NATION

PASSWORD

Shady Pop-Up/Spam Link?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Rostavykhan
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Shady Pop-Up/Spam Link?

Postby Rostavykhan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Not sure if I should link it, since I know it's dumb to link to anything shady on NS, but I just stumbled across one of those "you just won X item" tabs when it popped up upon me clicking on a thread. It's not explicit or anything, but it does seem to poorly imitate a Facebook aesthetic, and it popped up on its own when I selected a thread. Are such ads allowed on NS? I'd supported the site on an old nation, but not on this new one, so I haven't paid much attention.

Anyways, would spoilering the link or anything he helpful? I don't know what the site or ad is, the URL is really long, and the site itself doesn't SEEM malicious, but it does seem spammy.
LEARN TO HATE ; TOTAL HATRED FOR TOTAL WAR
LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE | FEED, SEED, SNEED

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Rostavykhan wrote:Not sure if I should link it, since I know it's dumb to link to anything shady on NS, but I just stumbled across one of those "you just won X item" tabs when it popped up upon me clicking on a thread. It's not explicit or anything, but it does seem to poorly imitate a Facebook aesthetic, and it popped up on its own when I selected a thread. Are such ads allowed on NS? I'd supported the site on an old nation, but not on this new one, so I haven't paid much attention.

Anyways, would spoilering the link or anything he helpful? I don't know what the site or ad is, the URL is really long, and the site itself doesn't SEEM malicious, but it does seem spammy.

What is the thread that caused you to find this? We don't have pop up ads, so either it's something on your end or someone posted something causing issues.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Rostavykhan
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Rostavykhan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:07 pm

I had just clicked on the Right Wing Thread in NSG, though nothing was linked there. I often lurk or post there anyways, and I've never had a pop-up before. I also usually use adblockers with the exception of sites like NS or a certain image board I use.

I haven't had any pop-ups before, and I've clicked around and not had any others, so I'm willing to bet it was just a weird coincidence.

EDIT: Nevermind, just got it again in the Cafe/Chat thread in P2TM. It appears to be the same advertiser, but a different ad. I haven't gotten the pop-ups on other sites, and I have a few tabs open.
Last edited by Rostavykhan on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:48 pm

Moving this to Technical. Please provide the name of your browser, its version, and a screencap of the advertisement and URL if you could.

Can you remember which page on each thread you had the issue? I just checked on the first and last pages of each, and had no issues. It's possible it's a malware issue (in which case, you should scan your computer). Just in case it isn't, though, screencaps help in case it's something an Admin need take a look at.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:55 pm

I switched over to a new ad provider recently so it could be something new. But pop-ups absolutely shouldn't be a thing. Please submit a screenshot and/or link if you can.

Rostavykhan
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Rostavykhan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:25 am

I got one just now (sorry, I sort of was in a weird mood the other day and I didn't want to be a bother and I sort of dipped out >.<), so here's the main one I've been getting.

Screencap, sorry for mobile.

Sorry for it being mobile...

Anyways, it's usually this, or the same link with an Apple style graphic. It only happens every now and then, but it began the day I made the thread. I'm only getting these on NS. I regularly browse YouTube, Twitter, a few image boards, and haven't had any issues at all.

I've looked into it a little bit, but haven't learned much.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:38 pm

You mean I’m not the only one having this issue? I only seem to have it on my iPad (probably because I use AdBlock on my MacBook) and clearing website data doesn’t help much. I use Safari on all my devices.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:14 pm

Funny, I just got the same thing on my phone when clicking absentmindedly on a link to a thread in gameplay. That's never happened before. Was too busy jamming the back button to catch a url or notice what specific product it was for, which I know isn't terribly helpful.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Tundra Terra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Tundra Terra » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:21 pm

I have seen and heard of these ads before. They're usually some spambot from a hacker looking for your personal information or bank account. If you're on mobile blocking cookies and getting new adblocker should help.
Current Status: Tundra is rocking with the Krieg...
We are a PMT Military and no We don't use NS stats.Why?
because..."WAR IS ETERNAL!!!"
"If bloodlust vikings, dorve tanks to school, had PMT-FT tech with Chaos -like fanaticism, this would be it."
-------------------------The Posthuman Coalition

─╤══̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╦︻ Put this in your sig if you are a war profiteer ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Trumpsupporter
Secretary

Founded: Aug 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Pop ups

Postby Trumpsupporter » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:36 pm

I keep being led offsite when I didn't click on anything and it's a mobile device. Is this a something off on Iphone ?
Last edited by Trumpsupporter on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Trumpsupporter wrote:I keep being led offsite when I didn't click on anything and it's a mobile device. Is this a something off on Iphone ?

Merged.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Autarchist Hinodia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Autarchist Hinodia » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:02 pm

I’ve been having this issue too, for a while. Glad to know I’m not the only one.
Imperial Autarchy of Hinodia"Lux Invicta!"
National Factbooks | Tech Level: Early Post Modern | Civilization Level: 13.7
A federation in Northeast Asia born from the flames of rebellion against an empire, Hinodia is currently led by a military dictatorship. Once a weak and isolationist state, it now moves to consolidate its position as Asia's dominant military power.

The Elysian Sun: RECONSTRUCTION IN SINA|Following the events of the Summer War and the annexation of Sina’s coastal regions, repairs to Sina’s infrastructure and the distribution of food to Sinan civilians is proceeding as planned under military supervision. Meanwhile, rumors of strange construction in the deserted western regions abound...

Rostavykhan
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Rostavykhan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:03 pm

Trumpsupporter wrote:I keep being led offsite when I didn't click on anything and it's a mobile device. Is this a something off on Iphone ?

It was. No pop-ups on my Amazon devices though.

The page redirected for me though, rather than pop up in a new tab, and it always did so either when i returned to my browser from another app, or in the middle of scrolling down a page, never when I clicked a thread. It wasn't spammy either, but happened infrequently, several times a day.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:50 pm

Tundra Terra wrote:I have seen and heard of these ads before. They're usually some spambot from a hacker looking for your personal information or bank account. If you're on mobile blocking cookies and getting new adblocker should help.

If I block cookies on my iPad then I can’t log into NationStates. Or at least that’s what happened last time I tried blocking cookies.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

The Last Stars
Envoy

Founded: Apr 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Last Stars » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:46 am

Following this as I stumble into the same problem on my Android device on occasions. However I haven't experienced this yet on my iPad if that helps too.
I don't think I'm going to use NS stats...
FanT/FFT bad space empire with Lovecraftian Monster leaders and furry citizens who aren't that bright. Mostly comical and casual. ** Haha, jumping into RP thread frightens me but feel free to TG me to talk!! **
GOING THROUGH A MASSIVE THEME REHAUL.
A Class 2.75 Civilization according to this index.
National Anthem!

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks, I've reported it to our new ad provider. Hopefully they can block these.

If you are able to report the URL for an ad (on desktop: right-click -> Copy Link Address), that's very helpful.

Edit: These should be blocked now.
Last edited by [violet] on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of the Soviet Republics
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of the Soviet Republics » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 am

[violet] wrote:Thanks, I've reported it to our new ad provider. Hopefully they can block these.

If you are able to report the URL for an ad (on desktop: right-click -> Copy Link Address), that's very helpful.

Edit: These should be blocked now.

So me and a few friends have been getting this issue where we simply get a new website instead of the nationstates website. This is usually a kind of spam site and was wondering if u still wanted the link.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Yes, absolutely. URLs and/or screenshots are very helpful.

United States of the Soviet Republics
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of the Soviet Republics » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:52 am

[violet] wrote:Yes, absolutely. URLs and/or screenshots are very helpful.

http://10.1.75.252/access?QUQHDSMKWMKBE ... DDWWDOORWD

I have gotten this link 4 times so far all when i was browsing nationstates.

Sisuvia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sisuvia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:11 pm

I've been repeatedly getting these again in the regional boards and in my nation homescreen. It was gone for a while when the issue was brought up a few weeks ago, but it's happening again now.

Here are the links of the sites, I don't know if anyone can do anything with them, but they seem to be a "Walmart Win" and "Samsung Win" site. I've seen an amazon one too, but I don't think it's been recent.
http://walmartwin2018.club/lp/96d1bcba-a080-4faf-870c-53d287146d84/?country=United+States&ip=70.189.180.110&brand=Samsung&parm3=0.5718841552734375&model=SM-G930P&pid=203&code=US&city=Las+Vegas&parm4=-2.6536407470703125&fid=2875&aclid=&parm1=1.0&parm2=1.0384979248046875&parm5=9.645462036132812&language=en&uid=3&clk=299628485&isp=Cox+Communications&cid=580&os=Android#T

http://walmartwin2018.club/lp/96d1bcba- ... =Android#R

http://walmartwin2018.club/lp/96d1bcba- ... os=Android

http://samsung-2018-win.club/lp/a2ef180 ... =Android#T

http://samsung-2018-win.club/lp/a2ef180 ... =Android#R

http://samsung-2018-win.club/lp/a2ef180 ... os=Android

It's just a little hard to do anything on here or post in my region when every other second I'm getting pulled to a scam site

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical