NATION

PASSWORD

About WA SecGen Elections.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Sgtorteribaracomai
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

About WA SecGen Elections.

Postby Sgtorteribaracomai » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Hello. The recent WA SecGen election was held in 2016. After doing research about the election in NSIndex, I found out that it was an April Fools Event. Shouldn't WA SecGen Elections happen during a period of time like after every 1-3 years? Everyone must be given the chance to be one.

Arkhall
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 11, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Arkhall » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Sgtorteribaracomai wrote:Hello. The recent WA SecGen election was held in 2016. After doing research about the election in NSIndex, I found out that it was an April Fools Event. Shouldn't WA SecGen Elections happen during a period of time like after every 1-3 years? Everyone must be given the chance to be one.

Nah. It was a joke to begin with. The role doesn't have any power or authority by any capacity, so there's no point to it.

Ransium wrote:If being dirty minded was against site rules I'd be DOS.
Hatterleigh wrote:Sandwiches are a social construct.
Last Plains wrote:I've been given limitless power and I'm in a bad mood.
The New California Republic wrote:Nietzsche is just laughable, it reads like tabloid trash.
I'm a female Tamale cripple with snark and a lewd attitude, my dude.
I own Ikuisuus, and don't take kindly to people who TG me telling me how to run it.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Has come up a lot over the years.

Will just quote myself from one of the many other times this has come up:
TLDR: Nothing happening until admin decides they want it back.

Flanderlion wrote:Fully support as always, but I don't think the election/feature should be added now, spread events out throughout the year and we're getting some awesome changes atm. so I'm kinda curious what they'll tick off the to do list next. Cosmetic powers work, and I'd be happy with it but I always supported giving the SG something so it wasn't just purely cosmetic.

From one of the other times this has come up:
Flanderlion wrote:I liked the idea of the Secretary General being able to reorder the proposal queue (so important resolutions can be pushed ahead of others in the queue), and the badge etc. Not going to make a text wall about it though, just go to the other recent threads about it.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=392286
viewtopic.php?p=30308128#p30308128

Previously I also supported putting the SG on the General Secretariat but [v] recently mentioned about having the GA pick their members themselves and take a bigger role in guiding the GA (viewtopic.php?p=32498689#p32498689).

Technically if it was based of the real UN (like the WA is) elections should be every 5 years, but annually sounds a better option because people have far shorter attention spans online, we'd be stuck with a bad SG for less time, and provides another event.

Question though, what happens if a SG either CTEs or gets mod deleted? Does the position remain empty for the rest of the term, does a new election get held (and if so, does the new one complete the term or start a new one), or does the runner up get the job for the rest of the term?
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Andoleen
Civil Servant

Founded: May 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Andoleen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:29 am

I think that it would be great idea to have SecGen elections annually. Last elections were fun and I would like to see them again.

Zombie Halloween Event doesn't have any practical purpose either, so this is a poor argument to not having this elections anymore.

Anyway, it would be nice for the SecGen to be mentioned somewhere on the World Assembly page. Just, you know, for easy check who is the SecGen in the moment. And maybe a list of former Secretaries.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:36 am

I am recommending that if a new election takes place this year, it should tie in with the opening of the next (73rd) UN General Assembly – the date has not been released yet, if I recall correctly (and unfortunately I have been avoiding the news as recent events contributed to my recent wave of depression), but it is usually in September, which should make the timing clear of the Halloween event.
Last edited by Minoa on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 am

There aren't elections for WA Secretary General. The Secretary General is Catherine Gratwick.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Andoleen
Civil Servant

Founded: May 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Andoleen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:There aren't elections for WA Secretary General. The Secretary General is Catherine Gratwick.

But http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/World_Assembly

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical