NATION

PASSWORD

[Suggestion] No Suppression Exhaustion for GCRs

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pergamon
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pergamon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:31 pm

Aclion wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:Oops. Happenings != Messageboard. I missed that.

And there's value to keeping the Happenings fairly clean. Nobody likes to scroll through 20 pages of suppressions to see who just got founded.

Isn't that exactly what the filters are for?

Good point. I think the Regional Happenings are entirely irrelevant regarding this suggestion.
PACIFICA STAND STRONG

Senator Emeritus of The Pacific - Ret. Regent of the New Pacific Order

"The only war that matters is the war of the Feederite Class against the Userite. UCR Organizations and Cabals that befoul GCR with their presence, disguised as ruling elite within them, must be removed and their power must be broken. This is the ultimate imperative of the Revolutionaries true to the GCR and the Pacifics, which have nothing to lose but the chains from Userite oppression."

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:37 am

How about limiting suppression to an amount tied to the total population of the region?
It would allow big regions to suppress more and small regions to suppress less.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Arkhall
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 11, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Arkhall » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:12 am

Old Hope wrote:How about limiting suppression to an amount tied to the total population of the region?

*pokes at tag raiders of one person regions*

Ransium wrote:If being dirty minded was against site rules I'd be DOS.
Hatterleigh wrote:Sandwiches are a social construct.
Last Plains wrote:I've been given limitless power and I'm in a bad mood.
The New California Republic wrote:Nietzsche is just laughable, it reads like tabloid trash.
I'm a female Tamale cripple with snark and a lewd attitude, my dude.
I own Ikuisuus, and don't take kindly to people who TG me telling me how to run it.

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 am

Arkhall wrote:
Old Hope wrote:How about limiting suppression to an amount tied to the total population of the region?

*pokes at tag raiders of one person regions*

Not an issue.

Arkhall
Spokesperson

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Arkhall » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:55 am

Oh also, cue raiders bringing in a lot of non WA nations as well as WA nations in order to increase the amount they can suppress.

The New California Republic wrote:Nietzsche is just laughable, it reads like tabloid trash.
I own Ikuisuus, and don't take kindly to people who TG me telling me how to run it.

Marilyn Manson Freaks
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Marilyn Manson Freaks » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 am

I completely agree.

Daily I have to suppress spammers and multiposters in TRR, I get a suppression exhaustion every day almost!

This would benefit regional administration, but it could be also used to grief GCRs.
Hi, I'm Manson! I'm just your friendly neighborhood rockstar!
NS Join Date: November 6th, 2015

Here are some things I've authored.

Jobs & Positions
4th Generation Fishmonger
Founder of the Church of Zyonn
NRO Stooge

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:38 am

It seems that, as of now, suppression is solely done on a timer. What if that timer were to scale with the number of WA members or nations in the region?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:56 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:It seems that, as of now, suppression is solely done on a timer. What if that timer were to scale with the number of WA members or nations in the region?

WA members, unless you want the previously mentioned raider effect.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Arkhall wrote:

Oh also, cue raiders bringing in a lot of non WA nations as well as WA nations in order to increase the amount they can suppress.

Raiders rarely mass-suppress nowadays that I know of, and no timer is going to stop anyone truly dedicated to mass-suppression.

Polldger
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Polldger » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Warzones shouldn't be excluded. It is precisely that we are battlegrounds that we shouldn't been "protection".

The chance of being terrorised and having 5000 pages of suppression should be a feature of living in a deliberately unstable place like a Warzone.

Marilyn Manson Freaks
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Marilyn Manson Freaks » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Polldger wrote:Warzones shouldn't be excluded. It is precisely that we are battlegrounds that we shouldn't been "protection".

The chance of being terrorised and having 5000 pages of suppression should be a feature of living in a deliberately unstable place like a Warzone.

Agreed, Codger.
Hi, I'm Manson! I'm just your friendly neighborhood rockstar!
NS Join Date: November 6th, 2015

Here are some things I've authored.

Jobs & Positions
4th Generation Fishmonger
Founder of the Church of Zyonn
NRO Stooge

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:26 am

Marilyn Manson Freaks wrote:
Polldger wrote:Warzones shouldn't be excluded. It is precisely that we are battlegrounds that we shouldn't been "protection".

Agreed, Codger.

You don't have to fear this unless someone does it manually- automated suppression is against site rules and can be reversed by Moderation(I am NOT a moderator)

Aglrinia
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aglrinia » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Arkhall wrote:Gotta keep in mind that suppression does clog up the regional happenings.

Who the heckle cares about what the regional happenings looks like, especially in GCRs?

Some people still manually recruit when they're bored, and keeping an eye on the regional happenings in GCRs is the only way to catch newly founded or refounded nations.
Jakker wrote:TBH is Pro-bring Life to GP

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:35 pm

Aglrinia wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Who the heckle cares about what the regional happenings looks like, especially in GCRs?

Some people still manually recruit when they're bored, and keeping an eye on the regional happenings in GCRs is the only way to catch newly founded or refounded nations.

I would sincerely hope anyone manually reruiting would have the common sense to limit themselves to just the Foundings filter on the World Activity Page.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Pergamon
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pergamon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 am

Tim-Opolis wrote:
Aglrinia wrote:Some people still manually recruit when they're bored, and keeping an eye on the regional happenings in GCRs is the only way to catch newly founded or refounded nations.

I would sincerely hope anyone manually reruiting would have the common sense to limit themselves to just the Foundings filter on the World Activity Page.

Agreed. Though filters this is entirely possible and the activity page is of no concern of this suggestion.
PACIFICA STAND STRONG

Senator Emeritus of The Pacific - Ret. Regent of the New Pacific Order

"The only war that matters is the war of the Feederite Class against the Userite. UCR Organizations and Cabals that befoul GCR with their presence, disguised as ruling elite within them, must be removed and their power must be broken. This is the ultimate imperative of the Revolutionaries true to the GCR and the Pacifics, which have nothing to lose but the chains from Userite oppression."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:29 am

Lord Dominator wrote:
Arkhall wrote:Oh also, cue raiders bringing in a lot of non WA nations as well as WA nations in order to increase the amount they can suppress.

Raiders rarely mass-suppress nowadays that I know of, and no timer is going to stop anyone truly dedicated to mass-suppression.

I just don't see this as a meaningful threat or reason why we shouldn't be able to do this.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Arkhall
Spokesperson

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Arkhall » Tue May 01, 2018 7:53 am

Bumperino.

Darcania
Envoy

Founded: Dec 29, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Darcania » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm

Bringing this topic up again. The fact that a single spammer can easily oversaturate the suppression rate limit frankly makes RMB moderation impossible for ROs, and since NS moderation often leaves simpler moderation to ROs, we should at least be capable of responding to issues when they come until NS moderation takes over. While I do thank and even applaud the mods for their fast action and hard work with the current, ongoing Earldoms spam in TNP (seriously, my wholehearted thanks and condolences to whichever mod is handling that right now), the current suppression system is ridiculous.

At the very least there should be a ratelimit for how often a nation can post on the RMB that the suppression limit either equals or exceeds. And that's a minimum.

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:07 pm

How about an emergency mode?
An option that removes supression but may only be used if there is rulebreaking spam, and will be severely punished upon misuse. Preferably with a big EMERGENCY ONLY warning before activation. That probably should also alert the mods, if possible.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:08 pm

I agree that the suppression limit needs to be revisited, but Emergency Mode is a non-starter.
Old Hope wrote:That probably should also alert the mods, if possible.

If you alert the mods, there are two possible outcomes:
  • A Game Mod is actively monitoring Getting Help, so your RO needs no special powers. The mod will remove the 'emergency' spam.
  • No Game Mod is active, in which case it doesn't matter whether we get alerted. A GHR can still be filed, and a mod will act on it when they check GHRs anyway. Meantime, RO suppression hides the content adequately.

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:I agree that the suppression limit needs to be revisited, but Emergency Mode is a non-starter.
Old Hope wrote:That probably should also alert the mods, if possible.

If you alert the mods, there are two possible outcomes:
  • A Game Mod is actively monitoring Getting Help, so your RO needs no special powers. The mod will remove the 'emergency' spam.
  • No Game Mod is active, in which case it doesn't matter whether we get alerted. A GHR can still be filed, and a mod will act on it when they check GHRs anyway. Meantime, RO suppression hides the content adequately.

So it does not need to alert the mods, ok. Can we get a reasoning for why Emergency Mode is a non-starter? It could be helpful to avoid unneccesary suggestions.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:17 am

Thought I'd weighed in on this long ago, but appears not. I couldn't care less if it's just for GCRs or UCRs as well, but the limit at present is way too strict. Perhaps have the throttle only apply to posts over a week ago?

Edit: Added 'just'
Last edited by Flanderlion on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:25 am

Come to think of it, if post suppression is spamming the happenings why aren't people getting dinged for happening spam when they suppress a region's entire RMB?
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:36 am

Aclion wrote:why aren't people getting dinged for happening spam

Happening spam was more of a thing when we only had 10 RH entries, and people were spamming RH to hid their activities. We haven't really been enforcing the RH spam rule since the introduction of Activity Logging unless it's obviously egregious and deliberate.

Praeceps
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Praeceps » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:03 pm

I'd like to bump this suggestion. We've had a particularly bad case of spam today in The North Pacific (not sure how many individuals are involved) but our RO quickly exhausted their limit. Our RMB was pretty much temporarily unusable since of all of the spam you would have to scroll through.
Apparently simultaneously a Ravenclaw puppet, a NPO plant, and a Warden spy. I had no idea I was that good. Depending on who you ask, my aliases include Krulltopia.

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs for The North Pacific, Former Guildmaster of The North Pacific Cards Guild

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical