscribe officially; to make illegal or illicit.

Lenlyvit
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Lenlyvit » Thu May 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ban#Verb
4. (transitive) To prohibit; to interdict; to proscribe; to forbid or block from participation.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/prohibit#Verb
1. (transitive) To forbid, disallow, or proscribe officially; to make illegal or illicit.

I meant illegal as in, mod actionable. But I degress, as my understanding of the two words seems to be at odds with both of yours.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu May 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Lenlyvit wrote:I meant illegal as in, mod actionable. But I degress, as my understanding of the two words seems to be at odds with both of yours.
Look. Whatever you meant, what gives you the right to do that? That's my rhetorical question.

Lenlyvit
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Lenlyvit » Thu May 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Lenlyvit wrote:I meant illegal as in, mod actionable. But I degress, as my understanding of the two words seems to be at odds with both of yours.
Look. Whatever you meant, what gives you the right to do that? That's my rhetorical question.

You mean besides the fact I spent my own hard earned cash on recruiting people to my region? Not really sure why you're being so hostile here Trotterdam.
Last edited by Lenlyvit on Thu May 03, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu May 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Lenlyvit wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:I always thought that all regions that weren't GCRs or otherwise RF-tagged were already Not Recruiter Friendly...

That can be a common misconception, as not every recruiter friendly region tags recruiter friendly. Some regions obviously don't get the point, and go recruitment bomb others for no apparent reason at all.

It's not a misconception. If those recruiters are reported via Getting Help, they will be warned and the posts suppressed. There's zero need for an additional tag.

Note that this only applies to RMB posts. Anyone can send recruitment telegrams to anyone else. It's then up to the potential recipients to use their telegram settings to block recruitment.

There's no way in hell that we're going back to the bad old days where every recruiter had to visually check every region and nation before sending a telegram. We added automated blocks and recruitment checkboxes for a reason.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical