NATION

PASSWORD

Factbook Order Placement

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Factbook Order Placement

Postby VoVoDoCo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm

To the best of my knowledge, the most recent of your factbooks are always put near the top, while the older ones appear at the bottom.

For people who are trying to write factbooks, but realize they wrote a few in the wrong order, that can become hectic.

Is it possible to allow the factbook author the ability to switch them around in the order they appear in?
Last edited by VoVoDoCo on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:02 pm

It's possible to reorder them by "updating" a factbook changing nothing but simply resetting the timestamp, but that's tedious to do if you have many factbooks that you want ordered just right and it can mislead other people into thinking there's something new to catch up on when there isn't.

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Trotterdam wrote:It's possible to reorder them by "updating" a factbook changing nothing but simply resetting the timestamp, but that's tedious to do if you have many factbooks that you want ordered just right and it can mislead other people into thinking there's something new to catch up on when there isn't.

And that's my problem. I have an idea for setting up my nation and my puppet's factbooks, but it's hard to get started, knowing that once I get too far, it'll become really tedious to make order edits.

I feel like I have to have every factbook pre thought out for Vovodoco and its puppets, or else I run the risk of having to go through the tedious timestamp update process, which you brought up.
Last edited by VoVoDoCo on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:10 pm

Could do what I have done and create a library where you have a link to all your dispatches. That would mean you only need to find one dispatch. Not a perfect solution but it is an option. I have also linked my Library on every dispatch so that you can always get to it, no matter how many you write.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=953111
Last edited by Mzeusia on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Pro: volone is an Italian cheese made from cow's milk.
Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Mzeusia wrote:Could do what I have done and create a library where you have a link to all your dispatches. That would mean you only need to find one dispatch. Not a perfect solution but it is an option. I have also linked my Library on every dispatch so that you can always get to it, no matter how many you write.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=953111

That is a good idea. But I'd need to use a lot of spoilers, and the spoilers are only about you know
big. And I like the way factbooks have those big headlines.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Doesn't have to be done with spoilers. This is a really fancy directory dispatch that doesn't use spoilers:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=734638

Edit: well, it uses one at the top.
Edit2: Easy link for the raw (which you can get to yourself from the bottom right of any factbook/dispatch). They actually made the spoiler larger, and did fancy things like anchors. So you can see how they did it all. https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispa ... 4638/raw=1
Last edited by Leutria on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Leutria wrote:Doesn't have to be done with spoilers. This is a really fancy directory dispatch that doesn't use spoilers:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=734638

Edit: well, it uses one at the top.
Edit2: Easy link for the raw (which you can get to yourself from the bottom right of any factbook/dispatch). They actually made the spoiler larger, and did fancy things like anchors. So you can see how they did it all. https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispa ... 4638/raw=1

Now THAT was exceptionally helpful. Thank you very much.
:hug:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical