NATION

PASSWORD

Issues with Autofill

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Dalcan
Civilian

Founded: Jan 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Issues with Autofill

Postby Dalcan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Dear all,

This is driving me to annoyance. Basically, i use an iMac, which comes with the feature of autofill.
Though it works with the username and password when logging in, the username autofills into the ‘email’ section of the ‘settings’ tab, which is really frustrating when i have to make constant updates. :(

https://imgur.com/a/gMTPN

Please fix this,
Thank you
Last edited by Ransium on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please don’t make your titles so uninformative and annoying.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Dalcan wrote:Dear all,

This is driving me to annoyance. Basically, i use an iMac, which comes with the feature of autofill.
Though it works with the username and password when logging in, the username autofills into the ‘email’ section of the ‘settings’ tab, which is really frustrating when i have to make constant updates. :(

https://imgur.com/a/gMTPN

Please fix this,
Thank you

Autofill comes from your browser. Not NS. They can't control what text your browser adds.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:52 pm

This has more to do with Safari's autofill than NationStates' coding. But I do think that there's probably some way to change it up that it doesn't autofill. Of course, that would probably require looking into the Safari autofill documentation.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

El-Alamien
Attaché

Founded: Nov 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Alamien » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Is auto fill the same as autocorrect?
TURNING THE WORLD ALAMIENIAN GREEN

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:46 pm

El-Alamien wrote:Is auto fill the same as autocorrect?

Not at all.

Roengian
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Roengian » Wed May 20, 2020 12:34 pm

I've got a similar problem. While also just a minor annoyance, it may have a somewhat easy fix if it behaves the way I think it does.

So basically: Whenever I load up the Settings page, the current password input box for setting a new password is always autofilled when I load the page, and I have to delete it whenever I save the settings.

I did a bit of research on it, having a bit of HTML knowledge myself, and I found a few results.

If NS uses the <form> tag for at least the forms in the Settings page, there's an attribute called autocomplete that can be set to off that should disable autocomplete for that particular form.

I believe there are some other values besides on and off that can be used, such as new-password, which I think applies to a form used for setting a new password, and as that one doesn't autofill anyway that's not an issue, but this may be able to be applied to the current password form as well.

There's a page on this attribute here: https://www.w3docs.com/snippets/html/how-to-disable-browser-autocomplete-and-autofill-on-html-form-and-input-fields.html

Anywho, I hope that helps. Again, this is a relatively minor problem, but being fixed would be appreciated nonetheless.

Note: I'm using Firefox, but this should apply to other common browsers like Chrome, Safari, and such.

Return to Technical